Error: Program must close to allow a previous installation..

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
guess-t

Post by guess-t »

Cheers Swami!
sharonosheajames

Post by sharonosheajames »

I am trying to install Firefox and so far so good but when I try to open the program I get an error msg saying: "start.mozilla.org / www.mozill.org could not be found. Please check the name and try again." Same with some of the msn files... What can I do? I want to replace my msn browser and get rid of roadRunner as well. :(

Sharon
Dramlin

Post by Dramlin »

This fixed one problem, but even though Norton is configured to allow Firefox access it will only work if I turn off Norton? Any ideas???

Post by Guest »

I faced the same problem. Thanks to Swami and Djmfalk it works again. A very good hint! :-)

Post by Guest »

Yet another thank you note. Had my windows crash in the middle of 1.0.6 upgrade, and was stuck with this error.

Thanks for the solution.

Post by Guest »

I had the same error message about previous installation so Mozilla would not fire up. Because I had had a previous installation that was "misplaced" when I reinstalled operating system, I might have had an unusual situation, but when I searched my computer for file name "xpicleanup" I got 3 different files. Rather than deleting them indiscriminately, after trying to open the program, I successively renamed each file. After renaming all of them, the program started. YMMV, but it worked for me!

Thank you for your help.

Bruce
Bob1961

Post by Bob1961 »

Worked for me too! Thanks a bunch!!

Post by Guest »

I distribute ff over a Novell network and suddenly the fox wouldn't start. But u saved my day mate, thx :)
tina ballerina

Post by tina ballerina »

Swami wrote:Go to the program installation folder 'C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox' and delete the 'xpicleanup.exe' file. Make sure Firefox is not running when you do this. You should be able to start Firefox after that.

I have the same problem, have just deleted files and still not working - any ideas please?
kash00

Post by kash00 »

I ve got the same error message, and by googling it I got to this forum, and resolved the matter in no time. Thanks for help!
Fishjd

Post by Fishjd »

Thanks It worked for me!

FishJD
LeRoi

Post by LeRoi »

tina ballerina wrote:I have the same problem, have just deleted files and still not working - any ideas please?

Djmfalk wrote:The file was called 'xpicleanup.dat', but when I deleted it, Firefox started.
Geral Corasjo

Post by Geral Corasjo »

Phew, fixed my problem too.. Just came down with it. Thanks for the help, i was afraid I'd have to restart.
BlairHippo

Post by BlairHippo »

Swami, I was having the same problem, nuking 'xpicleanup.dat' cleared it right up. Thanks!
ThankYouSwami

Post by ThankYouSwami »

Thanks, I had the same problem and did what you said - works fine now. Cheers!