Can't Log On to Internet Banking Service

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
hellene

Post by hellene »

Sharom wrote:Me again. Just tried the Firewall Config as above....made no difference

Sharom, that's not your problem. That's the other guy's problem. Your problem would appear to be that at some point the bank site has run an executable file which has placed something in your IE browser. It would be very difficult (not impossible but probably very technical) to replicate this in FX.

You should contact the bank and advise them that their site will not work with your browser, and what do they propose to do about it.
I don't know how to do any of this stuff, I just hire the guys that do
Have you considered reading the HELP folder. Right there on your menu bar.
Image by Juniper http onic.net/~daylight/ - Xmas special by Ol Grumpy
Roen

Post by Roen »

I tried visiting that site and it asked me if it was ok to install some kind of applet signed by veritrust. Is this missing?
Clear Skies
meverhagen

Post by meverhagen »

My rabobank telebankieren isn't working either.

I can log in and see my saldo, but then it fails to load the rest of the page.
I think it's a javascript problem since the javascipt console is giving all sort of strange errors.

I think the whole thing of banking sites using client side javascipt may be considered as a bug.

... I can see the javascipt code the web site is using. (It is possible to see all client side things. Client means: The computer you are using).
... Using javascript forces the banking site programmers to use double code. In fact different code for every browser. It's hard to maintain.
... It seems to be possible to run ie from wine. (wine is a windows emulator for linux). But I do not think that is save.

Why would I alter my firewall settings ? To open up my system for hackers ? I think it's a really BAD idea to change the firewall settings only to make one specific site work.

So I think a lot banking sites should be rewritten.
They should use client side scripting code. Check forms with php. They sould use server side scripts.

Marcel
hellene

Post by hellene »

Roen wrote:I tried visiting that site and it asked me if it was ok to install some kind of applet signed by veritrust. Is this missing?

That I would guess is what's missing. Depending on what it is, it might install using the FX downloader, but the original poster didn't give the impression that the site had asked to download software. I got the impression it was trying to run an executable - perhaps I misunderstood.

If the site is asking to install software he should be OK I would think as long as he allows the browser to do it (and it isn't an Active X control)
meverhagen

Post by meverhagen »

I mean:

They should NOT use client side scripting code.
THey sould check forms with php (or another server side scripting language, there are plenty and invisible for the people who are browsing.)
. They should use server side scripts.
hellene

Post by hellene »

meverhagen wrote:Why would I alter my firewall settings ? To open up my system for hackers ? I think it's a really BAD idea to change the firewall settings only to make one specific site work.

While not arguing with your comments about Javascript (don't know enough about it for starters) you have misunderstood my advice.

Firewalls allow programs to open designated ports for http, https and ftp access. A number of people have reported after upgrade that they can no longer access https sites - I believe this is down to *faulty* firewall configuration. Deleting all entries and allowing the *firewall* to reconfigure its access permissions is not opening up the system to hackers, it's fixing something the user has inadvertantly banjaxed in the first place.
GUEST :)

Post by GUEST :) »

Of course, along with a number of non-banking sites. But this of course doesn't help users in the meanwhile.

By the way: Applet=Java (and no, they didn't appear to try to use any active x- would have mentioned that as a no-go right at the start), as I said, for this site : https://anytime3.ulsterbank.com/asp/mainJ2P.htm
you must have Java enabled, and yes, you must agree to run a signed applet... I also had to use the extension I linked in order to grant their scripts the proper permissions... definitely not standard stuff, and I would not allow that kind of latitude for any site (thus the Trusted sites, listing the specific site etc.) but it is a bank that apparently the OP trusts, and has been using with IE anyway.
My banks don't requre any of that junk, and they are plenty secure.
meverhagen

Users could try to use the banking software on another pc.

Post by meverhagen »

It is possible to use the banking sites on different pc's. The best thing users can do is to use an other computer (of a friend, or in the library) to use the banking websites.

