MozillaZine

When I update Firefox will I lose my current bookmarks?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
ArmyDave
 
Posts: 1
Joined: March 24th, 2005, 8:57 am
Location: New York City

Post Posted March 24th, 2005, 9:06 am

I am using Firefox version 1.0. The updates tell me to make sure there are no previous version of Firefox. If I delete the version I'm using will I lose my bookmarks? Do I have to uninstall the current version first? This seems like a real pain as I'll have to print out a copy of my bookmarks then manually reload everything. Thank you for your advice.

LeRoi
Moderator

User avatar
 
Posts: 10346
Joined: September 15th, 2003, 10:22 am

Post Posted March 24th, 2005, 9:14 am

You shouldn't have any problems updating by uninstalling and installing the new version because the profile folders should remain intact, but it pays to back up just in case.

With Firefox closed, back up important files housed in the profile folder (copy and paste to another location):

Windows XP: Show Hidden Program or System Files

Locate your profile folder

Backing up your profile

Specific files of interest

Mini-Geek

User avatar
 
Posts: 1239
Joined: February 7th, 2005, 8:08 pm
Location: Bulverde (near San Antonio), Texas, USA

Post Posted March 24th, 2005, 9:14 am

ArmyDave wrote:If I delete the version I'm using will I lose my bookmarks?
no, they're stored in your profile folder that isn't touched while uninstalling
ArmyDave wrote:Do I have to uninstall the current version first?
you don't necessarily have to but otherwise you'll have two entries in add/remove programs, one for each version. this bug should be fixed by 1.1
Playing computers since 6 months old,
Tim
Fx 2.0.0.1 on WinXP - Forum Rules

StudioCity1
Guest
 

Post Posted March 24th, 2005, 11:16 am

Out of nowhere, Firefox popped up yesterday on my computer and there was a totally new interface asking if I wanted to "choose profile"
After that, I completely found my bookmarks to be wiped out.

There was no prior notice of an upcoming upgrade to Firefox, so this just took me completely by unpleasant surprise.

LeRoi
Moderator

User avatar
 
Posts: 10346
Joined: September 15th, 2003, 10:22 am

Post Posted March 24th, 2005, 11:19 am


greenknight

User avatar
 
Posts: 6161
Joined: December 13th, 2004, 2:28 am
Location: In the shadow of Mount St. Helens

Post Posted March 25th, 2005, 3:53 am

StudioCity1 wrote:Out of nowhere, Firefox popped up yesterday on my computer and there was a totally new interface asking if I wanted to "choose profile"
After that, I completely found my bookmarks to be wiped out.

There was no prior notice of an upcoming upgrade to Firefox, so this just took me completely by unpleasant surprise.
This has nothing to do with upgrades, it just means firefox failed to shut down completely.

AsianBizGuru
 
Posts: 3
Joined: December 21st, 2004, 11:23 am
Location: Thailand

Post Posted March 25th, 2005, 3:58 am

greenknight wrote:
StudioCity1 wrote:Out of nowhere, Firefox popped up yesterday on my computer and there was a totally new interface asking if I wanted to "choose profile"
After that, I completely found my bookmarks to be wiped out.

There was no prior notice of an upcoming upgrade to Firefox, so this just took me completely by unpleasant surprise.
This has nothing to do with upgrades, it just means firefox failed to shut down completely.


Ok, well apparently THIS happened to me .. I had preciously used my bookmarks and carefully filed them .. NOW .. all are gone after Updating to 1.0.2 ...

What do I do??? Any solution??

Thanks,

Greg
Greg

greenknight

User avatar
 
Posts: 6161
Joined: December 13th, 2004, 2:28 am
Location: In the shadow of Mount St. Helens

Post Posted March 25th, 2005, 4:40 am

Check out LeRoi's links above.
Win 7 Home Premium SP1 x64, Linux Mint 17 MATE x64, AMD A4 5300 APU 3.6 GHz, ADATA XPG DDR3 1600 8GB, ATI Radeon HD 5450 1GB, Firefox 40.0.3, Developer Edition 42.0a2 (Win only), Nightly 43.0a1x64 (Win), Nightly 43.0a1 (Linux AMD64) .

Return to Firefox Support


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests