MozillaZine

Favicons disappeared from tabs at last update

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Homer.D.Poe

User avatar
 
Posts: 12
Joined: November 13th, 2011, 1:17 pm

Post Posted November 13th, 2011, 1:44 pm

Favicons disappeared from tabs at last update 8.0, replaced with a dotted box place-holder.

The favicons on the bookmarks toolbar are fine, but not on the tabs, not even if I hit refresh.
They work fine on IE so I know it's not the websites' change.

Image

rob64rock

User avatar
 
Posts: 2122
Joined: November 11th, 2009, 6:16 am

Post Posted November 13th, 2011, 2:58 pm

Ralph Redan wrote:Favicons disappeared from tabs at last update 8.0, replaced with a dotted box place-holder.

The favicons on the bookmarks toolbar are fine, but not on the tabs, not even if I hit refresh.
They work fine on IE so I know it's not the websites' change.

Image

Bug mention here:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2357579
Bug 701297 – Several favicons are lost in bookmarks with the upgrade to Firefox 8

The favicon was changed due to:
Bug 648668 - update blank document default favicon

Yes it is intentional and expected behavior. Only for New tabs and or about:blank. Also for sites that do not have a favicon also.

For those that don't like the new default favicon try one of these add-ons:
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/identfavicon
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/bookmark-favicon-changer/

Or one of these Userstyles:

  • This style restores the blank document default favicon that was changed due to Bug 648668 - update blank document default favicon. Which effected the default favicons on New Tabs(about:blank) and also for sites that do not have a favicon when in the Urlbar, on the Bookmarks Toolbar, in the Bookmark folders, and in the Bookmark Sidebar.

  • This style replaces the default favicon on New/Blank tabs and bookmarked sites that do not have a favicon on the Bookmarks Toolbar, in the Bookmark folders, and in the Bookmark Sidebar with a Fx Branding logo icon.

    • Fx/Beta = Orange Firefox logo icon
    • Aurora = Aurora brand logo icon
    • Nightly = Nightly brand logo icon

Note:
  • Regarding the issue of how to apply CSS code or Userstyles you can use Stylish extension which provides a nice, easy UI that also allows you to add, test, revise, and remove CSS styles without having to restart the browser each time. I would say give it a test drive and see what you think.

Homer.D.Poe

User avatar
 
Posts: 12
Joined: November 13th, 2011, 1:17 pm

Post Posted November 13th, 2011, 3:03 pm

Intentional? No. Empty favicons just waste space.
Expected? No. Your old version did it right. IE does it right. That's what's expected.

Lame excuses for a bug.

I don't know why you guys try so hard to cover up bug reports.
Nobody is fooled.
Bugs are part of the software process, and so is bug reporting and especially so is bug fixing. Try it.

RobertJ
Moderator

User avatar
 
Posts: 10862
Joined: October 15th, 2003, 7:40 pm
Location: Chicago IL/Oconomowoc WI

Post Posted November 13th, 2011, 3:15 pm

Ralph Redan wrote:I don't know why you guys try so hard to cover up bug reports.
Nobody is fooled.
Bugs are part of the software process, and so is bug reporting and especially so is bug fixing. Try it.


We guys and gals are not part of Mozilla.

Established in 1998, MozillaZine is an independent Mozilla news, community and support site. MozillaZine is not run by the Mozilla Foundation and is not an official part of the Mozilla project. MozillaZine is hosted at the Open Source Lab at Oregon State University.

Ranting is not is the spirit of community support. If you want to rant I would suggest you go here.

.
FF 81.0 - FF 82b1 - FF 83a - TB 78.2.2 - Mac OSX 10.13.6

Homer.D.Poe

User avatar
 
Posts: 12
Joined: November 13th, 2011, 1:17 pm

Post Posted November 13th, 2011, 5:09 pm

I didn't come here to argue.
I came here to report a bug and see if anyone has a solution.


It's not a "theme" problem!
Nobody cares what the "default blank page icon" looks like!

The problem is NOT about blank pages but regular ones.
I go to the NY Times page, and they have a fancy blackletter T as their favicon
It does NOT appear on the tab.
If you use the older version, or Internet Explorer, the favicon appears on the tab.

