No youtube buffering anymore?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
flaneurb

Re: No youtube buffering anymore?

Post by flaneurb »

Does this buffer?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QRO3gKj3qw
Asking because it's HTML5. I see a 9.6 MB WebM video in cache, not the weird 1.8 MB stuff when I watch non-HTML5 stuff.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Using the default 320 setting, it stops buffering after the first min or so, if "Paused."
I changed it to 480 & it buffers but at a lower rate. eg; about 35 to 100 KB/sec. (Continues if "Paused.")
720 HD gives a continuous buffer, but much quicker. eg; about 580 KB/sec. (average) (Continues if "Paused.")
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

I'm not sure if bumping the quality is the key. It's a bit erratic here. At first it seemed to work, but the second time it didn't quite work.

The problem I'm seeing is that it's throttling the download rate. At first it comes in at about 80-100 KiB/s (the Ubuntu system monitor shows network rates). Then it stutters or stalls. It seems like if I move the mouse to another window and then back again, that seems to start it, and it gooses the download rate up to bursts of about 180KiB/s, and it works from there.

I'm curious. Does this work for you? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uhrb7JxNqtU . Sometimes I show the download as either not keeping up with the video, or just barely keeping up.

Flaneurb, yes, that buffered for me. Got about a minute ahead, but it seems to be throttled.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

I tested that link... opened it in a new window, allowed all ads/scripts (just to make sure about that) and the vid. started playing and buffering was going pretty fast... then went slow but was staying ahead of the vid. Paused it, buffering stopped, started the vid and buffering slowly proceeded. Did the switch to my main page both while the orig. vid was both paused and running.... switched back and forth. Same action all the time. So, YT has a pretty neat watchdog going on.... Like "feedback" from Flash back to YT telling them that Hey, the guy isn't watching this so don't waste your band-width until he start watching it. Hmmm... pretty interesting. Maybe that's something new in the new Flash... or a setting in there that I've missed.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

df,
Have you tried upping the quality setting?
The higher setting/s seem to affect the buffering speed.
ref; my graphic.
Weird.
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Not sure where I would find quality settings in this Laptop. If it's my display settings they are pretty much at the top. If Catalyst software was controlling fine-tuning... I uninstalled it because it was junk.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

flaneurb wrote:Does this buffer?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QRO3gKj3qw

On my unquestionably good connection (I also have a new connection that's bad) it worked perfectly, but the behavior depended on the quality setting. At 480 it buffered way ahead, but stopped buffering when I paused it. At 720 it buffered all the way to the end even while it was paused.
Last edited by VanillaMozilla on June 20th, 2012, 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

dfoulkes wrote:Not sure where I would find quality settings in this Laptop. If it's my display settings they are pretty much at the top. If Catalyst software was controlling fine-tuning... I uninstalled it because it was junk.

OK... forgot about the Q-setting in YT... changed it to high and it zoomed along... interesting.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

This is the suggestion/s from YouTube.
> http://support.google.com/youtube/bin/a ... swer=74662
& another says the same in the Forum.
> http://productforums.google.com/forum/# ... bejm2zuXJY

VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

It's intermittent and Google's working on it. Workarounds posted. Good enough for now. :)
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

The Google documents noted a flaky connection as a possible cause. That was certainly true in my case. AT&T fixed my line, and NO problems so far.
flaneurb

Post by flaneurb »

Here's a QnA from stackexchange: "How to bypass youtube's local cache?"
http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions ... ocal-cache
Checking my browser's activity I can see that my ISP has a local youtube cache and serves videos in 1.7mb chunks. Talking to some friends we verified that at least 2 of the major ISPs in Brazil are doing this.

So it is Adobe, YouTube or your ISP that's doing the chunking?
BikeHelmet

Post by BikeHelmet »

That would mean it's the Google cache servers. Google deploys them on ISP networks worldwide. They accelerate access to videos, but they must also serve them in chunks?

Hmm... that still doesn't indicate whether it was Adobe or Google that wanted it implemented.
SadYouTuber

Post by SadYouTuber »

Well this is not looking good for the old folks at home! They pretty much got "pause it until the whole thing is ready, then play it". I may get them over "switch to FireFox and let the RealPlayer button download it" but RP is reaaaaaaallly slow - it is taking as long to download as it does to play, no appreciable acceleration going on there. And anything more sophisticated than that is just not going to work for them.

BTW there is nothing "flaky" with MY connection so even if that has something to do with some YT problems its not the issue here. Besides the whole point of "pause and wait for it to load" is to get past the problems people with slow or flaky connections have.

I'll keep watching here to see if somebody comes up with a solution but this is a sad development in youtube land. It's not like these folks are trying to steal movies or something - they want to watch stuff like baking videos and birdcalls/birdwatching. The only viable solution right now seems to be to steal the video!
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi,
If possible, get them to increase the videos quality from the basic 320 to 480 or so.
They load without pausing.