Firefox memory leak the cause of most problems

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
survivor78

Re: Firefox memory leak the cause of most problems

Post by survivor78 »

Ok, so I used just the DEFAULT profile, BEFORE I recreated the two profiles. Again, instead of selectively quoting my posts re read the entire thread, and you will see the problem exists with a clean install of FF with only the default profile. I use Avira and Comodo on my desktop, and because it's free, Norton on my Vaio. And BTW, on the second HP laptop, (the wife's) the problem DID exist, it's just the wife doesn't do as much and she doesn't notice when things go a bit wrong, but after asking her she did notice a lag on her computer and has since switched to (gasp) IE for now.

Stop trying to blame the user only because the issue doesn't exist for you specifically. I am no fool and do know how to troubleshoot software issues. Been using computers since 1973.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

survivor78 wrote: it's just the wife doesn't do as much and she doesn't notice when things go a bit wrong, but after asking her she did notice a lag on her computer

Well, if you asked her in the same purple face and bulging eyes way that you write here, then I'm not surprised she 'confessed'.

Forget Firefox, your future lies in Gitmo.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

survivor78 wrote:I am no fool and do know how to troubleshoot software issues. Been using computers since 1973.

I've been using computers since 1962 and I'm not impressed. Note, after reading this entire thread I don't believe you know what you're talking about; talking louder doesn't make it clearer or correct.
FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Of course it's possible that there's some problem on your computer but not on mine. But how could we ever find it if you won't take any suggestions or try any troubleshooting? There are a couple of possibilities that we can check. Why don't you just humor me and try a new account on the computer? If there's still a problem, there may be a few questions, and then we're done.

But don't make any changes, OK? because otherwise no one can tell how you are testing it. And just one machine, please. Don't mix them up, or we'll never figure it out.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

survivor78 wrote:When doing so I created, as always, two profiles one for me, one for the wife. Out of curiosity I then opened my wife's profile, and the PROBLEM DOESN'T EXIST! This tells me it IS something specific to my profile...

Using my wife's profile I started adding in the extensions I like. For awhile all was well, now I have the same problem in her profile. I had installed Xmarks, NoScript, Colorful Tabs, ok. I then added Personas and then Last Pass, and the same issue started up again. I saw Xmarks perform a synchronization, and that was when ram usage started increasing....

So there you have it. THE PROBLEM DIDN'T EXIST (your words) until you started adding extensions.

survivor78 wrote:...but I did try FF freshly installed and the problem was there.

There are any number of mistakes you could have made here, including, among others, (1) using a previous profile you didn't know was there; and (2) deleting the prototype profile instead of the actual one. Troubleshooting Firefox is simple if you know how, but there are lots of ways to make mistakes (and we see them all the time, even from systems managers and other computer veterans).

But if you're not willing to take ANY of our suggestions, sorry, there's no way we can help you. Bye. If you change your mind, let us know.
vrm3

Post by vrm3 »

deleted by poster
Last edited by vrm3 on June 15th, 2011, 4:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

vrm3 wrote:I am using Firefox 4.0.1 on a Windows 7 computer with BitDefender.

Did you bother to Google search "BitDefender slows Firefox 4.0" ? ;)
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

I have tested FF and Chrome on 9 different web sites located in various parts of the world and started each test by clearing the cache. For FF I have many add-ons including NoScript, Adblock Plus, ..... The sites I tested were:

1. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/
  2. http://www.spiegel.de/international/
  3. http://online.wsj.com/home-page
  4. http://www.cmegroup.com/trading/energy/crude-oil/light-sweet-crude.html
  5. http://weather.yahoo.com/united-states/illinois/chicago-2379574/
  6. http://www.amazon.com/
  7. http://maps.google.com/
  8. http://www.wired.com/
  9. http://www.japantimes.co.jp/

The results are not unexpected. In the real world there is no difference. The time to load a page is a function of:

1. Server load
  2. Server geographic location
  3. Internet congestion
  4. Internet caching
  5. ISP congestion
  6. ISP caching of content
  7. Connection speed to your ISP
  8. Your local hardware (router, switch, Wifi, ....)
  9. NIC capability of your computer
  10. Your CPU and RAM capabilities
  11. AV or other background software
  12. Browser rendering engine

As noted above, there was no difference. Now I didn't use a digital stopwatch; however, from a human perception standpoint there was no difference.

Complete list of my add-ons/plugins for FF are (Chrome is naked out of the box):

Adblock Plus 1.3.8
Add-on Compatibility Reporter 0.8.5
Add-ons Toolbar Button 0.6.0.8
Autofill Forms 0.9.8.0
BBCodeXtra 0.3.2
BetterPrivacy 1.51
Clear Cache Button 4.0
Clippings 3.1.4
Cookie Monster 1.0.5
Default 5.0
DOM Inspector 2.0.9
DownloadHelper 4.9
Flagfox 4.1.3
Flip4Mac Windows Media Plugin 2.3.8 2.3.8.1
Form History Control 1.2.9.1
Greasemonkey 0.9.5
iPhotoPhotocast 7.0
keyconfig 20110522
Master Password Timeout 0.3.1
Menu Editor 1.2.7
Microsoft Office Live Plug-in 12.2.8
Nightly Tester Tools 3.1.7
NoScript 2.1.1.1
Organize Status Bar 0.6.5
PDF Browser Plugin 2.3.2
QuickTime Plug-in 7.6.6 7.6.6
RealPlayer Plugin.plugin 0.0.1d1
RefControl 0.8.15
Shockwave Flash 10.3.181.26
Shockwave for Director 11.5.9r615
Silverlight Plug-In 4.0.51204.0
Status-4-Evar 2011.04.06.18
Tamper Data 11.0.1
Test Pilot 1.1.1
User Agent Switcher 0.7.3
Web Developer 1.1.9

One last comment, I am running on OSX.

