Firefox 5 killed my Google Toolbar

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Pyr0TeK

Re: Firefox 5 killed my Google Toolbar

Post by Pyr0TeK »

Vitesse wrote:Well, all I can say is that it installed for me! :-k

Are you sure you have Addon Compatibility Checker enabled? If it is, there will be a yellow bar in your Addons Manager telling you compatability checking is disabled.

Yes but like I stated, I did a fresh install of Firefox 5 with no add-on's so it is not listed as an add-on I can't tell compatibility checker to enable/allow. I have to install it from scratch. I even downloaded the .xpi file itself and tried to install it manually through add-on's and it will not install and just tells you it is not compatible just like it does if you try to do it from their site. Guess I'll have to wait for Google to update it. Grrrr... :evil:
stuff4mds

Post by stuff4mds »

The following worked for me as well. Thanks Vitesse.
strangerdanger wrote:
Vitesse wrote:In about:addons, click on the "more" link and check that it is set to update automatically. Firefox will then check and download it as soon as it's available.

In the interim, you could download the Add-On Compatibility extension. This will enable you to activate the toolbar in Firefox 5. However, there is no guarantee that it will work correctly (or maybe even at all): the extension is really for use with beta versions of Firefox but can be used with final versions.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... r/?src=api

This solution worked best for me too
Pyr0TeK

Post by Pyr0TeK »

I even downloaded the google-toolbar-beta-win-h_asknot-d_set.xpi file, unzipped it, changed the install.rdf file from

Code: Select all

<em:targetApplication>
      <Description>
        <em:id>{ec8030f7-c20a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384}</em:id>
        <em:minVersion>2.0</em:minVersion>
        <em:maxVersion>4.0.*</em:maxVersion>
      </Description>
    </em:targetApplication>

to

Code: Select all

<em:targetApplication>
      <Description>
        <em:id>{ec8030f7-c20a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384}</em:id>
        <em:minVersion>2.0</em:minVersion>
        <em:maxVersion>5.0.*</em:maxVersion>
      </Description>
    </em:targetApplication>

Re-zipped it, renamed it back to .xpi and Firefox 5 tells me it appears to be corrupted when I try to install it manually. [-X :evil:
Starquest

Post by Starquest »

I just changed my incompatible add-ons to work until version 9.0.x. I figure that buys me at least a few months of peace and quiet. I'm getting so G.D.F. tired of farting around with "incompatible" extensions (which are NOT AT ALL incompatible) every time Mozilla sneezes and lets off another version of Firefox. Really, it's getting harder to blame the add-on developers. Pretty much the only thing I've gained since the update to 4.0 was the maddening process of fixing these add-ons. Nothing else was fixed. Memory leak? Not fixed. Multiple processes? Nope.

Sorry.

/rant
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Globe199 wrote: I'm getting so G.D.F. tired of farting around with "incompatible" extensions (which are NOT AT ALL incompatible) every time Mozilla sneezes and lets off another version of Firefox.

Well, it's your own fault. What program do you have installed that doesn't have auto update enabled? Firefox is the same, it's the way of the world these days.

Just do Tools > Options > Advanced > Updates and turn off auto updating of Firefox. When you hear about a new Firefox version, then check out your extensions and update when you are ready and not before.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Starquest

Post by Starquest »

Frank Lion wrote:
Globe199 wrote: I'm getting so G.D.F. tired of farting around with "incompatible" extensions (which are NOT AT ALL incompatible) every time Mozilla sneezes and lets off another version of Firefox.

Well, it's your own fault. What program do you have installed that doesn't have auto update enabled? Firefox is the same, it's the way of the world these days.

Just do Tools > Options > Advanced > Updates and turn off auto updating of Firefox. When you hear about a new Firefox version, then check out your extensions and update when you are ready and not before.

How is it my fault? I updated willingly to 5.0 -- I've not been altogether happy with 4.0 and thought I'd try it. I knew I'd have to fix my add-ons. It's just a hassle, that's all.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

It is sort of a hassle that one of the biggest software companies on the planet can't keep one of their poorest designed pieces of software updated, which in this case wouldn't even require any *actual* updating, just changing 1 number in 1 file. It makes you wonder how they keep it updated for their own web browser if they can't keep up with Firefox. :-"
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

If I'm not mistaken there's never been a Chrome version.

Cough....wonder why ? :roll:
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Ha! I never use Chrome so I only assumed that their flagship crapware would be available for their browser as well... but now it all makes sense! Google Toolbar is a Trojan Horse that Google gives out to it's primary competitors' users: IE and Firefox, in order to take siege of those browsers and make them look slow, buggy, erratic, etc.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Bingo ! :)
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.

Post by Guest »

Penny Holt wrote:Great! The add-on worked very well. There was my toolbar back, just like I left it. I'm happy.

Hi Penny: Can you tell us step by step exactly what you did? I downloaded the add on manager, restarted FF and still get a message saying Google toolbar is incompatible with FF 5.

Thanks,

Reuven
Pyr0TeK

Post by Pyr0TeK »

I tried it again this morning and it appears Google has updated it as I was able to install it on two of my computers with a fresh install of Firefox 5. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Last edited by DanRaisch on June 23rd, 2011, 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Excessive formatting removed.
Penny Holt

Post by Penny Holt »

Okay. Now I'm feeling really stupid. I added the Addon Compatibility Checker, and My Google toolbar installed like a charm. Great. But whenever I reopen FF, all manner of quirky messages come up. I can work around them, but they are just annoying. I'd like to report them as the Addon Compatibility Checker says that I may, but how? I can find no way to trigger a dialogue box that will let me do that. Any suggestions?

Thanks. You lot have been such a great help.
Penny Holt
Victoria, British Columbia
Canada
vasa1

Post by vasa1 »

Penny Holt wrote:... But whenever I reopen FF, all manner of quirky messages come up... Any suggestions?

If you shared the contents of the messages verbatim, folks might find it easier to suggest solutions.
Penny Holt

Post by Penny Holt »

I'm sorry vasa1, you misunderstand me. I'm not worried about the messages. Those I can handle. What I want to know is how to report it through the Addon Compatibility Checker. I will quote the messages verbatim when I make the reports.
Penny Holt
Victoria, British Columbia
Canada