Bookmarks Toolbar

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
orcue

Bookmarks Toolbar

Post by orcue »

My Bookmarks Toolbar has disappeared - it is checked on in the view. Any ideas?

Post by Guest »

I have lost everything too. What gives? I got a pop up that asked for my default user data and when I tried to click on it, I lost everything.

Post by Guest »

Both of you need to read the FASQ at the top of this very firum.....scroll down to "Bookmarks", it's all in there.
rtmjr50

Guide: Lost My Bookmarks ... now what??

Post by rtmjr50 »

their are two solutions when bookmarks are lost ...

SOLUTION #1 - Ask to create a new profile and you did ... OR ... you can not use your default profile when the profilemanager box pops up when you started firefox.
    READ: You saw the Profile dialog box by the-edmeister

from the comments by the-edmeister .....
    #1 Rule to remember about Firefox:
    If you see that Select a Profile- dialog box when launching Firefox;
    you do have an instance of firefox.exe running within Windows!
    Cancel the dialog box to close it
    and open the Task Manager to kill firefox.exe.
    Only then should you proceed to start Firefox!

FYI: Profile in use - What does this mean??
    FYI:
    Where is my profile folder?

NOTE: (check window task manager [Ctrl-Alt-Del] to make sure that ALL copies of firefox.exe are closed before running profilemanager - IF YOU DON"T, profilemanager will not work!!)
    FYI: [url=http://kb.mozillazine.org/Kill_application]How to Kill an Application
    [/url] <o>
    How do I access the Profile Manager?

INSTALL the Bookmark Backup extension which does a automatic daily backup ... see The Real Solution at the bottom of this post for more info.
SOLUTION #2 - never saw the profilemanager box .... BUT .... My Bookmarks are GONE ... Now What Do I Due!!!
    Are you using a Window File Cleaner Program??.... ==>READ<== ... From this post:"I figured out what it was. I was using a computer clean up program. It thought some of Firefox's profile files were 'Unecessary'."

Firefox stores all your bookmarks in your profile in one file: bookmarks.html. So, the problem is to find it and restore it back into your profile.

STEP "1A" - Using Firefox 1.5 .... Each time you close firefox correctly a 5 day automatic backup of your bookmarks.html file is created and stored in your profile in your \bookmarkbackup folder.

READ: Firefox 1.5 Automatic Backup
    FYI: Lost Bookmarks

STEP "1B" - Using Firefox 1.0.x - See if you still have the original bookmarks.html or bookmarks.bak on your computer.

FYI:
    Where is my profile folder?

• Window "Search" - Do a search for bookmarks.html and/or bookmarks.bak
    Start -> Search -> "for files or folders" -> click on "All Files and folders"
    (a) "All or part of the file name" type: bookmarks*
    (b) click on "More Advance Options"
    (c) place check in box to left of:
    ................"Search System Folders";
    ................"Search Hidden Files and Folders";
    ................ and "Search Subfolders".
    (d) click on "Search" icon
    FYI - window search default is not to have a check in "hidden files and folders" and so you will not find any of the profile folder files listed ... that is why many folks don't ever find bookmarks.html listed when they do a search
  • Windows "%Appdata%" shortcut... (winXP/2K ONLY)
    Start -> Run -> type: %appdata% -> Ok
    This should show you the Application Data folder. One of the folders that will be listed is Mozilla. Now look through the various subfolders and see if you can find bookmarks.html and/or bookmarks.bak - there should be at least one of each in each profile.
  • Windows "Explore" - Look for bookmarks.html and/or bookmarks.bak
    Start -> right mouse button -> click "Explore"

(winXP/2K) -- Firefox profile folders/files are located in "hidden" folders ... using window explorer will not display/find these files until you have change the default in the folder options menu: start -> settings -> control panel -> Folder Options -> view -> hidden files and folders -> check in box next to "show hidden files and folders" -> ok

STEP "2A" - When you find it ... and it's the correct size ....
    READ: Restoring your browsing data into a new Profile by the-edmeister
    FYI: Comments by AnotherGuest. .... from this post: 4. Once you have found the file, open the Bookmarks Manager and import the file (File/Import...). This will add the retrieved bookmarks to the one you already have. This is safe, but you may find that you have duplicate bookmarks. .... 5. Alternatively, you can copy the bookmarks directly into your profile directory. Close Fx. Then open the profile directory, rename 'bookmarks.html' 'bookmarks.html.sav', and now copy your backup file into the profile directory and rename it 'bookmarks.html'. This may be a little more dangerous, depending on your skill. Remember, never copy one bookmarks file over another unless you are certain you know what you are doing.

