Thoughts on Missing Bookmarks

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
moheganlake

Bookmarks in FF Gone; Have Tried everything suggested

Post by moheganlake »

OK, so let's get this out of the way: Yes, I should have backed them up - but who would think a great piece of software would suddenly decide to eat its young? And who would research a potential bug without having experienced it?

So I've already DL'ed the backup extension. Thanks to the authors.

For now, though:

* I searched for all instances of 'bookmarks' on my drive. Have it set to show hidden folders. What it brings back are not the bookmarks file I need. Backup version as well.

* Tried system restore - I cannot understand how it would not have given me a recent copy of the bookmarks I seek, but nothing - still the lousy, empty copy I have today. Even went back 1 day, 3 days, and 10 days.

* Went to profile manager - there's only one profile - mine, named 'default'.

* Checked TM; only one instance running.

* I have run virus scans and adware clients. Clean disk.

* I have not crashed, crashed FF, or otherwise screwed with my system (the only update I've allowed in the past two days was one for Sage).

I have read boards and researched, but no one can say why this happens, yet it has clearly happened to a bunch of people.

Any other help greatly appreciated.

EB

YrbkMgr wrote:I'm not going to be the most popular guy, but I seriously doubt that bookmarks are actually disappearing. I'm happy to be wrong, but before the conclusion is drawn that bookmarks are "gone", I've yet to see a user clearly enunciate the following:

We know that sometimes when you close Firefox, it isn't removed as a running process. In fact, we've seen reports of multiple instances of FF running in Task Manager. Based on everything I've seen to date, when you close FF and it is not ended as a process in Task Manager, re-starting FF (without a reboot) loads a new default profile. Now exactly what is preserved from the old profile and what isn't I can't say; but if this happens, your bookmarks are "lost" - FF essentially created a new profile with default bookmarks.

One of the first things to do, is to close FF, and make sure that there are no instances of FF running in Task Manager. Then, the user should start ProfileManager so that a dialog pops up asking which profile to use. If there's more than one (and they could all be called Default), then it is likely that the old bookmarks reside in one of those profiles.

Another procedure is to find the bookmarks.html files that exist on the hard drive. There are explicit instructions for where these would reside, but in consideration of the fact that some people may log on as a user (XP) and sometimes they may also log in as Admin, the easiest thing to do is to do a comprehensive search for the file across all folders.

Many people say that they've searched, and can't find them. But they never verify that they have set Explorer to view hidden files and folders, and that they have the search tool set to search in hidden files and folders. So when they say that they can't find them, I'm not convinced (yet) that they are searching properly.

But the point is, disappearing bookmarks is, in my opinion, a phenomenon of drawing conclusions without all the data.

I've had FF installed on countless user machines and have seen about every PBCAK error you can imagine (Problem Between Chair and Keyboard). I've heard my clients report that the bookmarks are missing, a boatload of times. In every instance I have personally been involved with, they haven't disappeared; the user simply couldn't find them.

As I said, I'm happy to be proven wrong. But I'd bet dollars to donuts that 99.9% of all reported missing bookmarks is the result of simply not knowing how to get your old ones back.
Dan_Francis

Re: Bookmarks in FF Gone; Have Tried everything suggested

Post by Dan_Francis »

moheganlake wrote:OK, so let's get this out of the way: Yes, I should have backed them up - but who would think a great piece of software would suddenly decide to eat its young?

The need to back-up data storage has existed forever and is totally unconnected with the software program you are using (old/new, free/expensive) period.
Pentium 4 3Ghz HT, 1Gb DDR400Mhz Ram WinXPSP2
Firefox/1.0.4, Thunderbird/1.0.2, Deer Park Alpha/ 1
AnotherGuest.

Post by AnotherGuest. »

yebaws,
If there is a problem, the way to get it fixed is to help trace what happened to the bookmarks files. Is there any way you can supply the requested information?

Post by Guest »

Folks -

I appreciate how often the problem rests between chair and keyboard, but I do know how to check for extra profiles - and I only have the default.

And it's just the bookmarks that got lost - my home page and other settings remained the same, indicating that the profile is intact, except for bookmarks.

What did change recently was that I allowed to be installed a Sage update. It seems to coincide with the bookmark disappearance.

I've tried everything suggested here.

Eliot
AnotherGuest.

Post by AnotherGuest. »

Guest,
You obviously appreciate that it's not always easy to tell whether the problem is BCAK. It helps if users supply sufficient details to reconstruct what might have happened.

Clues are needed if anyone is going to solve this problem. Do you mind reading the guidelines and posting <b>here?</b> Do you also mind following the procedure and supplying the additional information that I requested from yebaws? Thanks.
Last edited by AnotherGuest. on May 23rd, 2005, 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
yebaws

Post by yebaws »

AnotherGuest. wrote:yebaws,
Can you please supply the creation dates and file sizes of all copies of "bookmarks.html" and "bookmarks.bak" on your computer? (Right click on file, select "Properties".) Also the creation dates of all profile directories? You can use <b>this</b> procedure for finding them. Also, please consider posting documentation of your loss <b>here,</b> after reading the guidelines.

C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\defaults\profile\bookmarks.html - file AND directory created 24th NOV 2004 (original installation of Firefox? I'm not sure), modified 19th May 2005 (crash date). Giving the file size would be pointless because this file now contains the bookmarks imported from my backup file. It's not the same file size as the on that overwrote my original file when I had the crash.

