MozillaZine

unresponsive script - hotmail & firefox

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
divingbell

Post Posted January 30th, 2011, 5:02 pm

Hi,

so I've spent a bit of time looking into this, and haven't found a solution that works for me yet. It's the unresponsive script error that I keep getting ONLY when I use Hotmail in Firefox. Error screenshotted here:
http://i55.tinypic.com/2ihmqef.gif

I have already altered the dom.max_script_run_time and set it to 20, the error still occurs. It happens when I go from WindowsLive to Hotmail, and if I try to use the embedded Messenger in the browser (it will pop up when I sign in, and then consecutively when I get messages from people). I also receive the pop up when I refresh the page, in Hotmail. This error does not occur with IE, so I believe this to be an error with Firefox/PC and Hotmail.

.. Upon posting this, without touching my Hotmail tab, the error just popped up about 7 times consecutively, freezing the browser. :(

Please let me know what the fix is for this, thank you.

Grumpus

Post Posted January 30th, 2011, 5:38 pm

Thinking you have hit the "Continue" button have you tried to set the script timing for longer than the default 20?
Maybe these two links provide some insight into settings:
Dom.max_script_run_time
Dom.max_chrome_script_run_time
My thought here is to allow the script to run longer with an infinity setting, no guarantee on safety or security if you do so.

divingbell

Post Posted January 30th, 2011, 7:31 pm

Hitting 'continue' or 'stop script' prompts the same response. Eventually the notification ceases to pop up, but it will show up again if the page is refreshed, or if I sign in again, use Messenger in the browser etc.

I'm not too comfortable adjusting the setting further on the dom.max stuff. There should be an alternate solution than me messing with a script I don't fully understand, and it hasn't been a permanent solution. I'm curious as to why I don't encounter the unresponsive script error on a Mac.

Grumpus

Post Posted January 31st, 2011, 5:43 am

It could be the onus is on Hotmail and Messenger, something in their internal works which triggers a conflict or looks insecure to Firefox.

It might help if you place the page in the W3C Vlaidator
Set it to Verbose and list messages sequentially.
See what kind of output you get.

You may also want to use the DOM inspector and also look at your "Error console"
Before hand temporarily change the java.options.strict setting in about:config to "strict" change it back later if it's a bit too much for your cruising.
This is for a better read in the Error Console under /Tools.

Return to Firefox Support