MozillaZine

How to get Firefox to save files with unknown mime type?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
klischee

Post Posted February 17th, 2012, 7:36 pm

Hi

I have often to download files Firefox does not know. Then, instead of automatically saving it to the specified download folder, a dialog box appears asking me what to do. I don't have the choice to set the checkmark that Firefox remembers the action.

Is there a way to tell Firefox, it shouldn't care about files, extensions, mime types or whatever, and just download everything?

[-o<

JayhawksRock

Post Posted February 17th, 2012, 8:18 pm

First check Tools > Options > General > Downloads and make sure you have a Save files to ...location selected and saved by restarting firefox. I dont believe Firefox prompts by file type for downloading like it does for content selection like pdfs on the Content panel. At least it doesn't for me. If you have any download related addons or Security type toolbars or plugins they could be causing your problem.
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln

klischee

Post Posted February 17th, 2012, 8:34 pm

Thanks. But it does. If Firefox receives an unknown mime type it does not save the file automatically. It does not depend on the file extension, it's the mime type.

dfoulkes

Post Posted February 17th, 2012, 8:36 pm

You are also using a bleeding edge version of Firefox...
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!

klischee

Post Posted February 17th, 2012, 10:03 pm

Firefox 10 acts the same...
No mime type, no automatic download. Try it out...

JayhawksRock

Post Posted February 17th, 2012, 10:21 pm

Maybe this will help in adding the file types to content. http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/Opt ... panel?as=u

I just havn't run into your problem myself. I just right click and save as.
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln

klischee

Post Posted February 17th, 2012, 10:57 pm

As you can see in your link, there's no option to set what to do with unknown filetypes. This can be if the server does not send it correctly or if the file is unknown, I don't know how it works exactly. Right click save as is completely wrong as I want to save files automatically (= without save as dialogue)... Why does nobody listen to what I write :|

Again:
Unknown mime type = Firefox opens up an save-dialogue and asks what to do
I want: If unknown mime type, just save, don't ask.

flaneurb

Post Posted February 17th, 2012, 11:19 pm

Do you have a content type called just "file"? What happens if you set that to save?

Post Posted October 9th, 2012, 2:46 am

Setting browser.helperApps.neverAsk.saveToDisk to application/octet-stream should do the trick.

I know its been ages since you asked, but this entry turns up quite high in google for relevant queries so I'll answer it in case anyone else is looking for a way to do this

Return to Firefox Support