MozillaZine

XUL Runner error Again and Again

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Steve Bishop

Post Posted April 25th, 2012, 5:30 pm

Hi,
you are all probably sick and tired of this complaint. I have seen so may people with the same error.
XUL Runner - error platform version 9.0.1 is not compatible with minver >=12.0 maxver <=12.0
I have done what countless others have by downloading the new ver 12.0 from the Mozilla web site, to my desktop, i then uninstall firefox from the Windows unistaller page. I then remove the firefox folder from C drive, and then reinstall a clean version of Firefox.
It installs with problems but still has the XUL runner error. the only way I get arround this is by starting Firefox as Administartor, and before any one asks yes My profile is set up as Administrator. This has just occurred when I got the update for 12.0
I am running Windows 7 Ultimate SP1.
here is the bug report from Firefox.

Application Basics

Name
Firefox

Version

User Agent
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:12.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/12.0

Profile Directory

Show Folder

Enabled Plugins

about:plugins

Build Configuration

about:buildconfig

Crash Reports

about:crashes

Memory Use

about:memory

Extensions

Name

Version

Enabled

ID

Adblock Plus
true
{d10d0bf8-f5b5-c8b4-a8b2-2b9879e08c5d}

British English Dictionary
true
en-GB@dictionaries.addons.mozilla.org

Personas
true
personas@christopher.beard

ForceField Toolbar
false
{FFB96CC1-7EB3-449D-B827-DB661701C6BB}

Important Modified Preferences

Name

Value

accessibility.typeaheadfind
true

browser.cache.disk.capacity

browser.cache.disk.smart_size.first_run
false

browser.cache.disk.smart_size_cached_value

browser.places.smartBookmarksVersion

browser.startup.homepage
http://www.virginmedia.com/

browser.startup.homepage_override.buildID

browser.startup.homepage_override.mstone
rv:12.0

browser.tabs.onTop
false

extensions.lastAppVersion

network.cookie.prefsMigrated
true

places.database.lastMaintenance

places.history.expiration.transient_current_max_pages

places.history.expiration.transient_optimal_database_size

privacy.cpd.cookies
false

privacy.cpd.downloads
false

privacy.cpd.formdata
false

privacy.cpd.history
false

privacy.cpd.sessions
false

privacy.donottrackheader.enabled
true

privacy.sanitize.migrateFx3Prefs
true

privacy.sanitize.timeSpan

security.OCSP.disable_button.managecrl
false

security.disable_button.openCertManager
false

security.disable_button.openDeviceManager
false

security.warn_viewing_mixed
false

Graphics

Adapter Description
NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT

Vendor ID
0x10de

Device ID
0x0622

Adapter RAM

Adapter Drivers
nvd3dum nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um

Driver Version

Driver Date
2-9-2012

Direct2D Enabled
true

DirectWrite Enabled
true (6.1.7601.17776)

ClearType Parameters
ClearType parameters not found

WebGL Renderer
Google Inc. -- ANGLE (NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT) -- OpenGL ES 2.0 (ANGLE 1.0.0.963)

GPU Accelerated Windows
1/1 Direct3D 10

AzureBackend
direct2d

I hope this helps, and I still am getting the error.

Thanks in advance
Steve Bishop

edocu

Post Posted April 25th, 2012, 6:36 pm

You may have already seen this, but it suggests that if removing the firefox folder was not enough that you may have a problem with a security program like Zone Alarm: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser_will_ ... _an_update
What are your firewalls and antivirus and sandbox program?

With some software, installing as administrator makes it work better. With some, it screws it up. Right clicking the installer "run as administrator" I mean. Not sure which is the better method, to do it or not do it with the Firefox installer, but you could try the opposite of what you have done.

Steve Bishop

Post Posted April 26th, 2012, 2:10 am

Anonymous wrote:You may have already seen this, but it suggests that if removing the firefox folder was not enough that you may have a problem with a security program like Zone Alarm: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser_will_not_start_up#XULRunner_error_after_an_update">http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser_will_ ... _an_update</a><!-- m -->
What are your firewalls and antivirus and sandbox program?

With some software, installing as administrator makes it work better. With some, it screws it up. Right clicking the installer "run as administrator" I mean. Not sure which is the better method, to do it or not do it with the Firefox installer, but you could try the opposite of what you have done.
Thank you for your quick response,, I had in fact been trying to find the cause of this error and went back to basics by switching all programs off that were running to see if that made a difference.
It did. By the way I have Zone Alarm Extreme running.. So something either with Zone Alarm itself, or within it. I finally tracked it down to the Browser Virtualization being in the on position, by turning it off all works well, I know the Zone Alarm feature is supposed to protect you from rouge web sites, but it interferes with the start up of Firefox somehow.
Next question is this something Firefox can overcome, coding wise, or is it a Zone Alarm problem as I would like to use The Virtualization Feature., bet that a question I should ask Zone Alarm, but you get into the realms of not our problem its there's and visa versa, any thoughts.

Steve Bishop

edocu

Post Posted April 26th, 2012, 9:53 am

This http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser_will_ ... ld_enabled - it also discusses Zone Alarm Extreme a bit - says to clear the Zone Alarm virtual cache and turn off Enable Virtualization. Then uninstall and delete Firefox program directory, reinstall. Then try enabling virtualization again.

If that does not work or you do not want to try it without further confirmation, the Zone Alarm forum sounds like a good idea.

Steve Bishop

Post Posted April 26th, 2012, 2:24 pm

Thanks I will

Return to Firefox Support