Flash and Firefox 10

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
dzillag

Re: Flash and Firefox 10

Post by dzillag »

noamparn wrote:
Just sayin wrote:Setting dom.ipc.plugins.enabled back to true didn't really fix my problem.

The way I fixed my problem was by setting dom.ipc.plugins.enabled.npswf32.dll in about:config to true.

Thanks, that seemed to fix it for me, too (so far, at least).

I'm having the same problem.

Minimizing the FF window, then maximizing it, fixes the issue.

But still, this is a goofy error. And irritating.

And in about.config, I have dom.ipc.plugins.enabled set to true (default), but there is nothing called dom.ipc.plugins.enabled.npswf32.dll
dzillag

Post by dzillag »

By the way, as someone else might have suggested upthread, a site with java in it will trigger this too.
noamparn

Post by noamparn »

dzillag wrote:Minimizing the FF window, then maximizing it, fixes the issue.

But still, this is a goofy error. And irritating.

And in about.config, I have dom.ipc.plugins.enabled set to true (default), but there is nothing called dom.ipc.plugins.enabled.npswf32.dll

For me, I was able to remporarily restore the blinking cursor by clicking on the Start button (or Alt-tabbing to another app), and then clicking right back on Firefox (or Alt-tabbing back).
After changing that line, I wasn't able to reproduce the problem yet.

If the line isn't there, you might try adding it, and seeing if it makes a difference.
Mcd73165

Post by Mcd73165 »

Just sayin wrote:Setting dom.ipc.plugins.enabled back to true didn't really fix my problem.

The way I fixed my problem was by setting dom.ipc.plugins.enabled.npswf32.dll in about:config to true.

That worked for me also. Finally figured it out this morning. I usually keep the plugin container disabled (dom.ipc.plugins.enabled.xxx set to false) but setting the dom.ipc.plugins.enabled.xxx back to true fixed this problem although it appears that the one for flash (dom.ipc.plugins.enabled.npswf32.dll) is what caused the problem.
dzillag

Post by dzillag »

noamparn wrote:
For me, I was able to remporarily restore the blinking cursor by clicking on the Start button (or Alt-tabbing to another app), and then clicking right back on Firefox (or Alt-tabbing back).
After changing that line, I wasn't able to reproduce the problem yet.

If the line isn't there, you might try adding it, and seeing if it makes a difference.

Alt-tabbing does fix it for me, until the next time I have a java or flash event.

Manually added dom.ipc.plugins.enabled.npswf32.dll (true) to my about:config, quit firefox, restarted firefox - but this did NOT fit the issue.
Just sayin

Post by Just sayin »

dzillag wrote:Alt-tabbing does fix it for me, until the next time I have a java or flash event.

Manually added dom.ipc.plugins.enabled.npswf32.dll (true) to my about:config, quit firefox, restarted firefox - but this did NOT fit the issue.

What are you running Firefox 10 on, Windows 32-bit or 64-bit, Mac OS X, or Linux?

Do you have the flash plugin installed? What version is it? You can check in your browser by entering about:plugins in the address bar. I'm running Windows Vista 32-bit and my flash plugin is located at C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash\NPSWF32.dll.
Version 11.1.102.55

As far as the Java problem is concerned, I didn't know I still had a problem with Java until I went to http://chir.ag/stuff/sand/ and encountered the same problem I had with my flash. Except this time, not only did I lose my cursor, I also lost the ability to type anything into the address and search bar.

The way I corrected the problem was by going to about:config and setting dom.ipc.plugins.java.enabled to true and adding a new boolean with the Perference Name dom.ipc.plugins.enabled.npjp2.dll and setting the value to true.

I got npjp2.dll by looking in about:plugins for the .dll under Java Platform SE 6 U30.
dzillag

Post by dzillag »

Just sayin wrote:What are you running Firefox 10 on, Windows 32-bit or 64-bit, Mac OS X, or Linux?

Do you have the flash plugin installed? What version is it? You can check in your browser by entering about:plugins in the address bar. I'm running Windows Vista 32-bit and my flash plugin is located at C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash\NPSWF32.dll.
Version 11.1.102.55

As far as the Java problem is concerned, I didn't know I still had a problem with Java until I went to http://chir.ag/stuff/sand/ and encountered the same problem I had with my flash. Except this time, not only did I lose my cursor, I also lost the ability to type anything into the address and search bar.

The way I corrected the problem was by going to about:config and setting dom.ipc.plugins.java.enabled to true and adding a new boolean with the Perference Name dom.ipc.plugins.enabled.npjp2.dll and setting the value to true.

