Real Player

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Lost User 110116

Real Player

Post by Lost User 110116 »

Hello - How can I get Real Player to work - I have it installed but when I click a link (eg Amazon) to listen to a sample of music all that happens is a box appears which tells me to save to disc - Hurl .exe - but on trying to o0pen Hurl.exe I get a very long message saying in can't be opened
Thank you
azmar

Post by azmar »

See if this guide helps: Embedded Real Media Guide for Windows
Vectorspace

Post by Vectorspace »

The hurl.exe file not an exe file, but actually a Real Media playlist. Telling it to open in Real Player should work.
I don't have Real Player so I can't be sure, but I have Real Alternative - when I tell Firefox to open hurl.exe in Media Player Classic, it works.
"All things being equal, the simplest answer is usually the correct one" - Occam's Razor
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:5.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/5.0
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:5.0) Gecko/20110624 Thunderbird/5.0
Lost User 110116

Post by Lost User 110116 »

Vectorspace - when the hurl .exe box appears 'the open with' is greyed out and the only option is 'save to disk' and that then does not work

azmar - thanks for the suggestion - I have carried out all instructions included in the article and it still does not work on the Amazon site (it does using IE) - but it is now working OK on some other sites - so I am assuming it will not work on the Amazon site because of the reasons mentioned in the article

Thanks for the replies
Vectorspace

Post by Vectorspace »

Post a new topic asking why the 'open with' box is greyed out - it's a separete problem that I have heard of but never looked into.
"All things being equal, the simplest answer is usually the correct one" - Occam's Razor
martinedwards1248

Post by martinedwards1248 »

I was confused when prompted to open hurl.exe from the Amazon website - EXE being the file type Windows users should be most wary of opening. IE does not prompt you, it just opens Realplayer. Is this something Amazon should sort out, or should something be changed in Firefox? How does IE know it's not just a normal EXE? Firefox must know too because it says "hurl.exe which is a: RealPlayer Presentation" in the download prompt. Would be interested to know more.
jcreature

Real Player not playing

Post by jcreature »

Since I downloaded Firefox my Real Player streaming audio is not operating
properly particularly with the BBC Worldservice site. When it plays, it sounds
like a computer generated voice. Totally weird and not intelligible. So I went
to BBC site and they have a thing saying if you are using Mozilla-based browser,
there may be a problem with plugins. And that I'm supposed to go to plugin folders
and copy C:/program files etc. This sounds PC based and I'm not sure where Mozilla
puts plugins and how to rectify this. I trashed the old Real Player application
and
re-downloaded it but to no avail. Maybe I need to remove the cache -- but not sure
where OSX puts it. I'm at a loss. Any ideas?
Jeanine
Vectorspace

Post by Vectorspace »

martinedwards1248: Firefox determines what files are based on the MIME type - something the server sends identifying the file. IE examines the file and decides for itself what it is, only falling back on the MIME type as a last resort. Firefox asks you instead of automatically opening the file with Real Player because the default setting is always to ask.

jcreature: If you install Firefox after Real Player, then Firefox might not have all the plugin files. Uninstall Real Player and re-install it.
Then view the "Complete Embedded Media Player Plugin Guide" sticky post - it includes info on how to set up Real Player so it should work better in Firefox.
jcreature

real player

Post by jcreature »

Hi, I did reinstall Firefox. Actually 3 times this weekend, to no avail.
I can't get it to play anything right. It's all distorted.
And the plug in guide is only for PC, not mac, so not sure how to proceed.
Vectorspace

Post by Vectorspace »

I said reinstall Real Player.

Post by Guest »

Sorry, I meant to say I reinstalled Real Player, not Firefox.
jetcell

Post by jetcell »

I actually had the same problem with Amazon's Real files, but I found a different solution to it. Firefox wouldn't let me choose how to open hurl.exe, but it would let me choose how to open a .ram file. After choosing to open a .ram file with RealPlayer, it recognized the Amazon hurl.exe files as .ram files and played them with no problems.

Look for a site with .ram files like <a href="http://rpgfan.com/soundtracks/gensosui-pc2/index.html">this one</a>. I used Real Alternative 1.3

Post by Guest »

Thank you, Vectorspace, that answers my question then.
martinedwards1248

Thank you, Vectorspace, that answers my question.
martinedwards1248

Ouch double post, sorry!