Error: Program must close to allow a previous installation..

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
gwendibley

Post by gwendibley »

Hi, I've tried deleting the .dat file but it says it is in use and cannot be deleted, I haven't got Firefox open (because opening it is the original problem!) and don't know what else could be stopping me deleting it, any ideas?

-x- Nic
raklein

Firefox won't load

Post by raklein »

I have 1.0.7 installed together with some extensions (adblock and tabbed browser prefrences). On one machine running XP professional, I lose Firefox from time to time. It simply won't open. I've deleted the cleanup file, reinstalled the program (it works a time or two after reinstallation), and continue to have the same problem. I've tried running the program from the run command, from the icon tray, and from a shortcut that points to the executable. When I reinstall, all my bookmarks are there. I have not done a complete deinstall reinstall yet but I may have to if nothing else works. Any suggestions?

The program worked fine until about a week ago and works perfectly on my office machine and my laptop. The only program recently installed (and it worked fine after that installation for a few days) was ListenRhapsody, Real's music download program.

Thanks for any help.

Bob
mosorno5

Post by mosorno5 »

Swami, Thank you for yoru help I was having the same problem and I just fix it!

Post by Guest »

The resolution is my problem! Great!
Micscience

Post by Micscience »

My firefox browser will not start. Yes I have checked under task manager and ended the process,looked into mozilla folder for (xpcleanup.dat) only found (xpcleanup.exe) anyhow I deleted it and still nuthing happened. Also I restarted my PC several times and nuthing happened my firefox just will not start.

Post by Guest »

Adding more info, this problem occured when I installed firefox 1.5 without uninstalling my previous installation I think.
:(

Post by :( »

I have the exact same problem as Micscience.

Post by Guest »

Can't help you, but I think my problem has to do with some other program. Firefox has stopped opening. It's running, but not opening. I have uninstalled and reinstalled it many times. Restarting all the while to no avail. I think something else is conflicting with it. Any one else have this heppen?

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:Ever since I tried to uninstall some extensions and updated to the newest version of Firefox, everytime i open the browser I get an Alert message: "www.google.com could not be found. Please check the name and try again." I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling, deleting the xpicleanup exe file, and even following another posters advice on removing the profile folder...All of this, to no avail; my firefox just wont work. Can someone pleased shed some light; going back to IE after Firefox is like going back to a pager after having had a celll phone! vanessa

This is my problem also, I can't go back to IE and this is killing my homwork, I've deleted the file also. Help would be strongly appreciated, as my next step is going to be systematicaly removing programs from my computer until it decides to work, or my computer dies. ;_;
smithc1955

The program must close to allow a previous installation

Post by smithc1955 »

I get the same message that "The program must close to allow a previous installation attempt to complete, please restart." THe only time that I get it is when I am trying to open a link on an e-mail from outlook express. Can anyone help me with this problem.
Thanks

Post by Guest »

I am having same problem also. I downloaded udates for 1.07 and firefox hasn't opened since even after uninstalling andreinastalling several times. I've tried previous things mentioned to no avail . Has firefox finally died? Is it time to switch the free based opera?
widowmak

Post by widowmak »

I am having same problem also. I downloaded udates for 1.07 and firefox hasn't opened since even after uninstalling andreinastalling several times. I've tried previous things mentioned to no avail . Has firefox finally died? Is it time to switch the free based opera?
Kaya

Post by Kaya »

Thanks for the the advice, mozilla is up and going again after deleting xpicleanup.exe . Great job. Thanks a mill!

Post by Guest »

I'm facing the same problem as smithc1955:
Firefox works fine and starts without problems, but when I try to open a link out of another application (such as ICQ, Thunderbird or a .txt File, it gives the "must allow a previous installation attempt to complete. Please restart" message. However, if I have Firefox running and click such links it works fine.

Any idea on that?

Post by Guest »

Deleted the file, Still get no browser start. Now I get no error message, though. I need this resolved. How about a complete removal of Firefox and a re-install?