FF6 won't ever open router admin; IE9 does instantly

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
jcarerra

FF6 won't ever open router admin; IE9 does instantly

Post by jcarerra »

FF6 won't ever open router admin at http://198.162.0.1 after name/pwd entered;
LATER CORRECTION: 192.168.0.1
IE9 does instantly.
FF6 immediately and repeatedly re-shows the login dialog.
It is reaching the router because it is displaying the login. But the authorization process is failing. Yet not with IE--so the router is not just failing to authenticate--except with authorization request coming from FF.

I have tried this MANY times tonight in each browser. Same result every single time.
IE9 immediately opens the admin page of the router after name/pwd entered.
FF6 fails every single time.

How/what/why is FF6 preventing this?

I hate IE and avoid it as much as possible, but FF is letting me down badly on this one.
Last edited by jcarerra on August 29th, 2011, 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
kronckew

Re: FF6 won't ever open router admin; IE9 does instantly

Post by kronckew »

works fine for me & my router. (BT Home Hub 3, Windows 7 ult. x64, Outpost Security Suite V7.5.1)

it would help if you say what router you have & what operating system you run on your pc. do you have a 3rd party software firewall product, antivirus, and/or any other anti-malware software installed? there are some differences between the way ie9 & firefox interpret html (with ff being the more compliant to standards) if your router's inbuilt html was written for ie rather than to the html std. it could affect ff's ability to work correctly.

there is an add-on for ff that displays pages coded to work only on ie, in ie, called 'ie view' HERE which may be of help. Note the comment on Agnitum's Outpost firewall products - which i am using without any difficulty. the article may refer to an earlier version that required tweaking the settings.

also check to see if cookies are on and javascript is enabled.
CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Retired: Everyday I make a list of those things
That I am not going to do today, Then I don't do them.
squeaky

Post by squeaky »

Could it be an extension such as No Script or Cookie Monster that you haven't "allowed" your router's address on?
Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." Calvin & Hobbes
jcarerra

Post by jcarerra »

works fine for me & my router
Happy for you

it would help if you say what router you have-
CISCO/LINKSYS WRT120N
& what operating system you run on your pc.
WINDOWS 7 HOME PREMIUM SP1
do you have a 3rd party software firewall product,
COMODO
antivirus, and/or any other anti-malware software installed?
SUPERANTISPYWARE
'ie view'
RATHER TRY TO FIX FIREFOX FIRST
also check to see if cookies are on
YES
and javascript is enabled.
HAVE NOSCRIPT, BUT 192.168.0.1 IS WHITELISTED. Even if it were not, an Options button would appear at the bottom, and it does not.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Noscript is pretty notorious for not taking the hint.
Have you tried Firefox Safe mode?
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
Or even a new clean profile just as a quick test
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_ne ... on_Windows
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
kronckew

Post by kronckew »

try disabling comodo temporarily & trying it. if there is a difference, could be comodo's anti-leak or one of the other firewall settings that may need looking at. not sure how comodo looks inside, but in outpost there are various settings for local networking addresses, web control items, anti-leak items, registry control items, application specific comms rules, white and black listed sites, anti-malware functions, etc. etc. - the outpost logs generally let me know if anything is blocked by outpost, and i'd guess the same in comodo...

i also use super-antispyware (freeware) , so that is not a likely culprit.
Last edited by kronckew on August 29th, 2011, 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Retired: Everyday I make a list of those things
That I am not going to do today, Then I don't do them.
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

Online forums track your login status by use of a cookie. Might your router do the same? Try clearing any cookies from 198.162.01.

On the other hand, many years ago I had a router that was written to only work with IE.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
Gopher John

Post by Gopher John »

jcarerra wrote:HAVE NOSCRIPT, BUT 192.168.0.1 IS WHITELISTED. Even if it were not, an Options button would appear at the bottom, and it does not.

Wouldn't IP 198.162.0.1 also have to be whitelisted?
The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them. - Albert Einstein
jcarerra

Post by jcarerra »

makaiguy wrote:Online forums track your login status by use of a cookie. Might your router do the same? Try clearing any cookies from 198.162.01. On the other hand, many years ago I had a router that was written to only work with IE.

Not the router. I just checked using my wife's computer and it opened the router admin using Firefox just fine. It also has Comodo on it.

If it is something the firewall is doing, I cannot find it. I have looked at the filters for both the firewall side and the Defense+ HIPS in it--I see nothing I can identify that would stop it. Also, see nothing in the logs identifiable as the stopper--but there are many things uninterpretable, e.g., a block on xyz.exe where xyz is not a recognizable exe. But clearly, it is not working, so something is set wrong in either Windows or firewall I think.

I remember, I think, that it is nearly impossible to disable Comodo--it keeps something still loaded (or was that Zonealarm???? hmmm, not sure)
Last edited by jcarerra on August 29th, 2011, 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
jcarerra

Post by jcarerra »

Gopher John wrote:
jcarerra wrote:HAVE NOSCRIPT, BUT 192.168.0.1 IS WHITELISTED. Even if it were not, an Options button would appear at the bottom, and it does not.
Wouldn't IP 198.162.0.1 also have to be whitelisted?

Sorry. Typo. 1st post corrected.
jcarerra

Post by jcarerra »

makaiguy wrote:Online forums track your login status by use of a cookie. Might your router do the same? Try clearing any cookies from 198.162.01. On the other hand, many years ago I had a router that was written to only work with IE.

Cleared the cookie for the router. Made no difference.
Not router--see other post.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Did you try this?

malliz wrote:Noscript is pretty notorious for not taking the hint.
Have you tried Firefox Safe mode?
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
Or even a new clean profile just as a quick test
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_ne ... on_Windows
L.A.R. Grizzly

Post by L.A.R. Grizzly »

jcarerra wrote:I remember, I think, that it is nearly impossible to disable Comodo--it keeps something still loaded (or was that Zonealarm???? hmmm, not sure)

If you want to kill Comodo (for testing purposes), first disable Defense+, then kill cmdagent.exe through the Task Manager. Remember, you will be unprotected. After testing, reboot your machine and re-enable Defense+.
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.1.0, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.9.1esr, Thunderbird 115.9.0, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18.2
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

Umm.. might the router require Javascript?
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
jcarerra

Post by jcarerra »

makaiguy wrote:Umm.. might the router require Javascript?

If it did, NoScript would alert me. At any rate, the router IP is whitelisted in NoScript.