Firefox 5 killed my Google Toolbar

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Frank Lion

Re: Firefox 5 killed my Google Toolbar

Post by Frank Lion »

Penny Holt wrote:I'd like to report them as the Addon Compatibility Checker says that I may, but how? I can find no way to trigger a dialogue box that will let me do that.

You press the 'Compatibility' button next to the extension/theme in question in the Addons Manager and select from the dropdown and, er, click the option you want.

The details for all this are found by clicking the 'More...' button on the Addon Compatibility Checker extension itself.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
OmegaWolf747

Post by OmegaWolf747 »

Editing the INSTALL.RDF file in that one folder made the toolbar reappear. Such a simple fix! It makes me wonder why extension makers bother specifying a maximum version number to be compatible with.
I charge forward, leaving chaos in my wake.
KWierso

Post by KWierso »

OMG GOOGLE TOOLBAR SAYS IT'S COMPATIBLE WITH FIREFOX 15 BUT IT DOESN'T WORK MOZILLA WHY DID YOU DO THIS HORRIBLE THING BY LETTING THEM SAY THEY'RE COMPATIBLE
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Penny Holt wrote:I'd like to report them as the Addon Compatibility Checker says that I may, but how? I can find no way to trigger a dialogue box that will let me do that.

Be aware that the system Mozilla has setup for Compatibility reports is very difficult for developers to use and requires us to manually seek out the reports, and because they are anonymous it's often impossible for developers to figure out what problem the user is seeing because there is no way to communicate with them. I personally have completely giving up filtering through them. Contacting the developer through their website or putting a review on the addons.mozilla.org page where their extension is hosted is more likely to illicit a response.

OmegaWolf747 wrote:It makes me wonder why extension makers bother specifying a maximum version number to be compatible with.

It's a requirement that is in place for the very good reason that if an extension is not actually compatible... for instance most extensions from Firefox 1.5-2.0 and many from 3.0-3.6, there can be severe problems, corruption of profiles, crashes, etc.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

OmegaWolf747 wrote:It makes me wonder why extension makers bother specifying a maximum version number to be compatible with.

Would you be stupid enough to declare an extension was compatible with a Firefox version that hadn't even been made yet?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Alpha2011

Post by Alpha2011 »

Works perfectly!!!....Many Thanks to the original posters!!!...

Step1:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... r/?src=api

Step2:
https://www.google.com/intl/en/toolbar/ff/index.html
speedyfastcat

Post by speedyfastcat »

Step 1 is an incomplete link.
Step 2 still results in an incompatible Google toolbar with Firefox 5.0
Has anyone anywhere heard if and when Google intends to make its toolbar compatible with Firefox 5.0?
KWierso

Post by KWierso »

speedyfastcat wrote:Step 1 is an incomplete link.
Step 2 still results in an incompatible Google toolbar with Firefox 5.0
Has anyone anywhere heard if and when Google intends to make its toolbar compatible with Firefox 5.0?

Step 1 is https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/15003
Then restart a couple of times.
Then step 2 is installing the toolbar.
Alex-Kl.

Post by Alex-Kl. »

You can use the firefox addon
"Nightly Tester Tools"
to fix the problem

Alex
luna60

Post by luna60 »

Eric65 wrote:Or just uninstall Firefox 5. I just did, because Google Toolbar which I use for my bookmarks still doesn't work with the newly released version of Firefox 5. I'm back to Firefox 4.01 :(

How do I uninstall Firefox 5 and go back to Firefox 4? I've lost about 3 programs that don't have add-ons yet.
thanks!
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Sigh...
Search the Forum or Knowledge Base? >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

This question has been answered dozens of times, and this thread is about the Google Toolbar.
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
b003

Post by b003 »

Worked for me thanks much! :D

Post by Guest »

luna60 wrote:How do I uninstall Firefox 5 and go back to Firefox 4? I've lost about 3 programs that don't have add-ons yet.
thanks!

http://tinyurl.com/68vmqhe
eliuri

Post by eliuri »

OmegaWolf747 wrote:Editing the INSTALL.RDF file in that one folder made the toolbar reappear.

In order to edit the install.rdf file, I had to set Notepad to open it. Prior to that it had no program associated with it.

I now find all my .rdf files set to be opened by Notepad.

Is there a reason to set those .rdf files back to not open with any known application, as they were before?

If so, what's the most straightforward way to do this?

-eliuri

Windows XP Professional Edition SP3
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

eliuri wrote:Is there a reason to set those .rdf files back to not open with any known application, as they were before?

No, that file association is fine and it's not like you've edited any before or you'd already have a program associated with that file type. Just forget about it.