STEP "2B" - - When you find it ... and it's NOT the correct size ....
    Your original bookmarks.html was corrupted (OS crash, firefox lockup and did not close correctly, somehow it was deleted, etc) ... and firefox automaticly created a new bookmark,html for you.
  • (a) Use a file undelete utility to restore the deleted bookmarks.html
    File Recovery 4 (freeware) and
    PC INSPECTOR™ File Recovery 4.x (freeware) Supports: FAT 12/16/32 and NTFS file systems. For: Windows 95/98/Me/NT/2000/XP File Size: 6.1MB
    Restoration v2.5.14 (freeware) For: Windows 95/98/Me/NT/2000/XP File Size: 193KB
    Directory Snoop v 5 - Free 25 run trial version For: Windows 95/98/Me/NT/2000/XP Support: FAT 12/16/32 and NTFS file systems File Size: 1.5MB
    FreeUndelete (freeware) Supports: NTFS file systems only. For: NT/2000/XP File Size: 1.0 MB
  • (b) You could try running window's chkdsk (scandisk for win9x) and see if it creates any recovery files from which you can rebuilt your old bookmark file again ...
    (1) Start -> Run -> type: cmd -> Ok
    (2) At the prompt type: chkdsk /f
    (3) press the enter key
    FYI: Comments by AnotherGuest. .... from this post: A damaged bookmarks file could be recoverable by Scandisk or Chkdsk, or the non-Windows equivalent. First, check any existing Scandisk or Chkdisk logs for bookmarks. Look for file names like 'file0001.chk', 'file0002.chk', etc. In Windows, search for 'file*.chk'. Or possibly file*.001, file*.002, etc. If you don't find it, you can then run Scandisk or Chkdsk and see if it finds any lost cluster. You can view these files with Fx. See #3 above.
    For more information, there is a short writeup
    ==> here. <==
  • (c) Windows does not really remove a deleted file ... Use Windows Recycle Bin
    Windows Recycle Bin -> right click on your mouse -> open
  • (d) Use winXP restore point wizard and turn back your computer ... using this means that all that was done on your computer since the last restore point was created will be lost!!

All of these are long shots at best ... Take a look at these Losing bookmarks or Lost Bookmarks, for the Third Time or Thoughts on Missing Bookmarks for other folks comments...

FYI: Firefox keeps resetting all of it's settings...?!?! - ANSWER: cleanup program is deleting your bookmarks
    FYI: "All Bookmarks are gone" - Bring them back! by Filipp0s
    FYI: Comments by AnotherGuest.
    FYI: Lost Bookmarks

The Real Solution:

Bookmark Backup 0.4 (1.5 +) extension does a automatic daily backup of all 13 user files when you exit firefox correctly .... this gives you seven different copies of each user file before overwriting one ..... it won't help with a bad profile ... but you will never loose your bookmarks ... To add other files (default is only bookmarks.html) to the backup .... highlight the extension in the extension manager (tools -> extensions) and press the option .... you can store the backup any place you like.
Whats new in Bookmark Backup 0.4
# Partially rewritten to make the extension more reliable, additionally it now performs backups both at shutdown and every 2 hours. The backup interval can be tweaked by setting the bookmarkbackup.interval pref to a value in minutes, you can also enable/disable startup/shutdown backups with the bookmarkbackup.startupBackup and bookmarkbackup.shutdownBackup prefs.
# Added a logging mode to help track down backup problems. To enable it set the pref bookmarkbackup.loggingEnabled to true, this will create a file named bookmarkbackup.log in your profile folder.

Download Bookmark Backup 0.33 for Firefox 1.0.x

Author's homepage for this extension.

Firefox 1.5 automatic backups of your bookmarks - Firefox stores all your bookmarks in your profile in one file: bookmarks.html. One of the new features in Firefox 1.5 is a 5 day automatic backup of your bookmarks.html file. Each backup copy is stored in the \bookmarkbackups folder in your profile.

FYI - for other extensions and utilities to backup/copy/tranfer your profile and user files

later, Richard
Last edited by rtmjr50 on February 7th, 2006, 4:17 pm, edited 54 times in total.
Rule #1: My computer is always right, the human is always the problem .. RULE #2: See Rule #1
using Win XP/SP2 (home) FF1.5.0.9 FF2.0.0.1 FF3a1 Tbird1.5.0.9 ==> Press for More Answers <==
No colours in sig please.
aconbere

Post by aconbere »

%App Data%\ is a nice shortcut to get to the user data without changing settings in the folder options and still being able to view firefox profiles.

Anders

Post by Guest »

I think that a serious problem that needs to be addressed soon in future version.

