No youtube buffering anymore?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
flaneurb

Re: No youtube buffering anymore?

Post by flaneurb »

LIMPET235 wrote:Hi,
If possible, get them to increase the videos quality from the basic 320 to 480 or so.
They load without pausing.

Just tried this ^^^ with 480. Worked perfectly. Now the question is, "Why"?
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

flaneurb wrote:Just tried this ^^^ with 480. Worked perfectly. Now the question is, "Why"?

1. Because it's a smart algorithm, and it knows it needs more buffering?
2. Because it refreshes the cache, as explained in the post on workarounds?

It may be worth pointing out that according to the links that Limpet posted, it may have to do as much with the quality of the connection as with the speed. I found that when I had a bad line for a couple of days, for some reason it throttled the connection to way below the speed of the line.
flaneurb

Post by flaneurb »

My net speed is so low that I'm ashamed to mention it and this thread is concerning people who have slow speeds. OP even mentioned dial-up. It's not clear what you mean by quality: contention ratios?

And the point is that something that worked a while ago "out of the box" is not doing so now. Is the 1.7 MB chunking deliberate? And if it's meant to make it more difficult to recover videos from cache then why is it not applicable for higher quality.

Another point which maybe of no relevance is that when the 480 trick worked, I moved the relevant video file out of cache (with mv and didn't do a cp) and then hit play. I'm wondering how that worked.

All in all, I'm confused.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Flaneurb, I don't know either what is meant by quality. Mistransmitted packets? Variable maximum rate? Internet congestion? Darned if I know. Just making a suggestion based on the Google support articles and my own limited observations with a fairly fast but defective connection.

And I suppose they could be deliberately trying to make it difficult to remove videos from the cache, but I wonder if they would bother, since it's so easily circumvented.

I suppose moving the cache file works for the same reason that clearing the cache does (see the Google article). It forces it to start over, and for whatever reason, this time it gets it right. That's my guess, anyway. The article said that changing resolution has the same effect because the existing (incomplete) cache is no longer usable.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Just tried something and it was kind of interesting...
Started a UT vid and it did its normal thing... buffered about 20% while playing and slowly moved as the vid played... and then paused the vid and of course the buffering stopped. I moved the button (what ever it's called) over near the end of the last part of the buffer-bar and it started buffering again... I kept moving that button over just behind the end of the buffer-bar until it finished... that was in high-def and it all took about 8 seconds to get to the end. Then I refreshed that same link and started playing the vid... just as soon as it started I moved that button over to the end and it all loaded in a second. Tried this with my test profile also just to make sure I was using a clean profile.... it also worked that way in there.
Anyway, thought it was interesting.

This is the one I played with...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xujhimh5 ... ture=g-pop
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

df,
You have a strange taste in videos. That was creeeeepy!
At least I picked an interesting one.
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPwtjmAZ ... e=g-sports
Try it in HD & full screen.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Nah... I don't mess with YT much so I just picked the top one of the most watched or... whatever it was...

Lucky that guy was using a cheap plane. Now, here's about as close as you're gonna get to a real one...
http://www.wimp.com/rocketairplane/
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
Wineslacker

Post by Wineslacker »

Had the same non-buffering problem with YT. I checked that I had the latest version of Flash, although I hadn't gotten the message, "..need latest version..." I upgraded to 11.3 and it loaded, even though I saw the "does not support Vista 64 bit", ....I know, "duh". Definitely did not work. Ran up dated scans...nothing. Went back to Flash 10. Now YT works, but I get the, "You must update to the latest Flash Player version.." message when I try to play YT vids in Face Book!! Any words of wisdom, besides update to Windows 7?