How to completely remove AVG Safe Search add-on?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox

How to completely remove AVG Safe Search add-on?

Post by Guest »

Hi,
Is there a way to completely remove (not just disable) the AVG Safe Search add-on? It prevents me from connecting to the internet!

I have Windows Vista, FF 6.0.1 with options marked as "warn me when sites try to install add-ons" and "ask me what to do when updates are found".
When I installed AVG free, I unticked the search bar because I didn't want to install it.
I'm not sure if the Safe Search add-on was installed then or if was "updated" afterwords, but within a day or two I kept getting messages saying "firefox is using too much memory. Close and restart". Then I could not connect to the internet anymore.

After several hours trying to figure out what the problem was, I found the add-on and disabled it. It didn't solve the problem.
Finally, I found a post suggesting un-ticking the boxes in link-scanner settings in AVG Tools / advanced options. It did the trick and all was well for a few days ...

... until this morning when I once again lost internet connection.
Checking the add-ons I saw that the AVG search was still disabled, but showed as recently updated. I certainly did not update it!!!
Took me a few more hours to finally find a post suggesting ticking LinkScanner in Ignore error status in AVG Tools / advanced options. I'm finally back online.

Now, I've always thought that AVG was a great anti-virus, but this add-on is a nightmare. And how can it install and update itself without my knowledge? The FF options I have marked should prevent from it?
It only gives the option to enable/disable it, so is there a way to remove this piece of @#!$%# ?

Thank you very much for any help.
JayhawksRock

Re: How to completely remove AVG Safe Search add-on?

Post by JayhawksRock »

You need to change settings in AVG. Try this > http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Con ... %20add-ons
Scroll down to AVG Safe Search
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln

Post by Guest »

Thank you very much for the quick reply.
This is what I did to get it to work. What I'm looking for now is a way to completely remove the add-on.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

It's a component of AVG. Probably the only way to completely remove it is to completely remove AVG.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

I use AVG also but haven't had these problems in a long, long time.

You might try uninstalling AVG, then reinstalling. On the reinstall, configure it not to install Safe search or Link Scanner.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
velascomike

Post by velascomike »

Here is a solution I found:

In the registry editor navigate to:
KEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Mozilla\Firefox\Extensions

and delete the key:
{3f963a5b-e555-4543-90e2-c3908898db71}
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\Firefox

Then delete the contents of the folder:
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\Firefox

Worked for me

via (http://www.technipages.com/firefox-3-ca ... d-out.html)