Thoughts on Missing Bookmarks

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
yebaws

Post by yebaws »

now as far as getting your old bookmarks back somehow and taking what I said above...you could look for and "Try" a file recovery program,have it scan your drive for a hour or two(if it takes even that long) and try to locate the profile folder and/or lost bookmarks html file

Problem is that I think the bookmarks.html file is overwritten rather than deleted...
AnotherGuest.

Post by AnotherGuest. »

Folks,
If you do lose your bookmarks, please post as accurate a description as possible, so someone can determine what happened. Here's a screen shot of a procedure you can use to find the bookmarks files. Here's a comprehensive discussion, ranging from the simple method to try first, to the method that will find any bookmarks file.
Last edited by AnotherGuest. on May 25th, 2005, 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
short1

Post by short1 »

ok.. i have had my bookmarks disapeared like 10 times.. i make a weekly backup of bookmarks in mydocs since i have over 300 bookmarks..

my small intructrions:
if you open ff and bookmarks gone, LEAVE firefox open!
search for the bookmarks.bak , copy it to desktop,rename to .html
close firefoxm, reopen FF and import the file using bookmark manager.

for me if i close ff it will overwrite the backup and then its REALLY gone.... anyways.. right now ff is glitching bad.. its keep reverting settins of foxy tunes, and where i place my bookmarks (i put to the right of tools,help etc) in that blank spot,.. .. its really bad right now.. i dont know.. . its weird glitch.. i think its time for new profile..

unfortunate.. firefox is REALLY kickass.. but thanks for info about bookmark backup.. :D yay!
short1

Post by short1 »

SOLVED PROBLEM !!! if your settings are getting resset it may be a problem with your drive! run scandisk!

i did and shure enuf, localstore.rdf had an error 'stored in invalid location' what scandisk said.. i turncated the file and problem fixed.. < also prevented me from copying my profile folder to make a backup, windows says cant file is write protected or w/e, even tho firefox was closed!...... so try, close firefox and try to copy and paste your profile folder, if you cant do that, thats the problem with bookmarks/settings disapearing!!

so im thinking, if firefox freezes and a file remains locked (say bookmarks.html). when firefox starts and cant open or cant find ANY file, it simply resets settings rather then crash the program!....:D

hope that helps ppl
heathrob

Thoughts on Missing Bookmarks...

Post by heathrob »

I was able to find and import my lost bookmarks due to the helpful members of this posting group, however I still cannot seem to find a way to have them show up on the Personal Toolbar. They still show up in the Personal Toolbar Folder, but cannot be accessed on the toolbar. Oh well, just a little added time getting to them and not actually a big deal. And... since I now know where to look for them in case of a relapse on FF's part, this is not such a hardship for me either.
However, this 'bug' (?) has got to be addressed/fixed/looked deeper into as it seems to be a rather big screw-up for most of the people who use this product and wish to continue using it, as the previous posts detail. 'Losing' any needed information due to a 'glitch' in software is absolutely detrimental to any user, however skilled they may be in computers.
Just my thoughts, and thanks for the much needed information on how to get my bookmarks back!
jboucher

Post by jboucher »

Well I've joined the ranks of lost bookmarks. And yes, they are definitely lost. I have an old Xerox laser printer on my machine running XP SP2. When I print, the system occasionally reboots on me. So I always save before printing. It's happened a number of times within FF and with other apps. Never been a problem. Well today it was a problem. I was trying to print something and had FF running the background. My system rebooted as usual. Not a big deal, never been one as long as I saved my document first just in case. But this time I lost my bookmarks. First thing I did was go and look at the profile but no luck. I was unaware of the backup bookmarks kept my FF and learned about it on the web so went and checked that. Also no luck. By profession I do forensic data recovery (well actually more than just data recovery, but not important). My first thought was to go to the office and use some of my tools to try and find my bookmarks in unallocated. But I decided not to, as I could import my bookmarks from IE and ended up losing only about 4-6 months of newer stuff.

Now these next steps I am suggesting as a means to recover bookmarks is not for the faint of heart.

I then decided to boot over to my Linux partition (on a separate drive). From within Linux I confirmed which drive/partition I wanted to work on - in other words where bookmarks are saved (hda2 in my case). I ran the following command line as root# cat /dev/hda2 | strings | grep "<DT><A HREF=" >bookmarks.html. A few explanations here, I am displaying the entire content of the partition, piping it to strings (so only printable caracters are displayed), and then filtered (grep) for lines that have <DT><A HREF= in them (which is how bookmarks are saved in bookmarks.html). I then piped the output to a file called bookmarks.html. My primary partition is about 15 gigs. It processed it in under 5 minutes. One caution when doing this is if you already have a file called bookmarks.html in the directory in which you ran this command, this will overwrite it.

