How can I turn off the New Tab pictures? I want a blank page

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Frank Lion

Re: How can I turn off the New Tab pictures? I want a blank

Post by Frank Lion »

DVB wrote: Yes, I can go into config settings and fiddle around with them -- but why on earth should I have to?

Because it will be good practice for you when Firefox goes tabs on top only?

Don't forget some of us are looking at alpha versions of stuff a few versions ahead of what you're on. ;)

@itsjustmehere, just do what JayhawksRock put above. It's easier than wondering. :)
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Fuzzyizmit

Post by Fuzzyizmit »

I am so glad I found this page! I hate this new default thing. Ugh!
avoidz

Post by avoidz »

trolly wrote:Unless you disable and clear your history the new tab page simply shows the most used items of your history. The data was already there (and still is when you disable only the feature).

But why make it any easier for someone to snoop on the pages you've been visiting recently?
LAPTOP: XPS17 Intel i7-2630QM, 8GB RAM, GeForce GT 555M, Windows 7 64bit
KWierso

Post by KWierso »

Because it provides a benefit for most people to get to their frequently accessed sites?
chris bryan

Post by chris bryan »

great nightwing thats done the trick thanks a lot
avoidz

Post by avoidz »

KWierso wrote:Because it provides a benefit for most people to get to their frequently accessed sites?

I see your point, but wouldn't it better as a speed dial of customizable user-defined bookmarks rather than trawling from the recent history?
LAPTOP: XPS17 Intel i7-2630QM, 8GB RAM, GeForce GT 555M, Windows 7 64bit
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

avoidz wrote:
KWierso wrote:Because it provides a benefit for most people to get to their frequently accessed sites?

I see your point, but wouldn't it better as a speed dial of customizable user-defined bookmarks rather than trawling from the recent history?

You can, but it's not exactly intuitive.

#1. Open all the sites that you want to add to 'New Page'.
#2. Now open a new tab, right click and select 'Open in new window.
#3. Resize windows so that you can see both at the same time.
#4. Drag the urlbar favicon of the site to be bookmarked into the selected position on the New Tab page.
#5. The bookmark seems to get pinned (blue pin) automatically and persists across restarts.

I discovered this by accident and this feature really should have a much better default way of doing this. As I keep almost zero history, this feature was pretty useless to me, as it was.

Incidentally, experience in forums has shown me that ranters rarely let new information stand in the way of a good rant. So for every 'Thanks for the tip, Frank' type post, I'm sure that there will be 10 'That's all very well, Frank, but why should a user be expected to....' posts.

It is the nature of the world we now live in. :)
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

Frank Lion wrote:Incidentally, experience in forums has shown me that ranters rarely let new information stand in the way of a good rant. So for every 'Thanks for the tip, Frank' type post, I'm sure that there will be 10 'That's all very well, Frank, but why should a user be expected to....' posts.

Already proven in this thread alone. See the second to the last post on the first page and the subsequent followup.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
Gingerbread Man

Post by Gingerbread Man »

avoidz wrote:I see your point, but wouldn't it better as a speed dial of customizable user-defined bookmarks rather than trawling from the recent history?

There's nothing stopping you from using the new tab page that way.
:arrow: New Tab Page – show, hide and customize top sites
KWierso

Post by KWierso »

JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

Ahhh, The Beauty of Firefox.... Extensions and their Authors of course ! :D
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
anon289428938723862596236598138751073785329879873879267929801893161365472unique_enough_questionmark

Post by anon289428938723862596236598138751073785329879873879267929801893161365472unique_enough_questionmark »

please stop destroying a wonderful browser with this useless crap!!!! i do not want to run google spyware or ms phailware.

i love firefox but you are killing it!!!
please stop!!!
James

Post by James »

Should be obvious that mozillaZine is not Mozilla ;)
Manuzzi

Post by Manuzzi »

I don't have the time to read all the posts now, so sorry for a repetition; I am using FF for 14 years now and promoted it to everyone, but this top sites appearing by default can be for me a reason to say goodbye to FF. Don't like this policy and makes me think FF nowadays has other ideas about privacy than I have. There should be an easy way to switch it off by default in the preferences.

I can understand they want the feature in, for sure, but do make it easier to switch it permanently off for does who don't want it.
KWierso

Post by KWierso »

Then switch to Chrome if you value your privacy so much that you can't take the minute needed to flip off the thumbnail capturing and new tab preferences... :roll: