Error: Program must close to allow a previous installation..

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
eismcsquare

Post by eismcsquare »

Try locating the file in a folder named "Firefox" (typically, C:\Program Files\Firefox).

Post by Guest »

One the dat file is removed, Firefox will launch, but it isn't upgraded. Other than re-installing FireFox, is there a way to upgrade?

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:One the dat file is removed, Firefox will launch, but it isn't upgraded. Other than re-installing FireFox, is there a way to upgrade?
Same problem here, and now I can't even download the 1.0.4 patch. Bug?
twopence

Post by twopence »

I too have the same problem with the upgrade. Deleting xpicleanup.exe made no difference. What now?
surfgeezer

Post by surfgeezer »

When downloading build 1.0.4 critical update, I received the error message stated at the top of the page. I was able to reinstall the 1.0.3 version again and run Firefox normally. I then deleted the 1.0.4 folder. As I tried to download the critical update again, I got a blank update dialog box, and the program hung up. After restarting Windows XP Home SP2, everything seemed to work normally. I was able this morning to get what seemed a normal download going, except I got an error message to the effect that there was a problem in downloading all of the updates due to corrupt file, etc. After restarting Firefox, everything seems to work normally, the build reads 1.0.4 and the Critical Update button found no more updates to install. (I also went into the Mozilla Firefox folder and deleted the xpicleanup.exe application just for kicks.) -You think I'm ok on updates or not? I did this twice and got the same result before continuing with the installation dialog box to see what would happen.
How2

Post by How2 »

Anonymous wrote:i have the same problem, only in my mozilla folder, there is no such file as xpicleanup.dat

i still get the error message posted above.

any suggestions?
Thanks, Removing 'xpicleanup.exe' file fixed on PC, however the other does not respond nor does it give any message. Can you direct me to likely solution. thanks How2

Re: Error: Program must close to allow a previous installati

Post by Guest »

Djmfalk wrote:I had previously downloaded and installed Firefox 1.0.1. Tonight, I downloaded Firefox 1.0.2 and did not let it restart my computer because I was in the process of downloading a 65 MB file (Open Office). I have not tried to install Open Office yet.

Now when I try to open Firefox, I get the following error message:

"The program must close to allow a previous installation attempt to complete. Please restart."

I have rebooted several times, but still get the error message.

I am running Windows XP.

Thanks for your help with this.

Dan

Post by Guest »

how do i restart firefox
BillyBob28

Firefox.exe is running, Please close before installation ...

Post by BillyBob28 »

Im running windows 2003 server standard and am having problem installing firefox. It throws up the error firefox.exe is already running, go to task manager to close it before installation will complete. I am very knowledgable on computers so i know that mozilla has never been installed on this computer and that "firefox.exe" is not running.
peachgeek

Post by peachgeek »

Thanks, Swami -- I'm back up and running, too !

Post by Guest »

Ever since I tried to uninstall some extensions and updated to the newest version of Firefox, everytime i open the browser I get an Alert message: "www.google.com could not be found. Please check the name and try again." I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling, deleting the xpicleanup exe file, and even following another posters advice on removing the profile folder...All of this, to no avail; my firefox just wont work. Can someone pleased shed some light; going back to IE after Firefox is like going back to a pager after having had a celll phone! vanessa
RedNovember

Post by RedNovember »

Anonymous wrote:how do i restart firefox

Close any open Firefox windows you have. Then Ctrl+Alt+Delete. Select any running firefox.exe processes and end them.
need help

i cant use mozilla unless i am connected to the internet thr

Post by need help »

i cant use mozilla unless i am connected to the internet threw aol i have dail up do i need any other internet connection when i type a website it says it cannot be found how do i fix this when i am connected to the internet threw aol usig dailup it works fine why
need help

Post by need help »

i cant use mozilla unless i am connected to the internet threw aol i have dail up do i need any other internet connection when i type a website it says it cannot be found how do i fix this when i am connected to the internet threw aol usig dailup it works fine why
a need help

Post by a need help »