Unable to turn session restore off in Firefox 4?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
RichardGv

Unable to turn session restore off in Firefox 4?

Post by RichardGv »

I was testing disabling session restore on my Firefox 4 installed on Gentoo (official ebuild), and found it never actually worked.

I used a perfectly clean profile. I firstly followed the instructions in the mozillaZine KB article to change the preferences "browser.sessionstore.max_tabs_undo" and "browser.sessionstore.max_windows_undo" to 0; then followed the instruction on support.mozilla.com to additionally turn "browser.sessionstore.resume_from_crash" off.

But when I shutdown Firefox, removed sessionstore.js from the profile, restarted Firefox, browsed a few pages, then shut it down again, I found sessionstore.js was recreated with all the information of the tabs I opened before Firefox shut down.

Any ideas why this is happening? I did a bit search in Bugzilla, and found no reports.

(Another mysterious thing is the modified preferences are not shown in about:support, even though browser.sessionstore is not in the PREFS_WHITELIST constant in chrome://global/content/aboutSupport.js . I checked prefs.js and the preferences correctly set.)

about:support:

Code: Select all

Application Basics

Name
        Firefox

Version

User Agent
        Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:2.0) Gecko/20110325 Firefox/4.0

Profile Directory

Open Containing Folder

Enabled Plugins

about:plugins

Build Configuration

about:buildconfig

Extensions

Name

Version

Enabled

ID

Modified Preferences

Name

Value

browser.places.smartBookmarksVersion

browser.startup.homepage_override.buildID

browser.startup.homepage_override.mstone
        rv:2.0

extensions.lastAppVersion

network.cookie.prefsMigrated
        true

places.history.expiration.transient_current_max_pages

privacy.sanitize.migrateFx3Prefs
        true

Graphics

GPU Accelerated Windows
        0/1

about:buildconfig

Code: Select all

<h1>about:buildconfig</h1>

<h2>Build platform</h2>
<table>
  <tbody>
    <tr>
      <th>target</th>
    </tr>
    <tr>
      <td>x86_64-pc-linux-gnu</td>

</tr>
  </tbody>
</table>
<h2>Build tools</h2>
<table>
  <tbody>
    <tr>
      <th>Compiler</th>
      <th>Version</th>

<th>Compiler flags</th>
    </tr>
    <tr>
      <td> x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc</td>
      <td>gcc version 4.5.2 (Gentoo 4.5.2 p1.0, pie-0.4.5) </td>
      <td> -Wall -W -Wno-unused -Wpointer-arith -Wcast-align -W -march=native -pipe -Wno-return-type -w -fno-strict-aliasing -pthread -pipe  -DNDEBUG -DTRIMMED -O2</td>

</tr>
    <tr>
      <td> x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-g++</td>
      <td>gcc version 4.5.2 (Gentoo 4.5.2 p1.0, pie-0.4.5) </td>
      <td> -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions -Wall -Wpointer-arith -Woverloaded-virtual -Wsynth -Wno-ctor-dtor-privacy -Wno-non-virtual-dtor -Wcast-align -Wno-invalid-offsetof -Wno-variadic-macros -Werror=return-type -march=native -pipe -Wno-return-type -w -fno-strict-aliasing -fshort-wchar -pthread -pipe  -DNDEBUG -DTRIMMED -O2 </td>
    </tr>

</tbody>
</table>
<h2>Configure arguments</h2>
<p>--enable-application=xulrunner --enable-optimize=-O2 --with-system-jpeg --with-system-zlib --enable-pango --enable-svg --enable-system-cairo --disable-installer --disable-pedantic --disable-updater --disable-strip --disable-strip-libs --disable-install-strip --enable-single-profile --disable-profilesharing --disable-profilelocking --enable-default-toolkit=cairo-gtk2 --enable-ogg --enable-wave --enable-dbus --disable-debug --disable-tests --disable-debugger-info-modeules --enable-libnotify --enable-startup-notification --enable-system-sqlite --with-sqlite-prefix=/usr --disable-necko-wifi --enable-shared-js --enable-webm --with-system-libvpx --enable-tracejit --with-system-nspr --with-nspr-prefix=/usr --with-system-nss --with-nss-prefix=/usr --x-includes=/usr/include --x-libraries=/usr/lib64 --with-system-libevent=/usr --enable-system-hunspell --disable-gnomevfs --disable-gnomeui --enable-gio --enable-storage --enable-places --enable-places_bookmarks --enable-oji --enable-mathml --disable-mochitest --with-default-mozilla-five-home=/usr/lib64/xulrunner-2.0 --disable-mailnews --enable-canvas --enable-safe-browsing --enable-system-sqlite --enable-extensions=default --prefix=/usr --build=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu --host=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info --datadir=/usr/share --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var/lib --libdir=/usr/lib64</p>
</body>
Hopethishelps

Re: Unable to turn session restore off in Firefox 4?

Post by Hopethishelps »

I did not like the session restore feature in FF 4. I uninstalled FF 4 and reinstalled. During the second install, I imported all my data from IE8 and that seem to disable the FF 4 session restore.