The javascipt is mainly used to precheck the form data users have entered in the forms. Using IE javascipt means that these prechecks will not work in other browsers.
(The data a user fills in isn't processed on the client computer, it is processed on the bank server. asp means active server pages. cgi is also a server side thing.)
This prechecking could easely be done by the bank server (on the server side.). So I think the banking sites should be useable without enabling javascipt.
hellene

Re: Users could try to use the banking software on another p

Post by hellene »

meverhagen wrote:It is possible to use the banking sites on different pc's. The best thing users can do is to use an other computer (of a friend, or in the library) to use the banking websites.

Why?

I'd rather only input personal data into my own machine thank you very much.

The javascipt is mainly used to precheck the form data users have entered in the forms. Using IE javascipt means that these prechecks will not work in other browsers.

yes, but if the javascript conforms to the standards this will not be a problem. Using javascript to do a prevalidation (has the user missed an entry or put something in the wrong box etc) is a valid thing to do as it speeds the process up if the user makes an error. I always tell my people to put some validation on their web forms, so that it puts it straight back to the user if they (for example) hit the return button instead of the tab button and try to submit a half-filled form
(The data a user fills in isn't processed on the client computer, it is processed on the bank server. asp means active server pages. cgi is also a server side thing.)

Yes, we know this.....
This prechecking could easely be done by the bank server (on the server side.). So I think the banking sites should be useable without enabling javascipt.

It could be done, but it wouldn't be as fast. Trust me on this, I work with a big application that exchanges information with the web. For best results you want to validate the form entries as near to the user as you can get.

What is it with your obsession with javascript. What do you think it is going to do to you?
Sharom

Post by Sharom »

I've had a look at the properties of the object installed in I.E and on the dependancy tab it lists 1 file and 20 Java packages upon which Ulster Bank Any Time depends. Conclusion : I won't be able to gain access with Firefox without this file. Guess it's a case of Banking with I.E. and using Firefox for everything else. I will Telephone the helpline tomorrow and Post again.
hellene

Post by hellene »

Sharom wrote:I've had a look at the properties of the object installed in I.E and on the dependancy tab it lists 1 file and 20 Java packages upon which Ulster Bank Any Time depends. Conclusion : I won't be able to gain access with Firefox without this file. Guess it's a case of Banking with I.E. and using Firefox for everything else. I will Telephone the helpline tomorrow and Post again.

Without your own personal tech support that might be the best option for you :(

You could try allowing the site to download the software but there's no guarantee it would work with FX.
apensity

Post by apensity »

I work at a Bank and suggested they use FIrefox for internal use. THey are actually trying to develop software that will be able to use FIrefox instead of IE. Right now our software doesn't work with Firefox. Looks like more of a Java issue than anything.

Post by Guest »

Downloaded Program Files are a collection of ActiveX controls, so your banks site will only work with IE on Windows and no other platform or browser.
meverhagen

Post by meverhagen »

It is possible to use the banking sites on different pc's. The best thing users can do is to use an other computer (of a friend, or in the library) to use the banking websites.

Why?

I'd rather only input personal data into my own machine thank you very much.

I have to log in with a digipas. (this works) So it isn't possible somebody else could use the personal data.

And I haven't got an obsession with javascipt.
I find it annoynig this language isn't working properly and is widely used.

I is definity wrong to tell the users of a website what kind of system they should use. I think the javascipt thing is treating the freedom to choose which software to use for browsing.
Sharom

Post by Sharom »

Ok. Been in touch with my bank and they told me that I would have to re-download the executable file for FFx. This is done by re-registering. If you've been to the site you'll have seen an option Tab marked "Register". Here you must enter your Registration No & a Shared Secret No which is given to you on the phone by electronic means. When you enter the Shared Secret No this tells their sever to install the file. Guess What ?....It would not install in Firefox. I tried half a dozen times with different Java settings. When I entered the Shared Secret and clicked Register the text on the button turned orange for a second and nothing happened. Ended up installing it in I.E. again and it installed no problem. At the end of the day I'm sure I'll be able to live with doing my Banking on I.E an FFx for browsing