Disable "Restore Previous Session" in Firefox 4?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Newer should be better...

Re: Disable "Restore Previous Session" in Firefox 4?

Post by Newer should be better... »

As I'm only a moderately skilled computer user, I've always favoured Firefox over other browsers, primarily because I use a mobile modem connection, and I get charged for every meg I use - Firefox has always kept any type of 'Adware' to a minimum - but I'm sorry guys - you messed this version up. Other people have access to my laptop, either through it being in my open office, or through theft.... Although there have been some very helpful posts on this site, why should someone such as myself have to press keys with trepidation, wondering whether or not they're one keystroke away from a trip to the computer store...? Surely a simple solution would be a little check box that can let me make my own mind up on this issue? Hasn't Firefox always been a bastion of personal privacy? I think your latest version is ill considered, to say the least.....B minus
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

err, Established in 1998, MozillaZine is an independent Mozilla news, community and advocacy site.

MozillaZine is not run by the Mozilla Foundation and is not an official part of the Mozilla project.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
Newer should be better...

Post by Newer should be better... »

My apologies, THEY messed it up - and hopefully one of them reads what I wrote......
amogh1988

Post by amogh1988 »

Simplest way is change ur start up screen to google.com or the one u want auto restore would be temprorarily hidden :D
vsub

Post by vsub »

I can restore the session from the History Menu,so changing the home page doesn't do much.

I prefer the code that I posted on my previous post(this hides both the button and the menu)
yaryara

Post by yaryara »

vsub wrote:Put this into userChrome.css/Stylish to disable(hide) the button and the menu in the History

Code: Select all

#restorePreviousSession, #historyRestoreLastSession {display: none !important;}

walk me through this
vsub

Post by vsub »

Do you have the add-on Stylish installed...the explanation depends on what you have
vmedlock

Post by vmedlock »

underscoreTom wrote:
patrickjdempsey wrote:So simply setup Firefox to erase your browsing history on exit. If you do that there will be no session to restore and no snooping to be done (although if you have passwords saved ANYONE using your machine can look at your list to see which sites you have passwords saved for and then visit them). Which is why basically you should never ever save passwords on a machine that other people may use.

Agreed...if one is that paranoid of someone else snooping on their browser history, simply set Firefox to delete all history on exit.

Unfortunately, this doesn't work on FF 5 for Mac. Preference is set to erase all (history, cookies, forms, passwords, etc.), yet "Restore Previous Session" still works.

There really needs to be a workable fix for this.
Gingerbread Man

Post by Gingerbread Man »

vsub wrote:Put this into userChrome.css/Stylish to disable(hide) the button and the menu in the History

#restorePreviousSession, #historyRestoreLastSession {display: none !important;}

That's incorrect. The button in about:home is in the HTML namespace, so the code for it goes in userContent.css. And you've omitted the menu item under the Firefox button.

On Macs, the menus are handled by the operating system, so you can only hide the button in about:home. I imagine the same is true for Ubuntu Unity.

For Stylish,

@namespace html url(http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml);
@namespace xul url(http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul);

@-moz-document url(about:home) {
  html|button#restorePreviousSession { display: none !important }
}

xul|menuitem#historyRestoreLastSession,
xul|menuitem#appmenu_restoreLastSession {
  display: none !important
}

If you prefer userChrome.css/userContent.css instead:

userContent.css:

@-moz-document url(about:home) {
  #restorePreviousSession { display: none !important }
}

userChrome.css (omit the first line if it's already in the file):

@namespace url(http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul);

#historyRestoreLastSession,
#appmenu_restoreLastSession {
  display: none !important
}
Restore no more

Post by Restore no more »

When you finish your session,click on home,close FF,open FF,click on home,close FF.
Next time you open FF the Restore Previous Session will have no content.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Locking due to spam.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)