Error: Program must close to allow a previous installation..

User Help for Mozilla Firefox

Post by Guest »

I have the same problem, mozilla wont start even though i deleted the xpclean file.

Sometimes it works when I kill all the pending firefox process running.. it is kind of weird, sometimes it seems mozilla will start but nothing happens and it always shows the same amount of KB in the process manager 5024kb. weird weird weird..

Any suggestions?
LeRoi

Post by LeRoi »

Does the same problem occur if you start Firefox via the Mozilla Firefox (Safe Mode) shortcut in your programs menu?

If so, create a new Firefox profile with a unique name and see if the problem persists in it. Don't yet delete your current profile.

Close Firefox and end tasks of any Firefox processes still running via Ctrl+Shift+Esc > processes tab or ctrl+alt+del if using Win9X.

Create a new profile (try -profilemanager if -p doesn't work)

Don't choose a profile folder, let the profile manager put the new profile in the default location!

Restoring your browsing data
ok

Post by ok »

merci a vous !!!!!!!!!!!!
ca marche et javais le meme probleme, et je suis arrivé à ce lien grace à wikipedia

merci a tous !!

vive le monde libre !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Holger1974

upgrade problems

Post by Holger1974 »

Hi everyone,

I have a prob with upgrading since 2 months or so.
I already deleted this xpicleanup but it still doesn't work.
It's always just the same, just telling me the updates will be downloaded and installed, but I never get any confirmation and nothing looks like anything is getting downloaded, also my meter doesn't show an download activities, it's really strange to me.

Should I maybe uninstall Firefox and then simply install the latest version maybe?

Ok, I'm sure, some knows what I should do best :-)

Holger
LeRoi

Re: upgrade problems

Post by LeRoi »

Holger1974 wrote:Should I maybe uninstall Firefox and then simply install the latest version maybe?

Yes.

Firefox 1.0.6-Installation Guidelines & Common Questions - MozillaZine Forums

Post by Guest »

Thanks a lot, gonna do that right now!

Merci beaucoup M. LeRoi :-)

Holger
Holger1974

Post by Holger1974 »

Thanks again, now I have to wait for the next update and see if it works correctly now.

All the best

Holger from Munich
LeRoi

Post by LeRoi »

You're welcome.

I have only used the internal update mechanism once, to upgrade from 1.0PR to 1.0 final, it went flawlessly, but I have never really liked using any internal update mechanisms of any programs to upgrade to newer versions. I prefer the clean install approach (I reboot after uninstall and reinstall) and have never had a problem.
Lankey

Post by Lankey »

I just installed Firefox 1.0.6 and now everytime I try to open the browser a message comes ups saying, "Error launching browser window:no XBL binding for browser" I have tried installing the browser again but nothing works can someone please help!!

Post by Guest »

Are you using Tab Browser Extension? If you upgraded Firefox from a previous version, with that extension or another one installed that isn't compatible, that is probably the problem.
Open your Profile folder, find the chrome folder and rename the chrome folder to something else, like chrome-backup.
Close the profile folder and try to launch Firefox again.

Post by Guest »

Thanks to Swami!!

Post by Guest »

I have a problem where all my settings have disappeared. When I downloaded 1.0.7, the installation process crashes with an error "Error-en-US Language pack-208 Invalid arguments". Setup just hangs (still running).

Any advice anyone?
brienp

Post by brienp »

I have this problem and I do have the file xpicleanup.dat but not xpicleanup.exe, which is what this thread said to delete. Deleting the dat file had no effect. Any other suggestions? I tried to uninstall and reinstall but then I get a meassae saying the unistall log file cannot be found

Post by Guest »

again, i have the same problem, but have already deleted the xpicleanup file, but still nothing happens when i try to start firefox?

-firefox.exe appears to be running as a process in windows task manager, but not as a program......i have tried terminating it but still to no avail...
LeRoi

Post by LeRoi »

Does the same problem occur if you start Firefox via the Mozilla Firefox (Safe Mode) shortcut in your programs menu?

If not, disable one extension at a time through tools > extensions until you isolate the troublemaker(s).

If so, create a new Firefox profile with a unique name and see if the problem persists in it. Don't yet delete your current profile.

Close Firefox and end tasks of any Firefox processes still running via Ctrl+Shift+Esc > processes tab or ctrl+alt+del if using Win9X.

Create a new profile

Don't choose a profile folder, let the profile manager put the new profile in the default location!

Restoring your browsing data