Two FF versions?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
couldabeen

Re: Two FF versions?

Post by couldabeen »

iamme99 wrote:
couldabeen wrote:The procedure provided above DOES work!

No, it does not!

If you read my prior post closely you will see that I did follow the instructions. And what happens is that if an existing FF installation exists (i.e. a profile exists in Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Mozilla) THEN you will be presented with an UPGRADE button, NOT an INSTALL button in the FF new version install. And the new version of FF will then port all the OLD extensions and plug-ins to the new installation. You will also LOSE your old installation.

Now with this new version, you could then create a new profile, delete the old profile that was created as part of the UPGRADE and then rebuild the new profile. But AGAIN, you lost your old install (because your OLD profile was upgraded). There does not seem to be any way to tell FF to not upgrade an existing install nor any way to specify that an install should be to a new profile. An added option like "Do you want to keep your old FF version" is needed. If checked yes, then a further prompt for a new profile (existing or create one) would be required.

Again, with the new version upgrade, you will still have all the OLD plug-ins loaded and installed. I am thinking that I might be able to delete selected plug-ins out of the registry key I referred to previously but I haven't tried this yet to see if it works.

The procedure(s) outlined throughout this thread do WORK! I've done it a hundred times or more on my machines, and on those of family and friends. In fact, I have and 88 year old friend that got it done the first time. The released was installed, and she put in a beta version to play with it

AND>>> I did read your post(s){all of them, as confusing as they are}, and YOU ARE STILL OVER THINKING THINGS!

NEXT: Just a small word of caution>>> If you insist on messing around in the registry, You had better be well prepared for the consequences!

Now I'll back off. I tried and failed, and so have a few others. From this point it's a waste of time to try to get it through to you.
Free Your Mind, And Your A$$ Will Follow - Funkadelic, 1970
iamme99

Post by iamme99 »

I spent all day Sunday working on this. I finally managed to get an install button instead of the upgrade button but I don't know why. I got 5.01 working (sort of) along side 3.6.18. I am not sure how I did it, but I was able to get a new profile in a NEW folder working for the 5.0.1 release.

But 5.01 is a real mess. 1/3 of my add-ons don't work, the status bar is still gone, toolbars are all screwed up, tabs are refusing to load sometimes and I have a host of other problems, issues & concerns with the new design.

So I am going to dump 5.0.1 and start a new profile on 3.6.18. Given all the problems I experienced I am not happy with the changes I have seen in FF nor with how difficult FF is making common tasks that used to be easy.
Gingerbread Man

Post by Gingerbread Man »

iamme99 wrote:1/3 of my add-ons don't work

Add-ons are disabled after updating Firefox
iamme99 wrote:the status bar is still gone

Status-4-Evar
iamme99 wrote:toolbars are all screwed up

Reset them to default, and customize them to your liking afterwards.
How do I customize the toolbars?
iamme99 wrote:tabs are refusing to load sometimes

Close all tabs and clear the cache.
If you use a custom cache location, do not use the same location for two different profiles. Two profiles accessing the cache simultaneously will corrupt it.
iamme99 wrote:I have a host of other problems, issues & concerns with the new design.

Enable the Menu Bar, disable Tabs on Top, and use a third-party theme, e.g. Firefox 3 Aero theme for Firefox 4+, Firefox 3 theme for Firefox 4+ or StrataStripe. Also see All retro themes for Firefox 5.
iamme99 wrote:So I am going to dump 5.0.1 and start a new profile on 3.6.18.

Suit yourself. It hasn't yet been decided when support for 3.6.x will be dropped, but the longer you wait to upgrade, the more difficult the transition afterwards.
iamme99

Post by iamme99 »

Suit yourself. It hasn't yet been decided when support for 3.6.x will be dropped, but the longer you wait to upgrade, the more difficult the transition afterwards.
--------------
I don't know. I had read a lot of unhappy comments with FF 4.x and functionality that had been removed (such as the status bar, save all tabs, etc.). I looks to me like the developers are trying to copy the UI of Chrome or IE.

I was hoping that the FF developers might address those complaints in 5.x but I think they are intent on pissing off as many past users as possible by continuing to remove/change things that people have grown/are comfortable with. Not sure what they hope to gain by that. I was not happy with much of what I saw in FF 5.x.

btw: Is there any way to get the addons to open up in a separate window again? Or do I have to do that manually? OPening it in a tab was yet another DUMB FF developer idea.

Due to the poor memory handling in FF (whether from FF itself or extensions), I've considered swapping to Chrome anyway. Add in how FF developers are screwing up the UI now and breaking so many things that many have become accustomed to and maybe it's time to give Chrome a try. I understand there isn't much difference in the UI's now and Chromes memory management is supposed to be better.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

iamme99 wrote:btw: Is there any way to get the addons to open up in a separate window again? Or do I have to do that manually? OPening it in a tab was yet another DUMB FF developer idea.

Due to the poor memory handling in FF (whether from FF itself or extensions), I've considered swapping to Chrome anyway. Add in how FF developers are screwing up the UI now and breaking so many things that many have become accustomed to and maybe it's time to give Chrome a try. I understand there isn't much difference in the UI's now and Chromes memory management is supposed to be better.

Jeez....... make it stop! ](*,)

I spent all day Sunday working on this.

Really!! Assuming you really had any interest in running two versions, if you had followed Gingerbread Man's excellent visual tutorial it would have taken five minutes.;)
Last edited by mightyglydd on August 2nd, 2011, 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Are we all done here "iamme99"?
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Apparently so.

Locking to save further abuse.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)