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Note also, vrm3, that your post has nothing to do with the subject of this thread. Surely mightyglydd solved your problem, but if you need more help, you need to start a new topic. Thanks.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

vrm3 wrote:Sadly this post is being made using Chrome.

Do get a grip and stop being so melodramatic, for God's sake.

Do you honestly think anyone gives a **** that I'm listening to Robert Palmer through Winamp, rather than using Quintessential Media Player? ...and what internet browser a person uses would be different in what way exactly?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

malliz wrote:Actually if it's the thread I am thinking of the OP then proceeded to troll several other threads making a complete donkey of himself and has continued to do so.

Fascinating. By the way, malliz, if you could what message would you really like to give to the guy who posts immediately after you?
Last edited by Frank Lion on June 15th, 2011, 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Ah mate an old Aussie expression would be used :wink:
Last edited by malliz on June 15th, 2011, 5:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Cleaned up the last couple of posts which is why Malliz is now calling Frank a script kiddy. You folks want report this crap rather then respond to it?
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

It happened so fast.... one minute we are dealing with a troublesome poster and the next minute we were surrounded by jabba the script kiddy 8-[
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
survivor78

Post by survivor78 »

Ok, last post. To those who have taken issue with me: Mr. Lion, Gitmo? Really? You're too funny. The fact is that for over a month there was no response at all after someone made the claim that they had found and fixed the leak issue. Suddenly Vanilla Mozilla wrote a post where he used MANY CAPS and basically called me a moron, not in so many words, of course. However if the folks here actually had read this entire thread it would be impossible not to see that I came here simply looking for help, and with respect for those who may or may not know more than I. After VM's post attacking me I then replied using the same method as he to where Lion and Mr. Moderator also responded with nothing but insults. How reasonable. And, as I could have typed that I've been using computers since'73 (a simple point, btw, to show that I am no newbie in the computing world, NOT an attempt to "impress") with no basis in fact, so could he have typed he'd been using machines since '62. The point being anyone can write anything in these anonymous fora, and has been the case for a very long time. Typing does not necessarily make it so. I have participated in many fora over the years both on the web and Usenet, and before the web WAS the web on BB systems and even the old online services Genie, Prodigy, Compuserve and even for a short while AOL. The trouble with those specialized groups such as Mozillazine, like others I have experienced such as the Roxio forums, are those that fancy themselves 'experts' have a superiority complex in that they somehow believe they are 'better' than those who are asking for their assistance. This invariably leads those 'experts' to use ad hominem attacks and insults to puff themselves up beyond all recognition. There are other fora, like Windows Secrets, e.g., where everyone is treated with respect and moderators simply, well... uh moderate, and don't themselves engage in the behavior they are there to prevent.

For the record: Yes, my wifes 'naked' profile _seemed_ to work ok until I added some add-ons, however, the _default_ profile on a completely fresh install with no add-ons or any other extensions still had the leak issue. This after removing all vestiges of the old install, both left over folders and registry entries. When she leaks, she lags. My main computer, which I already posted in the early stages of all this, is an HP i5. I did not post the other specifics so here they are: 8 gigs RAM, cable internet connection regularly running around 20-22 Mbps connected to a Linksys E2000 wireless N router, which is hardwired using a Gigabit network connection on the 'puter. I am fully aware of all the exigencies that may affect network speeds, and I still maintain that in a side by side comparison, using only my human capabilities, Chrome, right now with a few addons, is rendering pages, such as The Hunger Site, and all of the component tabs on that page, as well as MyComcast.net and a few others noticeably snappier than FF. This is not an affront to FF only an observation. Fanboi's, get a grip. I, as stated many times, prefer to use Firefox for many reasons, but until I see that the issue has been repaired, either by Mozilla or through my own efforts on my machine(s), I will use Chrome for my everyday surfing. I have not, as yet reverted to an older version of FF, which other's here and elsewhere have done, which fixed their leaking/lagging issues. The fact that so many folks have seemingly the same or similar issues on what seems to me to be all on Windows machines, (my own Linux install works fine) says that there is some connection between FF 4.0.1 and perhaps some Windows component as yet unidentified. When this has been the case with other Windows software in such a widespread manner, either Microsoft, the software developer, or both together usually come up with a fix or at least a workaround addressing the problem. Anecdotally, the FF issues are too widespread for Mozilla to completely ignore the problem, or for the people here to stick their fingers in their ears whilst lalalaing.

In the meantime to those who have honestly tried to help, thank you, and that includes Vanilla Mozilla, who even though he or she was the seeming instigator to this latest ridiculous almost flame war, seems to actually be trying to HELP. To those others who only wish to try and humiliate, belittle, or otherwise attack those of us who requested assistance I hope you are pleased with yourselves and your existence.