Download but can't install

User Help for Mozilla Firefox

Download but can't install

Post by Guest »

I have downloaded Firefox.

After the download completes, I have a 'Firefox Setup 1_0_1' application.

When I double click on the application I see the following:

EXTRACTING

VERIFYING INTEGRITY OF ARCHIVES...PLEASE WAIT

Then, the application ends.

It's like the application does nothing.

I am trying to do this on a Windows 98 box. I downloaded, installed, and am using Firefox on another Windows98 box (the one I'm currently using) with no problems at all.

?????????
Äkiidoll

Post by Äkiidoll »

Could be a .dll file issue with the installer/Win98.
Use the .zip build then.
A prisoner of Christ Jesus, by His stripes I was healed
BeachKeys

Post by BeachKeys »

CaetckGurl wrote:Could be a .dll file issue with the installer/Win98.
Use the .zip build then.

Where does it reside?
mcm_ham

Post by mcm_ham »

Perhaps a different installer might help.
http://mcmblog.sitesled.com/#Firefox_Installer

Otherwise here is a link to the zip version.
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/ ... n32/en-US/
LeRoi

Post by LeRoi »

Clear the contents of your Temp directory, then try to install Firefox. On my system the path is C:\Windows\Temp\

This may also help:

Run Firefox in Windows 95/98
Chuck Rog

Re: Download but can't install

Post by Chuck Rog »

[quote="Anonymous"]I have downloaded Firefox.

After the download completes, I have a 'Firefox Setup 1_0_1' application.

When I double click on the application I see the following:

EXTRACTING

VERIFYING INTEGRITY OF ARCHIVES...PLEASE WAIT

Then, the application ends.

It's like the application does nothing.

I am trying to do this on a Windows 98 box. I downloaded, installed, and am using Firefox on another Windows98 box (the one I'm currently using) with no problems at all.

?????????[/quote]
I just went thru the -EXACT- same thing, after having successfully installed 1_0_6 on my Toshiba
laptop (W98). Really like Firefox. Upgraded my 'mainframe' from W95 to W98 on a new Hard Disk.
Firefox Setup 1.0.6 would NOT install on this 'fresh' install of W98. What I did, because I was thoroughly P.O.'d and having read other posts re: \TEMP\ subdirectory (didn't work for me), downloading and installing "MS Libraries Update for W98", filename is -SPEU.EXE- (didn't work for me, but surely was beneficial for something. Thanks, John Haller.com).
Checked Toshiba laptop for 'date/version' of file 'COMCTL32.DLL' (Thanks again John Haller, re
W95 and Firefox). Was way 'newer' than the mainframe's fresh install of W98, so I decided to copy the Toshiba's version onto the mainframe (Dell).

>>>>> WARNING <<<<< >>>>> WARNING <<<<< >>>>> WARNING <<<<<

***** The following is -NOT- recommended for novice computer 'users'. This is a solution for
***** computer experts, who -really- know what they are doing (like me, heh-heh).
***** COMCTL32.DLL is in: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ directory.

1. Copied Dell's (old) version to C:\temp\ and named it: COMCTL32.DLL_DELL
2. Copied Tosh's (newer) version to Dell's C:\temp\ and named it: COMCTL32.DLL_TOSH
(Now I have both versions safely tucked away, for when it 'hits' the fan. For safety's sake,
did the same thing with Toshiba's C:\temp\, since I already had my Direct Cable Connection
running....)
3. Copied COMCTL32.DLL_TOSH into C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ directory.
4. -Attempted- to rename the original Dell (older) COMCTL32.DLL to COMCTL32.DLL_ORIG,
but W98 wouldn't let me, saying that it was 'in use by Windows'. Now I was really getting
ticked, so I shut down and booted the W98 'Setup Floppy' that I made during the Dell W98
fresh install. 'In use by Windows', huh. So we get rid of Windows and run DOS, old reliable.
5. After the reboot into DOS, and the familiar A:> prompt, I was feeling a lot better. Did the old:
C:, then: CD WINDOWS\SYSTEM, then: DIR COM* and there they were...
-NOT- 'In use by Windows'... NOTE: that the filename: COMCTL32.DLL_TOSH showed up
as: COMCTL~1.DLL since DOS only knows the 8.3 filenames. So then I did the renames.
6. REN COMCTL32.DLL COMCTL32.JCR (my initials), and
7. REN COMCTL~1.DLL COMCTL32.DLL (which is now the Toshiba's newer version).
8. Did a last: DIR COM* and they looked OK to me... Powered down and rebooted W98,
assuming that MS will probably screw something up. But everything looked normal.
9. Double-clicked my 'Direct Cable Conn.' copy of the Tosh's 'Firefox Setup 1.0.6' held my breath
while it sailed by the "Verifying integrity of archives' message box, and BINGO: the Firefox
successfully installed (or something like that) message.
10. Followed up with the "Thunderbird Setup 1.0.6" install, everything looks GREAT....
11. So, I think I'm in pretty good shape. ( --Really Didn't -- want to do the vers. 1.0.1 .ZIP that
I downloaded at 28.8, wanted same as Toshiba was running.)

Hope this helps somebody... You guys gave all the clues. Thanks Much !!!

Post by Guest »

This really helped me a lot... I had exactly the same problem on Windows NT.
Our company is changing from using Netscape 4.7 to Firefox 1.0.6 (that was about time :-)).. But we are still working with NT and on some PC's it installed without problem, but most PC's, the installer dissapeared like you described.
And by reading that it is the common controls wich is causing the trouble, I updated it and firefox installed without problems.
Maybe an easier (and the correct) way to update your Common Controls in Windows 95/98/NT than the above described procedure is by downloading and installing this file: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en