MozillaZine

How to let the library window stay active

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
ollydbg23

Post Posted December 1st, 2011, 6:09 pm

When I use ctrl+shift+B to open the library window, then I double click on a bookmark, the firefox browser window will be active.

But sometimes, I would like to stay browsing on the library windows, and double click on other bookmarks. So, the question is:

Is it possible that I can still have the library window active if I double click on a bookmark entry.

Thank you.

patrickjdempsey

Post Posted December 1st, 2011, 6:17 pm

Use the Bookmarks Sidebar: Ctrl-B.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/

Post Posted December 1st, 2011, 6:19 pm

look in the Windows' status bar ....... do you see the [Library . . . . . . ] button?

ollydbg23

Post Posted December 1st, 2011, 6:21 pm

patrickjdempsey wrote:Use the Bookmarks Sidebar: Ctrl-B.

Thank you for the reply. Bookmarks Sidebar do work.
Any chance with the Library window? :D

ollydbg23

Post Posted December 1st, 2011, 6:25 pm

Guest wrote:look in the Windows' status bar ....... do you see the [Library . . . . . . ] button?

Yes, it there, but sometimes, I would like to double click on several bookmarks, then switch to the browser window to see their contents.

Switch back to the Library window every time when I click on the bookmark is annoying.

Thanks.

patrickjdempsey

Post Posted December 1st, 2011, 6:29 pm

You can force the Library window into a tab, but personally I think the Sidebar is more convenient as it's always up and open.

Just open this address and bookmark it... you can Pin it if you want.
chrome://browser/content/places/places.xul

You can go really crazy and open this up as a Sidebar by right-clicking on the bookmark > Properties > check Load this bookmark in the sidebar.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/

oaty

Post Posted December 1st, 2011, 6:33 pm

ollydbg23 wrote:Yes, it there, but sometimes, I would like to double click on several bookmarks, then switch to the browser window to see their contents.

Switch back to the Library window every time when I click on the bookmark is annoying.

hold down Ctrl ........ select the bookmarks you want to visit ... click Open All In Tabs

ollydbg23

Post Posted December 1st, 2011, 6:43 pm

patrickjdempsey wrote:You can force the Library window into a tab, but personally I think the Sidebar is more convenient as it's always up and open.

Just open this address and bookmark it... you can Pin it if you want.
chrome://browser/content/places/places.xul

Thank you very much, this works quite nice!!

You can go really crazy and open this up as a Sidebar by right-clicking on the bookmark > Properties > check Load this bookmark in the sidebar.

Yeah, it works too. But I prefer the previous tab view way, because I think showing library window(which contains several columns) in a sidebar is not quite good. :?
Any way, thank you very much!!!

oaty wrote:hold down Ctrl ........ select the bookmarks you want to visit ... click Open All In Tabs

This also works, but I have too many bookmarks and they are stored in separate folders, so I'm thinking that multiply select of the bookmark entry does not work between different folders.

Post Posted December 1st, 2011, 6:49 pm

ollydbg23 wrote:
oaty wrote:hold down Ctrl ........ select the bookmarks you want to visit ... click Open All In Tabs

This also works, but I have too many bookmarks and they are stored in separate folders, so I'm thinking that multiply select of the bookmark entry does not work between different folders.

first, run a Search of bookmarks, so only likely suspects are showing in the list of bookmarks
:mrgreen:

Return to Firefox Support