Autocomplete

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
James

Re: Autocomplete

Post by James »

shnitzel wrote:Does Mozilla read these forums?

Not this one. http://www.mozillazine.org/about/

Post by Guest »

OK....pointless complaining maybe #-o
Anyway..it appears that the theme I was using just updated. I also see that you pointed that out in another forum post. I was using BlackFox Blue...or one of those in the Lavafox family...anyway...looking for a new theme now.
Thanx for reading
llywelynbren

Post by llywelynbren »

As I understand it, the problem is not down to Firefox but Google. IE produces exactly the same results. That the Greasemonkey script fix creates further problems is also not a Firefox issue per se. Best solution I have found: use Bing. Remembers all your searches just fine, and doesn't autosuggest.
Gruuvy

Post by Gruuvy »

I hate this. I installed Greasemonkey and got auto complete back only to have it disappear again within a few days. Jeezus Google, what is your problem? You want us all to think like your database? I'm boycotting Google until this high-handed approach is reconsidered. Suggest U Do 2. Hello Bing. Where's the smiley for "holding nose?"
Gingerbread Man

Post by Gingerbread Man »

I don't use Google, so maybe I'm missing something obvious here, but why do you all insist on using the Google web page to search with Google? If you want previously-typed search entries, you can either use the Google search box on the default Firefox homepage at about:home, the search bar, or the location bar (with an extension like Foobar).

Startpage provides search results from Google, though some have noted it doesn't always provide the same results.

If userscripts.org/scripts/show/7347 is giving you trouble, you may want to try a simpler user script like userscripts.org/scripts/show/130513. Be sure to disable the other one before testing and reload the page afterwards.

If you want to discuss Google Search, the forum is at
groups.google.com/a/googleproductforums.com/forum/#!forum/websearch
Someone there may have a different workaround.
faustus69

Post by faustus69 »

Hi, I've found another script (THE SCRIPT hehe):
http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/129837

No Back annoyances, no focus lost, works perfect!
Mr_Wolf

Post by Mr_Wolf »

faustus69 wrote:Hi, I've found another script (THE SCRIPT hehe):
http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/129837

No Back annoyances, no focus lost, works perfect!

Many thanks! So, far, it works better, no problems!

EDIT
First little issue:
with Google Play Store:
https://play.google.com/store
the search button overlaps to the search box.
Solved adding https://play.google.com/* to the exclusions in the option script.
Mr_Wolf

Post by Mr_Wolf »

Mmmm... I've just noticed another issue: if, to perform a search, I just click on "search with google", it doesn't work. I didn't notice earlier, because usually I just press enter to search.
Last edited by Mr_Wolf on August 7th, 2012, 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike109

Post by Mike109 »

My autocomplete stopped working again. I noticed this shortly after updating to Firefox 17.0. I don't recall if it stopped immediately after the update because I didn't use Google for a few days. I am also using Greasemonkey 1.5.

Anyone else having a problem?
Should I try going back to FF 15 or 16?
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

Before you do, as a test see if the same thing happen if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode?
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
Mike109

Post by Mike109 »

I just tried Mozilla Safe Mode but autocomplete still does not work. Any other suggestions?
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

The default behavior for Location Bar autocomplete in Firefox 3.0 and above is to display all results from both bookmarked items and your browsing history of visited pages.

Are you deleting history cache somehow ? In Tools > Options > Privacy History section how do you have the dropdown set and which item below that are checked to remember?
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
Mike109

Post by Mike109 »

I updated to FF 17.0 on 11-21-2012, so that could be when the problem started.

My wife uses another profile with the regular Google & just informed me that Google no longer appears in the address bar drop down list. She has to type it in every time during the last few days because it’s no longer there, & I verified this.

I just did a system restore to 11-22-2012 but that made no difference.

Then restored to 11-09-2012 which took me back to FF14 and before a bunch of Windows updates that took place on 11-14-2012. Now the auto complete works again. I don’t think it’s the Windows updates since that was over a week ago. So it has to be FF17 (or even 16 or 15).

I just saw for reply. Here’s what selected, at least in FF14 which I just restored.
FF will: Use custom settings for history
Remember my browsing & download history
Remember search & form history
Accept cookies from site

Updating has never changed the auto complete behavior before. Is it possible FF17 changed it now?
For starters how do I update to FF16? Just download it & install over FF14?

I’ve been playing with the other profile but so far Google is not appearing in the address bar drop down list. Normally the more I’ve used a website it works it way to the top of that list. But Google is just not appearing anywhere on it. How do I get back?
Mike109

Post by Mike109 »

I installed FF 16.0.2 and the autocomplete works just like it used to.

Regarding the other profile's issue I got that corrected. Turns out you have to delete one of the 12 listed addresses in order to make room for a new one. But I have no idea what changed it to begin with.

Now Firefox has to fix what they broke with vers 17.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

You've apparently been having problems going back to Firefox 11 and you doing all of those restore points makes it impossible for us to know what's causing what. As far as your problem of not having enough results in the urlbar autocomplete dropdown, you can tweak that by changing this setting, the default is 12:

browser.urlbar.maxRichResults

You mentioned you use GreaseMonkey... a rogue script designed for some ancient version of Firefox which is no longer compatible with new versions could easily be the source of your problems. It's also possible that some extension (or userScript) is causing your places.sqlite database to become corrupted. Severe crashes or forced crashing by closing Windows while leaving Firefox running can also cause this.

Creating a whole new profile and transferring your data is probably the only way to isolate/fix the problem.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/