Firefox 5 killed my Google Toolbar

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
ralph124c41

Re: Firefox 5 killed my Google Toolbar

Post by ralph124c41 »

No joy with the "incompatible" button solution. This simply shows that ALL my extensions are incompatible....
No one to blame but me, I guess. I jumped the gun and removed Google Toolbar without checking for forced compatibility; now, of course, I can't get it loaded back up again. I guess I'll just keep an eye on "alerts".

I am not thrilled about the prospect of rolling back to FF4; this can present a whole new set of possible issues.

It's claimed that that FF5 has 95% compatibility; sadly, the lost 5% includes a toolbar with a lot of useful tools, for which I can find no convenient add-ons.
b003

Post by b003 »

b003 wrote:

Worked for me thanks much! :D

Bump
odei

Post by odei »

The addon compatibility reporter did the trick. Thanks guys.
Vitesse

Post by Vitesse »

ralph124c41 wrote:
It's claimed that that FF5 has 95% compatibility; sadly, the lost 5% includes a toolbar with a lot of useful tools, for which I can find no convenient add-ons.

The claim about 95% compatibility refers to addons hosted on https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/extensions/ not to third-party extensions, over which Firefox has no more control than any other browser supplier. As demonstrated in this thread and others it is perfectly possible to get the Google toolbar - and the vast majority of extensions which work in Firefox 4 (hosted and third-party) - to work in Firefox 5.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

b003 wrote:Bump

What are you bumping? A solution for the issue has been posted here and several folks have reported success after using it.
practical non geek

Post by practical non geek »

lazy lazy lazy---a simple shortcut on desktop gets you to google and has the added advantage of keeping your Firefox page alive
b003

Post by b003 »

DanRaisch wrote:
b003 wrote:Bump

What are you bumping? A solution for the issue has been posted here and several folks have reported success after using it.

Sorry, should have been "I got my bar back and all's right with the world".
cozmot

Post by cozmot »

Penny Holt wrote:I just updated to Firefox 5 as per instructions. I got a dialogue box telling me that my Google Toolbar for Firefox 7.1.20101113Wb1 was not compatible, but Firefox would update it when I restarted. I hit Okay, then restarted Firefox. No such luck. Another dialogue box saying it was still incompatible appeared, but my toolbar, on which I had many customizations was gone. How do I get it back as I had it, please? :(
Who instructed you to do this?
BSmith2277

Post by BSmith2277 »

I uninstalled and then reinstalled Google Toolbar via the instructions here about the addon compatibility reporter.
Google Toolbar is working except the New Tab page is blank instead of the thumbnails of the links to my most recent and often favorite sites.
gifty1

Post by gifty1 »

Vitesse wrote:In about:addons, click on the "more" link and check that it is set to update automatically. Firefox will then check and download it as soon as it's available.

In the interim, you could download the Add-On Compatibility extension. This will enable you to activate the toolbar in Firefox 5. However, there is no guarantee that it will work correctly (or maybe even at all): the extension is really for use with beta versions of Firefox but can be used with final versions.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... r/?src=api

Thanks to the 10th power for this solution. Quick, easy and well appreciated!
ronm99

Post by ronm99 »

Pyr0TeK wrote:I even downloaded the google-toolbar-beta-win-h_asknot-d_set.xpi file, unzipped it, changed the install.rdf file from

Code: Select all

<em:targetApplication>
      <Description>
        <em:id>{ec8030f7-c20a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384}</em:id>
        <em:minVersion>2.0</em:minVersion>
        <em:maxVersion>4.0.*</em:maxVersion>
      </Description>
    </em:targetApplication>

to

Code: Select all

<em:targetApplication>
      <Description>
        <em:id>{ec8030f7-c20a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384}</em:id>
        <em:minVersion>2.0</em:minVersion>
        <em:maxVersion>5.0.*</em:maxVersion>
      </Description>
    </em:targetApplication>

Re-zipped it, renamed it back to .xpi and Firefox 5 tells me it appears to be corrupted when I try to install it manually. [-X :evil:

There is a manifest in META-INF with checksums of the files. If you modify install.rdf, the checksum changes, hence the corruption.

The easiest workaround seems to be to just delete the META-INF directory before zipping.

Worked for me (FF5.0, Ubuntu 11.04)

-ron

Post by Guest »

BSmith2277 wrote:I uninstalled and then reinstalled Google Toolbar via the instructions here about the addon compatibility reporter.
Google Toolbar is working except the New Tab page is blank instead of the thumbnails of the links to my most recent and often favorite sites.

I got the Google Tool Bar to work from suggestions on here by using the Add On Compatibility Reporter, with the exception of the New Tab is now blank for me also with all my links most used. I do miss that, but at least I have the Tool Bar for now. Guess I'll have to wait for Google to update :(
Guest Guest

Post by Guest Guest »

Did you follow the method described by BSmith2277 and uninstall the Google Toolbar first?
Apart from the fact that this is not the right way to have done it (there is no need to do *anything* with the Google Toolbar when using the Add on Compatibility Reporter - you just install ACR, close Fx, relaunch Firefox, close and relaunch it a second time and that is it!) uninstalling the Google Toolbar first may well have deleted all your existing personal data.
Fishpond

Post by Fishpond »

Simple answer, re install an older version of Firefox and bingo your toolbar is automatically installed

I intend to wait for Firefox or Google to catch up, however I am very happy with my older version, for an average home user why fix a problem if it ain't bust!!
Guest Guest

Post by Guest Guest »

1. Actually, it has already been posted here by literally dozens of users who have done it, that the latest Google Toolbar *does* work perfectly in F5 when the ACR extension is used.
2. It isn't Firefox that needs to catch up. The core program is not made to work with extensions/toolbars - it is they that have to be made (or version marked) to be compatible with Firefox. It has *always* been that way with every single browser that is extensible and not just Firefox. It is also simple software logic. Google (like a few other highly profitable software developers) happen to be historically and unacceptably slow at updating such things.
3. There were security issues in 4.0.1 so it is not generally wise (especially for the average poorly system-secured user) to hold off on installing F5.