This works best with minimum amount of activity on the system after you discovered you've lost your bookmarks. Because all activity (even just booting the system) writes to the drive, and potentially could overwrite some of this deleted data. You will notice some of the lines will have lots of garbled text with it. This is base64 icons from what I can see from the .png file used to display the icon associated with the bookmark. But the actual bookmark will still be in front of this.

You then have the task of going through the file that was created and finding all those old bookmarks and either navigating back to those pages and resaving, or just you may be able to use the import feature (I didn't try that yet, just finished this a bit earlier). If you want to be even more thorough, you could try and find the first line of the bookmark file and then figure out the size of the bookmarks in unallocated, and dd them back out to a file. But what I suggest works out well enough to at least get them back, and then some (because there will be others in unallocated and allocated, because we are working on the entire partition, including other users). If you have encrypted file system enabled, this will not work obviously because your data will be encrypted.

If you don't have a Linux partition on your system, you could use a bootable live Linux CD (such as Knoppix, Helix, Mepis, Suse Live 9.1, or any other). But to save the output, you'll have to mount a floppy, a flash drive, or a FAT32 partition on a local drive (or mount a network drive if you want, but a floppy or flash drive would be much, much easier). Because if you output it to the local directory in the live environment, that will be lost when you turn off the system.

I purposely didn't provide step by step instructions on how to do all this because I would not encourage a novice to try this. Like I stated at the beginning, not for the faint of heart. If you've never used Linux at all, or even never used command line in Linux (because you'll have to use fdisk to confirm the partition you want to work on if you are unsure), I don't recommend this. You could also mount the partition read only if you have NTFS support so you can browse it first to make sure you are running it on the right device. Those with enough comfort level will be able to stumble through these instructions without damaging anything.
jboucher

Post by jboucher »

Hmmm, last message got truncated. Don't have time to retype it all, so here's a real summary. As root,
cat/dev/hda2 | strings | grep "<DT><A HREF=" >bookmarks.html. Make sure you don't have a file by that name in that folder, or it will get overwritten by this command. For those without a Linux partition, you can use a live CD such as Knoppix, Mepis, Helix, SuSe Live, or other live distro. I had all kinds of other cautions in my first message. Should have copied/pasted to a text editor just in case. If you have any questions, post them and I will try to answer them. But if you never used Linux, or have but only at gui, I don't recommend this. I was able to recover quite a few bookmarks. Now I have to see if they import easily, or if I will have to manually browse through the file that was created. Good luck, and backup is your friend (I always knew that, but never anticipated it would be an issue with my bookmarks).
yebaws

Post by yebaws »

Anybody from the FF development team like to comment?

Do you monitor this board?
jboucher

Post by jboucher »

Ok, this is not working. Seems it doesn't like content that looks like html. Third attempt, even shorter (had lots of good tips in the first, some in the second, this one is to the point). What should be actual keystrokes will be in square brackets [].
cat /dev/hda2 | strings | grep "[less than sign]DT[greater than sign][less than sign]A HREF=" [greater than sign] bookmarks.html

This will display the content of the partition (allocated & unallocated), filter for printable characters only, search for the html code at the beginning of a bookmark line, and then pipe the output to a file called bookmarks.html. If you don't have Linux, you can use a live boot CD. This is not for the novice. Backup is your friend. I've learned that before, I've learned it again. Didn't think it was an issue with my bookmarks.
jboucher

Post by jboucher »

If you are considering doing this and need some help, e-mail me at jboucher[at]writeme.com (change the [at] for @ of course). I will attempt to provide you some assistance by e-mail. But I make no promise. And if you are a novice at Linux (or never used it), I don't recommend it and can't get into trying to bring you up to speed to do this. Sorry. Choose your subject line carefully if e-mailing me because that account gets 99% spam, and I delete most of what I receive unless it's clearly not spam.
jboucher

Post by jboucher »

Further to my last post, I imported the bookmarks.html file that was created from the previously noted Linux command. Worked great in that they were all exported, but at the root of my bookmarks. Now I have to go and clean them up, and delete the ones that were not part of my bookmarks (and remove duplications if applicable).
hellene

Post by hellene »

yebaws wrote:Anybody from the FF development team like to comment?

