MozillaZine

Thunderbird -> certain Firefox-profile

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Miccovin

Post Posted November 2nd, 2011, 2:29 am

Hi folks,

I work with several Firefox profiles. This problem I will describe with two profiles:
- default-profile - starts "normally" (click on icon)
- Stylish-profile - starts with -no-remote

Now I have Thunderbird, too. And i want Thunderbird to send links ONLY to my default-profile.
This works if I start the default-profile first and then the stylish-profile.

But:
If I have both profiles open (first the default, second the stylish) and restart the default-profile - it no longer works.
Now the default-profile starts after the stylish-profile and Thunderbird always wants to send links to the Stylish-profile.

The only thing I can do is to restart both profiles and start the default-profile first.

Do you please have any idea what I can do to send Thunderbird-links EVERY TIME to the same Firefox-profile.

Thx,
Mic

PS: Xubuntu 11.04, Firefox 7.0.1, Thunderbird 3.1.15

Kitefighter

Post Posted November 2nd, 2011, 5:42 am

Since you are trying to always target your default profile I don't see a problem because this is the default behavior. I can't reproduce that, links I click in a TB window always open in my default Firefox profile. If I have another profile opened with -no-remote Firefox launches another instance with my default profile. I'm on Windows, could that be a Xubuntu issue?

Judging from the thread title you want to target a specific Firefox profile (no matter if default or not) when you click a link in Thunderbird.
I don't think that can be done on the Firefox side. How would Firefox know about the TB profile the URL is passed from? This sounds like a task for a TB extension.

Miccovin

Post Posted November 2nd, 2011, 6:05 am

Kitefighter wrote:If I have another profile opened with -no-remote Firefox launches another instance with my default profile. I'm on Windows, could that be a Xubuntu issue?

Did you try to close and restart the default (and first started) profile during your second profile is open? After this the second profile is the first instance and Thunderbird sends all links to it.
This is the behaviour on my Xubuntu and on others Windows-PCs too. We spoke about it in a forum, so I dont think it is a specific OS-problem.

Kitefighter wrote:How would Firefox know about the TB profile the URL is passed from? This sounds like a task for a TB extension.

Well, i thought either there is a way to say that a specific firefox-profile is the default for everything (maybe with a command in the profiles.ini of Firefox?) or yes, something that says Thunderbird to which profile the link will be send.

Miccovin

Post Posted November 2nd, 2011, 6:41 am

Ok, i found a little mistake at my studies. Now I think it`s only a thunderbirdproblem.

Why? I cannot restart the default (first) firefox-profile e.g. with a restart-button because the second profile and instance is still open. So it opens only a second window of the second instance. I have to close the default-profile and restart it with -no-remote. The default profile is still default in the profile.ini (Default=1).

But Thunderbird still sends all links to the Stylishprofile because now it became the first firefox-instance. So i think i need an addon or something for thunderbird, because it always sends its links to the first firefox-instance - doesn`t matter what stands in the firefox-profile.ini.

Return to Firefox Support