Has nothing to do with the bookmark file, since this is a non-bookmark site reference. Just type in nytimes.com and see what you get.
This is what I got:
Image

Internet Explorer: Image
Last edited by Homer.D.Poe on November 13th, 2011, 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Night Wing

User avatar
 
Posts: 179
Joined: August 20th, 2011, 5:18 am
Location: Texas

Post Posted November 13th, 2011, 5:19 pm

It works for me.

LoudNoise
New Member

User avatar
 
Posts: 40048
Joined: October 18th, 2007, 1:45 pm
Location: Next door to the west

Post Posted November 13th, 2011, 5:21 pm

Are you using Favicon Picker 2 addon?
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."

Night Wing

User avatar
 
Posts: 179
Joined: August 20th, 2011, 5:18 am
Location: Texas

Post Posted November 13th, 2011, 5:23 pm

The only two addons I use for FF 8 is NoSquint and IE Tab V2.

LoudNoise
New Member

User avatar
 
Posts: 40048
Joined: October 18th, 2007, 1:45 pm
Location: Next door to the west

Post Posted November 13th, 2011, 5:24 pm

Sorry about my aim Night Wing :). That was meant for Ralph Redan
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."

patrickjdempsey

User avatar
 
Posts: 23734
Joined: October 23rd, 2008, 11:43 am
Location: Asheville NC

Post Posted November 13th, 2011, 5:25 pm

@Ralph Redan please don't cross-post in multiple threads, it makes it extremely difficult for people trying to help you. Please try to restore the missing favicons using Check Places:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... eckplaces/
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/

Homer.D.Poe

User avatar
 
Posts: 12
Joined: November 13th, 2011, 1:17 pm

Post Posted November 13th, 2011, 5:30 pm

patrickjdempsey wrote:@Ralph Redan please don't cross-post in multiple threads, it makes it extremely difficult for people trying to help you. Please try to restore the missing favicons using Check Places:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... eckplaces/


You clearly aren't reading the problem correctly.
It has nothing to do with my bookmarks.
The problem happens without using bookmarks.

Homer.D.Poe

User avatar
 
Posts: 12
Joined: November 13th, 2011, 1:17 pm

Post Posted November 13th, 2011, 5:34 pm

LoudNoise wrote:Are you using Favicon Picker 2 addon?


YES!
I turned it off and I'm back to normal.
THANK YOU for getting that the problem was that the new version was breaking an add-on.
I would never have remembered that, that's been working for years.

I just hope they get better at not breaking add-ons.
Surely someone in beta test has that add-on.

patrickjdempsey

User avatar
 
Posts: 23734
Joined: October 23rd, 2008, 11:43 am
Location: Asheville NC

Post Posted November 13th, 2011, 6:05 pm

Ralph Redan wrote:You clearly aren't reading the problem correctly.
It has nothing to do with my bookmarks.
The problem happens without using bookmarks.


For future reference, the places.sqlite database stores BOTH bookmarks and current browsing history.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/

dfoulkes

User avatar
 
Posts: 22575
Joined: June 28th, 2008, 10:31 pm
Location: Mesquite, Nevada

Post Posted November 14th, 2011, 10:04 am

Ralph Redan wrote:
LoudNoise wrote:Are you using Favicon Picker 2 addon?


YES!
I turned it off and I'm back to normal.
THANK YOU for getting that the problem was that the new version was breaking an add-on.
I would never have remembered that, that's been working for years.

I just hope they get better at not breaking add-ons.
Surely someone in beta test has that add-on.

First... Firefox does not break addons... it's the authors job to test their product against pre-releases of Firefox.... if they don't, then they break them.

With respect to the extension Favicon Picker 2 the author has made updates for the current Firefox version (I assume that you check for extension updates???) but I did notice on the comments section that somebody posted a problem with icons missing from tabs... same problem as you...
I use the below extension to do exactly the same thing as the ext. you were using... it works fine for me and takes the place of the one you were using... with no issues.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... er/?src=ss
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!

Homer.D.Poe

User avatar
 
Posts: 12
Joined: November 13th, 2011, 1:17 pm

Post Posted November 14th, 2011, 10:17 am

patrickjdempsey wrote:
Ralph Redan wrote:You clearly aren't reading the problem correctly.
It has nothing to do with my bookmarks.
The problem happens without using bookmarks.


For future reference, the places.sqlite database stores BOTH bookmarks and current browsing history.


For future reference, you were wrong, it had nothing to do with that file.

Return to Firefox Support


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 8 guests