I installed Firefow a few days and loved it; I updated all my bookmarks but my computer crashed and now all is lost. Quite upset about it :( ...
rtmjr50

Post by rtmjr50 »

Anonymous wrote:I think that a serious problem that needs to be addressed soon in future version.

I installed Firefow a few days and loved it; I updated all my bookmarks but my computer crashed and now all is lost. Quite upset about it :( ...

I've been using firefox for almost a year, have never had a problem yet .... so mileage will vary

and I agree that this is a problem that is being look at ...

for now ... back up your user files

INSTALL the bookmark backup extension which does a automatic daily backup of all 13 user files when you exit firefox correctly .... this gives you seven different copies of each user file before overwriting one ..... it won't help with a bad profile ... but you will never loose your bookmarks ... To add other files (default is only bookmarks.html) to the backup .... highlight the extension in the extension manager (tools -> extensions) and press the option icon. see: http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=13

later, Richard
Rule #1: My computer is always right, the human is always the problem .. RULE #2: See Rule #1
using Win XP/SP2 (home) FF1.5.0.9 FF2.0.0.1 FF3a1 Tbird1.5.0.9 ==> Press for More Answers <==
Franadora

Post by Franadora »

Every once in awhile, my Bookmarks Toolbar does kinda disappear. My Bookmarks are still there, accessible from the menu Bookmarks. HOWEVER, the toolbar isn't apparent. Usually, when this occurs, there is a >> on the left hand side of my screen and clicking on it will show my toolbar icons. If I have another window open, the toolbar is right where it belongs. Also next time I open Firefox it shows just normal.

I'm not sure what causes this. ]

Not a lost bookmarks issue. The toolbar just goes missing for awhile.

Firefox 1.0 on WinXP.
Wenn es nicht spassig ist, ist es nicht richtig gemacht.
--Windows10, 7 Starter, Home Premium; Android Jelly Beans 4.1.1; WindowsXP (disappearing)

Post by Guest »

Franadora wrote:Every once in awhile, my Bookmarks Toolbar does kinda disappear. My Bookmarks are still there, accessible from the menu Bookmarks. HOWEVER, the toolbar isn't apparent. Usually, when this occurs, there is a >> on the left hand side of my screen and clicking on it will show my toolbar icons. If I have another window open, the toolbar is right where it belongs. Also next time I open Firefox it shows just normal.

Firefox 1.0 on WinXP.
I am having the same issue as "Franadora", any suggestions??
Guest10696

Post by Guest10696 »

I had a similar problem, been using firefox for a few months now. I transffered all my favorites from IE to firefox. Favorites that I've had for years. I turn off my computer, the next day I turn it on, open firefox, first my home page is changed to the firefox homepage, and my bookmarks were all deleted. I no longer us IE so I didn't have my favorites backed up on there. I'm pretty upset, my bookmarks that I've had for years are no more.

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:
Franadora wrote:Every once in awhile, my Bookmarks Toolbar does kinda disappear. My Bookmarks are still there, accessible from the menu Bookmarks. HOWEVER, the toolbar isn't apparent. Usually, when this occurs, there is a >> on the left hand side of my screen and clicking on it will show my toolbar icons. If I have another window open, the toolbar is right where it belongs. Also next time I open Firefox it shows just normal.

Firefox 1.0 on WinXP.
I am having the same issue as "Franadora", any suggestions??

Right-click in the toolbar area, select "Customize..." drag a space to the left of the bookmarks toolbar
revs

Post by revs »

I also have the same problem as franadora, and a space on the left has not solved the issue.

Opening a new tab temporarily solves the problem.

Any other suggestions out there??
rtmjr50

Post by rtmjr50 »

revs wrote:I also have the same problem as franadora, and a space on the left has not solved the issue.

Opening a new tab temporarily solves the problem.

Any other suggestions out there??

what theme are you using ?... it sounds like a conflict betwen a 3rd party theme and bookmark toolbar

later, Richard
rtmjr50

Post by rtmjr50 »

Guest10696 wrote:I had a similar problem, been using firefox for a few months now. I transffered all my favorites from IE to firefox. Favorites that I've had for years. I turn off my computer, the next day I turn it on, open firefox, first my home page is changed to the firefox homepage, and my bookmarks were all deleted. I no longer us IE so I didn't have my favorites backed up on there. I'm pretty upset, my bookmarks that I've had for years are no more.

no firefox created a new profile -- you need to use the profilemanager to get back to your default profile
READ: http://the-edmeister.home.comcast.net/t ... g_box.html

later, Richard

Post by Guest »

Yeah Crap!!! I got it all set up nicely, ran for a few weeks ... lots of new bookmarks and wham a crash loses the lot bookmark.html and .bak 423 bytes .. only one profile (default) GREAT!

bye bye Firefox!