I got npjp2.dll by looking in about:plugins for the .dll under Java Platform SE 6 U30.

I entered this from my office, Win32 XP. I'm now at home, 64-bit Win7. 11.1.102.55 for my flash plugin from Win7 at home. Probably same thing at office.

At home, Windows 7 64-bit, I had the same problem as my original entry at the start of thread. Your suggestion did fix my problem at home. Thanks for the tip.

I'm still disappointed that Mozilla would release a major new version (in number anyway) that has a problem that should have come out in the first 36 hours of pre-release testing.
Ag_76

Post by Ag_76 »

I was about to restore an image to my computer with Firefox 9 in an attempt to get rid of this problem, until I found this thread. My thanks to Just sayin for the solution (so far).
Jacinto

Post by Jacinto »

Changing the about:config dom worked for me too, at least the problem has not repeated since I changed it.
Drew99GT

Post by Drew99GT »

I'm having the exact same problem with FF10 and Flash but not Java. When I view a Youtube video, the menu bar becomes blurry and I can no longer input text anywhere in the browser. Simply resizing the window fixes it until any new Flash content plays.
acidosolforico

Post by acidosolforico »

noamparn wrote:
DanRaisch wrote:noamparn, because you are using a pre-release version you should post about this in the Builds forum. To do that you have to be registered on the forums.

I was having the same thing on Release builds on my wife's PC, as well.

I have some more detail on the problem, and perhaps someone else can test it and see if they can re-create it on a Release build, too:

1) Open Firefox, and at least one or two other tabs (google or Yahoo are fine on those tabs)
2) Open Youtube, and start playing a video
3) pause the video
4) switch to another tab, and then click in the Search box at the top or the Address Bar. The blinking cursor should be missing now.
5) Switch to any other application (pressing the Start button is enough, even), then switch back to Firefox.
6) Click in the Search Box or the Address Bar again. The cursor should be back now.

If someone else can test this in a release version of Firefox, I would appreciate it.
Thanks.

Firefox 10, Windows Seven 64 bit: exact the same behaviour for me...
dzillag

Post by dzillag »

There have been a lot of questions and responses in the thread, so distilling it down to the solutions that people are looking for:

• Type about:config in the FF location bar
  • Type dom.ipc.plugins in the filter
  • Find dom.ipc.plugins.enabled and set it to true
  • Find dom.ipc.plugins.java.enabled and set it to true
  • Right click in some whitespace and pick "new" from the context menu that comes up
  • Pick boolean from the choices
  • Name the new property dom.ipc.plugins.enabled.npswf32.dll
  • Set the new property to true
  • Repeat the above four steps, but for dom.ipc.plugins.enabled.npjp2.dll
  • Quit Firefox
When you restart FF, both Flash-enabled pages (like youtube) and java-enabled pages should work, without having an adverse effect on Firefox.

If the above is too daunting, one can always work around the problem by minimizing the FF window, then opening it back up. But the problem will repeat every time you launch something with Flash or Java.
CMonkeyBloke

Post by CMonkeyBloke »

dzillag wrote:There have been a lot of questions and responses in the thread, so distilling it down to the solutions that people are looking for:

• Right click in some whitespace and pick "new" from the context menu that comes up
  • Quit Firefox
When you restart FF, both Flash-enabled pages (like youtube) and java-enabled pages should work, without having an adverse effect on Firefox.

If the above is too daunting, one can always work around the problem by minimizing the FF window, then opening it back up. But the problem will repeat every time you launch something with Flash or Java.

Thanks for the synopsis dzillag, I'm not sure whether I'm brave enough to try the above fix yet, or whether it's best to wait for the inevitable upgrade/patch. SeaMonkey 2.7 is suffering from the same bug.

Has anyone heard anything about an impending upgrade fix?
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

dzillag wrote:There have been a lot of questions and responses in the thread, so distilling it down to the solutions that people are looking for:

• Quit Firefox

dom.ipc.plugins.enabled already includes Flash (npswf32.dll) and dom.ipc.plugins.java.enabled already includes the Java npjp2.dll
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Tarq57

Post by Tarq57 »

Frank Lion wrote:

• Quit Firefox

dom.ipc.plugins.enabled already includes Flash (npswf32.dll) and dom.ipc.plugins.java.enabled already includes the Java npjp2.dll

Does that mean the the new booleans suggested in the post above should be deleted? I've followed the advice in that post and it appears to have eliminated my problems.
Windows XP SP3 Home, kept updated. AMD3500+, 2G RAM. Secunia PSI, Avast 7.0.1426, Windows Firewall (DEP on), AutorunEater.
Firefox 11.0, Thunderbird 11.0