User Help for Mozilla Firefox
-21grams

Re: Keyboard shortcut for Paste and Go?

Post by -21grams »

Fair enough, I'll give it a try ;)
Kevin McFarlane

Post by Kevin McFarlane »

With Add-on Compatibility Reporter I was also able to get gleeBox (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/gleebox/) working. The dev team said it was too much work to update for FF4 because of its revamped architecture. Yet it does run! Maybe some bits don't work but it works good enough for me so far. :)
Kevin McFarlane

-21grams wrote:Fair enough, I'll give it a try ;)

I was a little apprehensive too, but tried it on work machine first. :lol:

I've just tried it at home, no problems.
buggeer

Post by buggeer »

Thank God the add-on still works. Anyway Mozilla failed miserably by not implementing a keyboard shortcut.
wmarcello

Post by wmarcello »

If you're looking for a keyboard shortcut for paste and go, doesn't that mean the URL bar already has focus? If you're pasting with Ctrl-V, it only takes a fraction of a second to hit Enter. It would probably take longer to wrap your fingers around a 3 key shortcut. Am I missing something here?

Edit: Nevermind, seems like somebody already brought up that point. I don't see it as a big deal having to press Enter, but I guess that's what Firefox is all about... tweaking to the nth degree. :)
buggeer

Post by buggeer »

wmarcello wrote:If you're looking for a keyboard shortcut for paste and go, doesn't that mean the URL bar already has focus?

It doesn't. Witch paste and go extension you don't even have to click anywhere. You just press CTRL+B. Whether you select awesome bar or not it still works
wmarcello

Post by wmarcello »

buggeer wrote:It doesn't. Witch paste and go extension you don't even have to click anywhere. You just press CTRL+B. Whether you select awesome bar or not it still works

Ah, so you'd be going from 3 actions (Ctrl-L, Ctrl-V, Enter) down to 1 action (Ctrl-B)? That I can see being quite convenient for somebody who uses it all the time.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

You can also double-click on a word (or link), drag it to the urlbar, click the urlbar, and press Enter. If you drag it to the searchbar, the search is immediate.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
buggeer

Post by buggeer »

wmarcello wrote:
buggeer wrote:It doesn't. Witch paste and go extension you don't even have to click anywhere. You just press CTRL+B. Whether you select awesome bar or not it still works

Ah, so you'd be going from 3 actions (Ctrl-L, Ctrl-V, Enter) down to 1 action (Ctrl-B)? That I can see being quite convenient for somebody who uses it all the time.

I'm one of them. A week ago I've painfully realised how much this keyboard shortcut helped me in the past as I've been looking for a new desktop and had to search for "Intel Matrix Storage" and other things implemented in Sandy Bridge so I've finally got angry and created this thread. Thanks to Gingerbread Man's links I've been able to get my dear shortcut back.

patrickjdempsey wrote:You can also double-click on a word (or link), drag it to the urlbar, click the urlbar, and press Enter. If you drag it to the searchbar, the search is immediate.

Yeah, but it's a lot more than simply pressing CTRL+B just after selecting some text.
Kevin McFarlane

Yes. A typical scenario is: I might copy a link from somewhere - either in the browser or another app that's not hyperlinked. Then I switch to FF. Ctrl+T to switch to a tab. The focus is already on the address bar. Then Ctrl+Shift+V and page displays.

Now without the shortcut I would do Ctrl+V and then Enter. Doesn't seem like I'm saving much. However, when I do Ctrl+V my left hand is already next to the shift key so it's easier and quicker to just do Ctrl+Shift+V than Ctrl+V and Enter.

In Opera the default is Ctrl+B. But you can set up Ctrl+Shift+V if you prefer. Keyboard customisation is one of Opera's strengths. Ctrl+Shift+V is more natural for me as I use that in other applications to do enhanced pasting, e.g., multiple clipboard pasting in Microsoft Visual Studio.
cowboy

Post by cowboy »

Not sure if this was exactly what the conversation was about.... but in any case what I've been looking for, is something I miss from when I was working in a UNIX enviroment, where as soon as you dragged and highlighted an area it was automatically copied to the clip board ie no need to do that AND do a ctrl-C or right click and copy.

Sure would be nice to have that feature....
Jn 17:17
Gingerbread Man

Post by Gingerbread Man »

That's not even remotely related.

1. Type about:config in the address bar and press Enter.
  2. Press the big button to bypass the warning.
  3. In the Filter bar, paste clipboard.autocopy
  4. In the search results, double-click clipboard.autocopy to set its value to true (default on Linux).

Edit: It looks like this doesn't work on Windows. You can try an extension like ClickCutter AutoCopy.
Last edited by Gingerbread Man on April 3rd, 2011, 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
patrickjdempsey

Ctrl-B is the shortcut for the bookmarks sidebar in Firefox FYI.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
buggeer

Post by buggeer »

patrickjdempsey wrote:Ctrl-B is the shortcut for the bookmarks sidebar in Firefox FYI.

I assume you've never even tired "past and go 2" :P ? Because if you did, you failed to grasp it's mighty features #-o
patrickjdempsey

Not even remotely curious.... but I haven't used any other browser other than Firefox for about 6 years now so I'm pretty comfortable with how it does stuff.