After QuickTime 6.5.2 install, Firefox still cannot locate i

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
richards1052

After QuickTime 6.5.2 install, Firefox still cannot locate i

Post by richards1052 »

I went to this site-- http://www.mikis-theodorakis.net/ --& clicked on the music link at the bottom of the screen. A pop up msg. told me I'd have to install QuickTime to run the file. I did this. I closed out of the browser & then logged back in. When I clicked on the music file again, I got the same msg. saying I'd have to download QT. Why isn't FF locating my QT install?

After looking at the source code it appears that the file that won't play is a simple mp3 file: http://www.mikis-theodorakis.net/Tis-agapis.mp3 . I don't have QT set to play mp3 files. So why is this happening? Is the mistake something caused by the website or FF or my computer?
firemonkey

Post by firemonkey »

If you want quicktime to play the mp3 file, you will need to verify that quicktime is set to play them. Check the quick time settings applet (on Windows it is in Control Panel, don't know about other platforms) and make sure that mp3 is set under Browser Plug-in -> MIME settings and File Type Associations -> File Types.
Vectorspace

Post by Vectorspace »

If you go into the "Complete Embedded Media Player Plugin guide" at the top of this froum, there is a guide to configuring Quicktime in there.
"All things being equal, the simplest answer is usually the correct one" - Occam's Razor
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:5.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/5.0
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:5.0) Gecko/20110624 Thunderbird/5.0
richards1052

Post by richards1052 »

firemonkey wrote:If you want quicktime to play the mp3 file, you will need to verify that quicktime is set to play them. Check the quick time settings applet (on Windows it is in Control Panel, don't know about other platforms) and make sure that mp3 is set under Browser Plug-in -> MIME settings and File Type Associations -> File Types.
I don't want QT to play my mp3 files. I've already set WMP to play mp3s. And QT is NOT set to play them. So why is FF trying to make me install QT to play an mp3 file??
Vectorspace

Post by Vectorspace »

richards1052 wrote:I've already set WMP to play mp3s.

No, I don't think you have. You might have gone into WMP options and associated mps files with it, but this is for Windows file associations - not the browser plugin.

The Windows Media Player browser plugin that Firefox uses is hard-coded to only play .asf, .asx, .wm, .wma, .wax, .wmv, and .wvx files, and no provision is provided to change that. If the web page embeds the file properly, it can play other file types but most websites don't do that.

There are three ways to play mp3's embedded in webapges with Firefox:
1. Embed the file using the application/x-mplayer2 MIME type. You can't do this unless you control that web page.
2. Hack the WMP plugin and change the file types it will play. I don't think this is legal so odds are no-one here will tell you how to do that.
3. Associate mp3's with the Quicktime browser plugin. Browser plugin associations are different from Windows file associations, so mp3's in Windows will still play in WMP.

3 is the only solution I can offer you. In Quicktime settings, there are two file type optopns: File Type Associations and Browser Plugin. The former controls which files will play in the Quicktime player in Windows. The latter will control which file types the QT browser plugin will try to play in web pages.
If you associate mp3's with WMP and with the QT browser plugin, then an mp3 file in Windows will open with WMP, but an mp3 file embedded in a web page will play using the Quicktime browser plugin.

For instructions on how to associate mp3's with the Quicktime browser plugin, go into the "Complete Embedded Media Player Plugin guide" at the top of this froum - there is a guide to configuring Quicktime in there.
"All things being equal, the simplest answer is usually the correct one" - Occam's Razor
richards1052

Post by richards1052 »

vectorspace: thanks for that abundantly clear post which helped me understand the problem I was facing.

I reset QT in browser plug in mode to play mp3 files & the next time I visited that site that hadn't played the mp3 file previously...it played this time!

I mistakenly assumed that if you set wmp to play mp3s that it would also play the files in the browser. Thanks for setting me straight on that.
Vectorspace

Post by Vectorspace »

It's a confusing system, expecially since the WMP and Real Player plugins can't be changed.
FuguRitual

Post by FuguRitual »

Vectorspace wrote:The Windows Media Player browser plugin that Firefox uses is hard-coded to only play .asf, .asx, .wm, .wma, .wax, .wmv, and .wvx files, and no provision is provided to change that. If the web page embeds the file properly, it can play other file types but most websites don't do that.

Thanks Vectorspace. Unlike "richards1052" I realized that simply setting the options in WMP wasn't the solution but I did not know the information that I quoted. Your post saved me a bunch of time.
krmathis

Post by krmathis »

Working fine for me, using todays Trunk build and QuickTime 6.5.2. :)
Vectorspace

Post by Vectorspace »

Always nice to hear our work is appreciated... :)
Brothernod

Post by Brothernod »

I still find it disapointing there does not seem to be a way to create new associations. I very much dislike quicktime and would prefer to use windows media player for avi files, but since there is no type it forces me to use quicktime more than I would like.

Why aren't we given better file type association controls?

Post by Guest »

So after a person uninstalles quicktime, how do you get Firefox to not try and use it to open files? Firefox crashes when it tries to open a file because QT isn't on my machine and there seems to be no way to set firefox back to DL the file instead of opening it.
Hasi

Post by Hasi »

Thanks for your good support.
I was refused to believe that firefox could be so ignorant.
I still love Firefox!!!!
Amirt

FIrefox doesn't find quicktime installed

Post by Amirt »

Hi,

I have a problem with Quicktime that I can't figure out...

I wanna see a clip that need quicktime, so Firefox told me that I need a plug-in. I went to the site and download it manually (coz there wasn't other option), installed it... and work properly by it self, but, when I go to the clip on the web, Firefox keeps asking me for the plug-in that I arealdy installed...

I don't know how to tell Firefox that I got the program already?, never happened to me with others plug-in...

Any help will be nice,

Thanks!!

Amirt

Post by Guest »

Hey _Jim_,
Your advice about deleting quicktime plugins is brilliant. It worked. I've been trying to sort out the prob "guest" had for the past 24 hours and just found your advice, thanks to Google.
Rich, NZ