Firefox 5 killed my Google Toolbar

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Indexxx

Re: Firefox 5 killed my Google Toolbar

Post by Indexxx »

Thanks a million for that add-on compatibility! Now it all works perfectly! Was going crazy without my toolbar and such! Thanks again!
ghormax

Post by ghormax »

KWierso wrote:All the addon compatibility reporter does (aside from the "report compatibility" bit) is to add a bunch of preferences telling Firefox to not check version compatibility for extensions for specific versions of Firefox.

After installing the addon, you have to mark the add on as "still working properly" under the compatibility list (I also hesitated because I did not know whether I should claim that). After that, I still had to restart my browser twice.
strangerdanger

Post by strangerdanger »

Vitesse wrote:In about:addons, click on the "more" link and check that it is set to update automatically. Firefox will then check and download it as soon as it's available.

In the interim, you could download the Add-On Compatibility extension. This will enable you to activate the toolbar in Firefox 5. However, there is no guarantee that it will work correctly (or maybe even at all): the extension is really for use with beta versions of Firefox but can be used with final versions.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... r/?src=api

This solution worked best for me too
JonahB52

Post by JonahB52 »

That worked great, thanks!
Pyr0TeK

Post by Pyr0TeK »

Any way to install the Google Toolbar with a fresh install of FireFox 5 as I don't have the extension listed from a previous install like others have and I can't use the compatibility trick listed above?
Vitesse

Post by Vitesse »

If you install the compatibility reporter and restart Firefox, you should then be able to download the toolbar.
Pyr0TeK

Post by Pyr0TeK »

Vitesse wrote:If you install the compatibility reporter and restart Firefox, you should then be able to download the toolbar.

Not possible if I did not have it installed in FireFox 4.x. Like I stated, I do not have the Google Toolbar installed at all so using the compatibility trick won't work eh? :)
Starlight12345

Post by Starlight12345 »

I lost my Google Toolbar, as well...and I am NOT a happy camper!!!
KWierso

Post by KWierso »

Starlight12345 wrote:I lost my Google Toolbar, as well...and I am NOT a happy camper!!!

Then... follow the suggestions here and deal with it?
Vitesse

Post by Vitesse »

Pyr0TeK wrote:
Vitesse wrote:If you install the compatibility reporter and restart Firefox, you should then be able to download the toolbar.

Not possible if I did not have it installed in FireFox 4.x. Like I stated, I do not have the Google Toolbar installed at all so using the compatibility trick won't work eh? :)

It will. I've just tried it. You'll get the standard "Firefox prevented ..." message. Click "allow" and it will then download and you'll be able to install it.
Pyr0TeK

Post by Pyr0TeK »

Vitesse wrote:
Pyr0TeK wrote:

It will. I've just tried it. You'll get the standard "Firefox prevented ..." message. Click "allow" and it will then download and you'll be able to install it.

Not sure how you are doing that... if you don't have it listed as an add-on, which means you don't have it installed AT ALL, and you go to http://toolbar.google.com and try to install it, even with the compatibility extension installed and enabled, it just tells you it is not compatible and there is no "Allow" option. If you totally remove it and then go try to install it from the site.
Vitesse

Post by Vitesse »

Pyr0TeK

Post by Pyr0TeK »

Yeah... no dice. See...

DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Then the next suggestion is "Patience". It's up to Google to release an update to make the toolbar compatible with Firefox 5.
Vitesse

Post by Vitesse »

Well, all I can say is that it installed for me! :-k

Are you sure you have Addon Compatibility Checker enabled? If it is, there will be a yellow bar in your Addons Manager telling you compatability checking is disabled.