Firefox compatibility issue with Facebook

User Help for Mozilla Firefox

Re: Firefox compatibility issue with Facebook

Post by Guest »

patrickjdempsey wrote:A word of advice, I honestly wouldn't trust too many extensions that modify Facebook because the developers of Facebook basically redesign parts of the pages on a weekly if not daily basis. It would be absolutely impossible for anyone to keep up with that pace.

Fixed my problem on FB have FF 6
downsized all my fonts in Tools Options ....also in advanced. down from 16 to 12. now have to use zoom to close up the page instead of preferences in font size.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

OK, I just encountered the problem as well using my extension GreyBackgrounds in Firefox 3.6 that changes the colors of the backgrounds and text on pages. What does this have in common with everyone else? One thing. It would appear that *ANY* CSS changes to Facebook are causing this problem, maybe specifically font sizes. This is not a Firefox issue folks, this is a serious problem with how Facebook is doing layout that makes it extremely inflexible to user CSS changes. Changing font size is an accessibility feature that should never break websites in this way!
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/

Post by Guest »

patrickjdempsey wrote:OK, I just encountered the problem as well using my extension GreyBackgrounds in Firefox 3.6 that changes the colors of the backgrounds and text on pages. What does this have in common with everyone else? One thing. It would appear that *ANY* CSS changes to Facebook are causing this problem, maybe specifically font sizes. This is not a Firefox issue folks, this is a serious problem with how Facebook is doing layout that makes it extremely inflexible to user CSS changes. Changing font size is an accessibility feature that should never break websites in this way!

Did not think this was FF issue as the Web Developer in FF 6 shows the errors in web pages.
Mine showed zoom, inbox, font errors...
which is code errors on page not browser.
patrickjdempsey

Well, just about *every* page has errors that show up in Error Console, etc... but most of the time those errors deal with layout specifically designed to be read only by other browsers (or other versions of Firefox) and therefore have no impact on the layout in your version of Firefox.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
KateBB

Post by KateBB »

Of course it occurred to me that FB had "done something" that interfered with the Firefox platform. But, hey, little individuals like you and me are probably not going to get FB's attention. Firefox management needs to step in, perhaps?

I have abandoned FF for the time being. My post last night was poofed because I recommended one that begins with G. All my problems were solved. The FF platform has always been very cool but geared more to techies, I do believe. I maintain two websites and it's always FF that is fussy to code for.
Bikerbubbe

Post by Bikerbubbe »

The Ultimate Facebook Enhancer finally fixed most of my problem although Firefox still wont keep me logged into Facebook. Ive done everything else suggested here. Im seriously thinking about switching to Google Chrome. Ive spent hours and hours trying to clean up what Firefox has screwed up here.
patrickjdempsey

Bikerbubbe wrote: Ive done everything else suggested here.

LoudNoise wrote:Has anyone tried a new profile yet? Instructions for windows. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_ne ... on_Windows
ashickurnoor

Post by ashickurnoor »

Have some body find the solution? I don't want to leave firefox only for this thing.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

ashickurnoor...
I gave you the link to this thread for ref; only.
Have you tried any of the suggestions in here yet?

Please stay with your original thread.
Thank you.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
tpx

Post by tpx »

This is not a Firefox problem, I was able to reproduce it in Opera. BTW, None of the circumventions given worked for me with Firefox on 3 different computers.

The only change that made the page display correctly was changing the MINIMUM FONT SIZE to a number no larger than 14. If the same problem occurs on two different browsers on three different computers at the same time, Facebook can be the only problem cause. They changed something.

This issue doesn't happen on IE or Chrome because they don't have this setting. This is one of the reason I won't use those browsers, they don't let you control a minimum, they force you to distort text rendering in other ways.

The reason for us (my wife and myself) needing this is that high resolution monitors and/or poor eyesight requires setting a higher minimum font than the default. In a way, this speaks well of Opera & Firefox in that they have better user friendly control.

I make very little use of FB, so I am willing to just dump them if that's they way they're going to be. My wife (and anyone else who) uses FB alot has a tougher choice. Use FB 'all messed up' if you want to be able read the rest of your web pages; lower the minimum font and degrade your whole browsing experience; or change browsers and live with the compromises that includes.

Notice that FB fixing this isn't listed. Good luck with that...
tpx

Post by tpx »

P.S.: Also 3 different OS's - XP, Vista, WIN7
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

bikerbubbe

Since your post had nothing to do with the topic at hand, a discussion and support about how Facebook appears in Firefox, I move your post to here: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2299379
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
fsw

Post by fsw »

tpx....Your fix worked....Thank you
KateBB

Post by KateBB »

The font fix did not work for me.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Have you tried a new profile?
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."