When my XP home crashed, I had a BSOD with an error message that (as usual) meant nothing to me. There's no reason to assume that firefox caused the crash, but it was open at the time, so could not be shut down before restarting. Bookmarks were there before the crash and replaced with the default firefox bookmarks after restart. No problems with any profiles / installed extensions / customisations etc, just the bookmarks.
hellene

Post by hellene »

yebaws, that directory contains only the default profile downloaded with Firefox, which Firefox uses as a template to create profiles. The bookmarks.htlm file in there is always empty.

Your real profile (as an XP user) is in C:\yourusername\application data\mozilla\firefox\profiles\yourcurrentprofile (which as Firefox uses salting will be a string of random alphanumerics)
I don't know how to do any of this stuff, I just hire the guys that do
Have you considered reading the HELP folder. Right there on your menu bar.
Image by Juniper http onic.net/~daylight/ - Xmas special by Ol Grumpy
AnotherGuest.

Post by AnotherGuest. »

I also wanted the creation date of file "profiles.ini". Sorry, I forgot to ask for that. You may have several, but be sure to get the one in your Windows profile directory.

Hellene is correct. You were looking in the Firefox program directory. The profiles directory you are looking for is stored completely separately, in the system files with your user data. Hellene gave one location for it. Mine is in C:\WINNT\Profiles\(username)\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox. Sometimes it's in "Documents and Settings\(username)\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox". If you use <b>this</b> procedure that I gave you and start your search with "profiles.ini", that will at least get you into your user data instead of the Firefox program files.

If I search for "profiles.ini" and open the containing folder (according to the procedure), I find a subdirectory called "Profiles", then files pluginreg.dat and profiles.ini. In that Profiles subdirectory is folder default.4wa, and in that are my bookmarks files. So my bookmarks are in "C:\WINNT\Profiles\(username)\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\default.4wa\bookmarks.html". Your path is likely to be a little different, but it will not be in the Firefox program directory.

If you don't find it that way, there is one more way you can use that WILL show you every bookmarks file on the computer. You may have many more than you realize.
yebaws

Post by yebaws »

Sorry,

I didn't let the search finish this time so I didn't give the correct paths:

C:\Documents and Settings\(username)\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\default.wtl\bookmarks.html

created: 06 September 2004 (initial installation of Firefox?)
modified: today

The folder default.wtl was also created 06 September 2004

Again, the file size is irrelevant as this bookmarks.html contains the bookmarks that I imported from my backup.

I DID find this file when I originally lost the files and it contained the default firefox bookmarks
yebaws

Post by yebaws »

....and profiles.ini, C:\Documents and Settings\(username)\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\profiles.ini also created on 6th September 2004
rbug

Disappearing bookmarks

Post by rbug »

My bookmarks have now disappeared 3 times. I agree with Feb. 18, 2005 posting regarding the system crash or power failure causing this problem. FireFox has crashed on XP for me numerous times, sometimes generating the blue screen of death. These are probably the times my bookmarks have been destroyed.

Post by Guest »

Hot dang, I'm using Windows 2003, and for the second time Firefox has lost my bookmarks. My OS crashed and rebooted, and I guess Firefox didn't like that. Sadly, I won't be using firefox again because it just doesn't work. Firefox NEEDS to be able to handle crashes and reboots unexpectidly.

Anyway, back to IE.... ;(

Post by Guest »

Hot dang, I'm using Windows 2003, and for the second time Firefox has lost my bookmarks. My OS crashed and rebooted, and I guess Firefox didn't like that. Sadly, I won't be using firefox again because it just doesn't work. Firefox NEEDS to be able to handle crashes and reboots unexpectidly.

Anyway, back to IE.... ;(
hellene

Post by hellene »

Yeah, you said that already. You considered using the bookmarks backup extension to back up your valuable data?
I don't know how to do any of this stuff, I just hire the guys that do
Have you considered reading the HELP folder. Right there on your menu bar.
Image by Juniper http onic.net/~daylight/ - Xmas special by Ol Grumpy
Crashier

Post by Crashier »

I get XPCOM(or used to a heck of alot) errors in ff serveral times daily!!!

with 1.0.4 I still get these problems...but not as often thankfully,also only once or twice since EVER first using firefox (back just shortly before 1.0.1 came out I believe) it did pull a "x-file" on me...that is to say it either restarted/when I restarted it in the original theme(or skin?) with no bookmarks,everything default...of course A) I'm on Windows 9x(ME) B) even when my bookmarks disappeared and ff reset itself into what I thought was safe mode...my bookmarks were not lost or deleted C) as I said this only happened once or twice EVER since first started using ff(which I use 98% of the time...and only use ie or anything else the other 2%)

since the 2nd time it happened I do a monthly change(or update) of my profile...backup the files into a RAR,open profile manager,erase the old default one,make a new one,and it seems to work,plus I simply add bookmarks/extensions/etc. to the newly created XXXXXX.default.profile firefox profile folder :D (XXXXXX=random #'s or letters)

I still get errors and crash(probably since I'm on 9x/ME)
but doing this once a month helps just in case anything happens,plus it's always good to have a spare copy of bookmarks (like say keeping a ff-bookmarks.html in your favorites folder?)

now as far as getting your old bookmarks back somehow and taking what I said above...you could look for and "Try" a file recovery program,have it scan your drive for a hour or two(if it takes even that long) and try to locate the profile folder and/or lost bookmarks html file

off the top of my head UnDelete and FinalData are good ones,I still have FinalData 1.0 seeing as the 2.0 trial wouldn't even scan or even work for me...again probably a OS thing

anyway give a "file recovery program" search a try as well as trying out a archiver like WinRAR and archiving