Do you monitor this board?
No, and No. Post in this thread http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... highlight= with your experiences, the guy who started it is trying to put together enough information to actually determine what (if anything - more than one thing?) the bug might be. "Loses bookmarks" is not enough, as apart from anything else, around 60% of lost bookmarks are not lost, they have done a temporary disappearing act due to (for example) accidentally switching profiles.
I don't know how to do any of this stuff, I just hire the guys that do
Have you considered reading the HELP folder. Right there on your menu bar.
Image by Juniper http onic.net/~daylight/ - Xmas special by Ol Grumpy
jboucher

Post by jboucher »

Further update, I redid my Linux command line differently. The first line in a FF bookmarks.html contains "DOCTYPE NETSCAPE-Bookmark-file". So I did the following in Linux:
cat /dev/hda2 | strings | grep -A 700 "DOCTYPE NETSCAPE-Bookmark-file" [greater than sign] bookmks.html

Replace the [greater than sign] with the actual sign. The -A 700 tells it to take the next 700 lines after the match (allowing for a very large bookmark file - you can adjust accordingly if necessary - even with several hundred bookmarks, it was plenty for me - by keeping it to less if possible, it's less post editing). I then opened the file and found the end of the first bookmark document, and deleted the remaining lines that were not applicable. Saved the file, then did the same for the second, then third, and so on. Until all I had left were a bunch of bookmark files within this one file. I then proceeded to carve each one out (i.e. copy/paste) to a new file. I then opened each one to see which appeared to be the most recent one. I found one that appears to be if not current, not even a week old. So I am back in business, with only 30 or so minutes of my time.

And for the record, I did really lose them. Before doing this, certainly do a search within Windows for bookmarks.html and bookmarks.bak just in case it was simply a case of a new profile. It was not the case for me. It's when you lose all your bookmarks that you realize their importance. From now on they get backed up regularly along with other stuff.
jboucher

Post by jboucher »

I tried posting in the other forum, but you have to be a registered user. Don't have time to do that now, maybe later. So I'm posting info here that they ask for there.
I am running WinXP Home with SP2 (with regular updates). I'm using FF 1.04. I had FF open in the background, and was printing a document in MS Word 97. I have a Xerox printer connected (old one, connected parallel) which occasionally causes my PC to re-boot due to driver for XP not being quite right. I always have my settings to view hidden & system files, but I did not find my bookmarks.html file anywhere else. I did not lose my plugins, just my bookmarks & home page setting. My PC has rebooted before with FF in the background and foreground, but never experienced a lost of bookmarks before. There is still only one profile for my user, so no other profile was created. I certainly do not profess to know it all, but I am a technical user and am confident that my bookmarks were truly lost. If I had the time, I would have checked the file slack after the new bookmarks file to see if it overwrote the old file, or if the old one was deleted and then a new one created. The presence of old bookmarks that I lost in the file slack of the new file would strongly indicate that the new one overwrote the old one - if it first deleted the old one, and then later created a new one such as at bootup when the old one could not be found, chances are that other stuff would be in file slack -which I suspect strongly to be the case as the new one probably gets created when you go back into it. Unless the old one simply got corrupted and the new one simply overwrote the corrupted one when FF was restarted. Not sure if that was the case. Unfortunately you don't know until you open FF if you lost them or not. Otherwise I would check the file first to confirm it is there, and if I lost my bookmarks upon restarting FF then I could conclude that the old one was most likely corrupt. Much more could be done to really determine what is happening if the problem was consistently reproduceable. Unfortunately it appears to be sporatic. In the meantime I'm going to install the bookmark backup plug in from http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=13 . Seems that backs up quite a bit of stuff, with 6 days of redundancy before starting to overwrite on day 7. Despite this problem, FF is still a better browser than IE.
fionandean

Post by fionandean »

Yebaws, I found your post very refreshing after so much condescension in some of the other posts. Like you I have been using mozilla for over a year and had no probs before now. I do know how to search and am quite sure my bookmarks file has been overwritten not removed - and I only have one profile. I did eventually find some copies of my bookmark file by using the norton unerase wizard, recovering the bookmarks.html.moztmp files, removing the .moztmp from the end of the filename and replacing the incorrect files. As far as I am aware, firefox was not running when the computer restarted itself, I have no idea why it restarted and as nothing else was affected and I am damn sure my browser should NOT lose its marbles when my computer crashes, I would have to say I think this is a mozilla prob. Btw tho, I remember very clearly all the probs I used to have with IE and have never felt even slightly tempted to go back to it, not even when I was so mad about losing the the web page I found (with much trbl!) when I needed it urgently 1st thing this am. And lastly, remember guys, before u get all puffed up and pompous telling us what is and isn't the prob, it makes u look even more like a twit if/when u turn out to be wrong.
Fiona