"Help! I'm still getting Pop-ups" - The solution

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
tonino1864

Post by tonino1864 »

Yes, craigevil...excellent post.

Post by Guest »

the most effective way would be to disable flash and javascript. since most pop ups exploit them. But then again your suggestions are easier.
LOLolOL

Post by LOLolOL »

would just like to point out that the originator of this post listed a bunch of av's to use...those are all crap...only trust either Kapersky or PC-Cillin...they are the only ones that you should use as they are the best....
craigevil

Post by craigevil »

LOLolOL wrote:would just like to point out that the originator of this post listed a bunch of av's to use...those are all crap...only trust either Kapersky or PC-Cillin...they are the only ones that you should use as they are the best....

They all work!!

"Top 7 Windows Antivirus"
http://antivirus.about.com/cs/beforeyou ... pavwin.htm
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.26-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

Post by Guest »

It's actaully opinionated. Nice post but, U shouldn't recommend single products that no-one will pay for like anyone like me.
This really erks me when i see website like this

"Try bla bla bla for FREE"
"Buy bla bla bla"

Fock that, U greedy mother fockers

Post by Guest »

Oh sorry I was talking to LOLolOL, only.

:D
craigevil

Post by craigevil »

Which is why most of the ones I recommended are free or have free versions. Why pay for any software if you can get something to do the exact same thing for FREE.
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.26-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
My Giant Sources.list
Blue_Drache

Post by Blue_Drache »

5. Click handler popups. Many websites have given up on opening classic popup windows, and now use script that opens an advertising window when you mouseclick in their page, in addition to doing whatever the mouseclick should have done. Examples: Drudge Report, ngemu, Useless Facts.

Actually, AdBlocker does quite well in blocking these pests. If they're using a script to fire off a popup, you can use AdBlocker to selectively block scripts, iframes, frames, images, and other elements within a page.

For Example, on Useless Facts, the script in question is: hxxp://popunder.paypopup.com/popup.php?id=axiommedia&pop=enter&t=1&subid=7248&blk=1 and is blocked by the RegXP line /\W(banmanpro|centrport|clk_thru|contextuallinks?|falkag|klipmart|mediaturf|offerfusion
|paypopup|redirect.*banner|tacoda|werbung|(hit|spin|google/)box)[\W_]/

EDIT: Above should be considered one line. Edited to keep the darn thing from stretching the screen. Word wrap doesn't work right.

Thanks filterset.g!

Really, as far as security goes, SpywareBlaster, Spybot and Ad-Aware, as well as Firefox with Adblock is all I've ever needed. Zero popups, zero crapware.
Lofting the cyberwinds on teknoleather wings, I am...
The Blue Drache
At home & work: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050915 Firefox/1.0.7

Post by Guest »

ive been having the problem of ocassional popups which led me to this thread.

My Question is : cant firefox block popups without adblock?

i dont want to use adblock. cant i still have firefox block all unwanted popups like bfore?
craigevil

Post by craigevil »

Advertisers keep find new ways around popup blockers. You can try :
To block pop-ups from plugins (such as Flash) type about:config in the location bar; right-click anywhere in the page and choose New>Integer; type privacy.popups.disable_from_plugins and press Ok; type 2 and press Ok
[You can choose anything between 0 and 2;
0: open allowed
1: the opened windows are treated as popups, but they're allowed to open (we limit the number of these types of popups)
2: the window is a popup, block it]

That will block most popups that are caused by Flash and Java. Adblock is not only for stopping popups, by getting rid of ad banners you will speed up your internet browsing.

Read through the second post in this thread. Make sure the popups you are receiving are not caused by adware on your pc.
My Giant Sources.list
scissor

Post by scissor »

i dont want to use adblock. cant i still have firefox block all unwanted popups like bfore?
Yes, Firefox blocks popup windows with no need to resort to Adblock. However many websites are coded to open new windows that the user may not have been expecting when the user clicks an item in the page. By the way this technique is tacit acknowledgement that they can't force Firefox to open a new window at will, though they can get nearly what they want if they wait for the user to trigger the "popup." Firefox does not consider these windows to be unwanted popups, because they're opened in direct response to a user action. So to control them in Firefox you'll have to bring some kind of supplemental mechanism to bear.

That's what Adblock can do. And yes, you can accomplish exactly the same thing without using Adblock, though that extension is probably the most convenient available method. That point was made clearly, earlier in this very thread.

Post by Guest »

scissor wrote:
Yes, Firefox blocks popup windows with no need to resort to Adblock. However many websites are coded to open new windows that the user may not have been expecting when the user clicks an item in the page. By the way this technique is tacit acknowledgement that they can't force Firefox to open a new window at will, though they can get nearly what they want if they wait for the user to trigger the "popup." Firefox does not consider these windows to be unwanted popups, because they're opened in direct response to a user action. So to control them in Firefox you'll have to bring some kind of supplemental mechanism to bear

Most of the pop-ups that I have now been getting with 1.0.4 have nothing at all to do with clicking anything on the page. I am now getting loads and loads of popups when browsing with firefox and obviously I am not the only one with the tons of complaints now. Firefox needs to step up or else I will be switching back to IE when 7 is released (even beta)
scissor

Post by scissor »

Anonymous wrote:Most of the pop-ups that I have now been getting with 1.0.4 have nothing at all to do with clicking anything on the page. I am now getting loads and loads of popups when browsing with firefox.
You probably have adware. Regardless, this is a FAQ thread. If you need individualized help diagnosing your condition, please have the courtesy to take it to a new thread.
kosmicfoo

Post by kosmicfoo »

pop up said to go to www.mypctuneup.com/Aurora
shakey_snake

Post by shakey_snake »

This has been a nice reference thread so far, but I feel inclined to mention the No Script extension.

It might be a bit more unweildy than other solutions, but can be damn effective.