Bookmarks Toolbar

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
AnotherGuest.

Post by AnotherGuest. »

Most Recent Guest,
You may not find the file if you search for those files. Read the post just before yours, then look around near the top of this thread for my link and others on how to search for bookmarks.

Please note that this thread isn't really for getting individualized help or for expressing displeasure. It's for reporting events. If you need more help, I suggest you post in the Support Forum. I'm sure someone will be happy to help.
Another Another Guest

Post by Another Another Guest »

my user changed, a window popped up and i couldnt choose by default user profile and i had to create a new one. How do i return back to my old user profile.

Post by Guest »

Help Please
- I have never visited these forums before and might not be in the proper place. Sorry it I have mis-directed my bitching.
I have been using Firefox for about 6 months with none of the problems that i had experienced from IE. I had this same crap happen to me a couple nights ago. It was late night and this thing I had never seen before asking about which profile I wanted as others have been describing in these forums.

You Guessed It. All my bookmarks are gone too.
I spent hours over the past few days 7 nights trying to rebuild them and then today as I created a new folder in the bookmarks My computer froze up when i dragged a bookmark into the folder.

Now this is a bunch of Bullshit which I cannot follow. Looking through these forums has only confused me to the point that I am ready to abandon FireFox all together. I am in the process of downloading Netscape hoping I will have better luck with that.

I really liked the features of FireFox and would prefer to continue using it.
I NEED A SIMPLE WAY TO FIX THIS PROBLEM AND RECOVER MY BOOKMARKS.
If you can help me please e-mail me at: kayakaya1@yahoo.com
I'd really appreciate some help that I can understand.
Thanks LPC
Ventrex

Post by Ventrex »

I'm not entirely sure which bookmark-loss related thread to post this in, but since this had the most recent reply, I'll give it a shot here.

I've used Firefox, in its different incarnations, almost since day one, and have never had this issue. In fact, I didn't even know it existed until I had it occur last night. I have spent the past two days trying every available method of recovery, with not even a hint of success of any. I've searched my C drive for anything with "bookmark" in the file name, found mostly several copies of the same corrupted and overwritten-to-default bookmarks.html/bak file that's been plaguing me, and one copy of a bookmarks.html file two months old (it's got quite a bit missing, but hey, it's better than the zilch I'd gotten). I've searched for titles of webpages and urls I'd bookmarked in the content of files, and got nothing useful using this either. I've tried DOZENS of file recovery/undelete programs (the free, non-iconed space on my desktop has dropped by about 60%), and still can't find the elusive bookmarks.html file as it existed only 48 hours ago. All I get are the same copies of the overwritten bookmarks file with nothing but defaults. I've run chkdsk to find any lost file fragments, and nothing useful came up (though a file called "softokn3.chk" popped up in the Firefox directory; what could this be?). Let's see... If I'm leaving any method of recovery out it's probably because I've tried so many in the past two days. Are there any more methods other than those listed here on the Mozilla forums? I've found a few more on various places around the internet, but so far I've tried everything here and there except the system restore (but we'll get to that in a bit).

Now before anyone directs me to a backup program (which isn't to say I won't be using one from this day forward), here's what bugs me about this whole thing. I back up everything. I have a very bordering-on-paranoid "JUST IN CASE" mentality when it comes to data. So it goes without saying that I backed up my bookmark file. In fact, I'd backed it up not three days before it fried. But the backup is fried too. Both are the exact same 16KB default bookmarks only file now. They were both in the Firefox directory in my Program Files directory, but in seperate folders so...how did that happen? If it helps, I back up my bookmarks manually, using the export feature of bookmarks manager. Ah, well. No matter. Both are now fried, and all deleted copies of bookmarks.html on my hard drive picked up by any undelete program that actually works are the same 16KB file of zilch. On that same note, does anyone know of a freeware program similar to EasyUndelete (Alex Fishman Soft.), the only program I'd had any hint of success with. I found a nameless "FILE000055430909randomnumericals.html" that was about the right size and all, but (damn you, Alex Fishman!) one needs a registered copy of the program to recover a file that size.

So what I'm trying to ask is--are they still on there, somewhere, or is it time to just give in, back up what needs backing up, and run a system restore. As soon as I'm finished replying I'm about to begin backing up what I need to, but first I have a few questions about the system restore feature. I'm a bit nervous about this. I've never had to use it before but, having had to reformat more hard drives than I care to count, I've always felt it to be a neat idea. Let me just make sure my understanding of it is correct. When I run it to any of the points available on the calendar, it will restore everything on my hard drive to the same exact state it was at that day/time, correct? So, regardless of file loss (which can easily be handled with some backing up; and of course the bookmarks I'd made since that point), there is a 100% guarantee I'll get all the bookmarks I had at that point back? I've probably drilled it in by now, but even if that's a 50% guarantee it'd still be worth some file loss to me. All this knocking out has set me back quite a ways in several ways, but I haven't entirely given up hope that my REAL bookmarks.html file is still somewhere on my hard drive.

Here's my end of the "experienced bookmark loss/profile corruption" questionaire.
I'm not very technically adept so.. be gentle. :oops:

Which problem did you experience... profile corruption/loss or only bookmark loss?

Only bookmark loss. All plugins, extensions, and themes in my profile are fine, except my profile is no longer under my name, but rather some random funny letters/numbers dash "default." (Is this the average default profile name? But that doesn't make sense; I've only lost bookmarks, and all else in my profile is well. Argh.)

Did this happen after a Firefox crash?

Sort of. I had to hard reboot my computer, with Firefox still open, to kill a couple of birds with one stone here.

Did your computer crash, or did this occur after a normal shut down?

See above.

Was Firefox open when your computer crashed or was shut down?

See above.

What operating system do you use (and which version)?

Windows XP (unsure which version?)

What is the filesystem of your hard drive(s)?

NTFS

What version of Firefox/Firebird were you using when your bookmarks were lost or your profile was corrupted?

If you upgraded Firefox versions, did you create a new profile or upgrade using the old one? (if you don't know, chances are you upgraded, but please say that you are unsure)

Whenever I upgrade, I use the old profile. Admittedly I don't upgrade much.

If you upgraded an old profile, what version of Firefox/Firebird did you originally use?

Jesus, uh... No idea, it's been too long, but. ....I actually remember Firebird. (Hope that helps.)

Did you lose other files or settings in other applications (including non-Mozilla)?

Not that I'm fully aware of, but I haven't explored much yet.

Do you use or have you installed any bookmark-related extensions?

Nope. But other extensions I currently use include slogger, the tabbrowser extension, and a couple of themes. I once used a bookmark organizing extension (not sure what the name was), but that was many moons and one PC ago, so it is of course irrelevant. Just trying to throw any and all information I can at you folks......... I'm desperate. :mrgreen:
Ventrex

Post by Ventrex »

Oh, one more thing. Where exactly does Firefox store its browser history? I've dug around a bit, but haven't located anything useful. Since mine is set to be ridiculously long, I had a little brainstorm earlier as to how to recover the bookmarks I'd made since the last restore point, if you follow. :mrgreen:
BStephen

Firefox bookmarks gone.

Post by BStephen »

Same thing just happened to me - the machine crashed and all is gone. NOT GOOD.

I am lucky in that this is on my laptop and I have a full version on my desktopl, so I won't have lost anything.

But still ... this is a reliability issue - NOT good.
Ozexpatriate

Post by Ozexpatriate »

The next time the bookmarks toolbar icons disappear, right-click on the empty bookmarks toolbar and select "Customize."
You should now see a search pane in the empty bookmarks toolbar that shouldn't be there. Drag it to the "Customize" box with all the various toolbar icons in it.
The bookmarks toolbar icons (links) should reappear in your bookmarks toolbar and remain there.
It worked for me.
Good luck
Ozexpatriate

Disappearing bookmarks toolbar icons

Post by Ozexpatriate »

The next time the bookmarks toolbar icons disappear, right-click on the empty bookmarks toolbar and select "Customize."
You should now see a search pane in the empty bookmarks toolbar that shouldn't be there. Drag it to the "Customize" box with all the various toolbar icons in it.
The bookmarks toolbar icons (links) should reappear in your bookmarks toolbar and remain there.
It worked for me.
Good luck

Post by Guest »

That's why I use something external like del.icio.us for bookmarks. If my whole system dies, I lose all my bookmarks. I'd rather avoid the issue of desktop backups for that and just store my data elsewhere, where it is regularly backed up.

Post by Guest »

I have this problem too. The bookmark trick worked, but it's also affecting the web developer toolbar and the same trick does not work for that one. What the hell is causing this anyway?

FF is nothing more than kids stuff

Post by Guest »

I too have fallen victim to the "bookmark" glitch. 2 years worth of bookmarks gone. It's incredible that this is the first I've heard fo this "glitch". How do you expect Fire Fox (FF) to be taken seriously? If I'd known of this before downloading FF I would have never used your product in the first place. My time is too valuable to waste as a beta tester for a group of want-to-be programmers. This is an incredible show of incompitance and negligence on behalf of the whole FF develpment team. How so many people have been lured into believing this is a production quality piece of software is beyond me. No virus could do the damage your lack of professionalism and ignorance has succeded in doing. No matter how great the risk I've never suffered this much loss with IE. I'll leave the romper-room software, such as FF, to those with nothing better to do with their time.
colllar

Post by colllar »

Hi,

You can use Active@ undelete tool to restore lost files. This is IMHO the most powerful data recovery tool so it's definately will be able to help.
http://www.active-undelete.com/
If you wish to restore under pure DOS Uneraser can help.
http://www.uneraser.com/
DanielTheManual

Post by DanielTheManual »

When your computer crashes and scandisk runs at next reboot, if it finds any errors it creates a folder called FOUND.001 on the root of your system drive. In here are *.CHK files. One of these is probably your bookmarks.html file, you just need to figure out which one, rename it and copy it back to the correct location.

If you can't see the FOUND.001 folder you need to 'Show Hidden Files and Folders' (Tools > Folder Options from within My Computer).