Freezes up randomly for 30-50 seconds at a time

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Timaneo

Freezes up randomly for 30-50 seconds at a time

Post by Timaneo »

Running the latest versions, this has been going on for a month or two. Happens in safe mode as well. I already reformatted my computer because of it and it is still happening. Doesn't matter what I am doing or what I am looking at, Firefox with be unresponsive for half to a full minute every 3-10 minutes. I can still minimize it and reopen it fine but It is unresponsive besides that. If I click anywhere a few times the screen turns brighter and the mouse arrow turns into the spinning wheel. Once it comes back to life it is as if nothing happened.

I tried the changing the network.http.max-connections to 48 like in the other thread but that didn't help. Really upset with this problem now as it caused me days of my time. Please help! I don't want to switch over as I have been using firefox for years.
DanRaisch

Re: Freezes up randomly for 30-50 seconds at a time

Post by DanRaisch »

Try turning off hardware acceleration.

Menu path Tools->Options->Advanced->General tab->click on the "Config Editor" button.
Enter "gfx.direct2d.disabled" in the filter tab (without the quotes) and double click on the displayed entry to change the setting to "True". Close and restart
Thunderbird.

If problems persist, try disabling the following two settings in the same way, changing one at a time with a restart in between:
layers.acceleration.disabled
layers.prefer-opengl
Alice0775

Post by Alice0775 »

Timaneo

Post by Timaneo »

DanRaisch, none of those worked.

Alice0775, I think it worked!!! so far 20 minutes in and not a single freeze!

Thanks guys!
ChiLLon

Post by ChiLLon »

This solved my issue, almost full 24 hours now without a freeze :)