MozillaZine

were they thinking? new tab Top sites PRIVACY nightmare

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
rtoledo2002
 
Posts: 9
Joined: March 31st, 2007, 3:17 pm
Location: Los Angeles area

Post Posted July 10th, 2012, 2:54 pm

This is more a comment than anything else.

I am a OLD time evangelist when it comes to Netscape > Mozilla. it's all I use and recommend .

What were they thinking when they pulled that Microsoft style maneuver with the new tab " top sites" showing where you have been lately.

seriously do you want others knowing you have been to websites about sexual deceases ? about selling stuff no one else knows about, how about good old porn sites?

I had my old setup working just fine and re-installed after a recent brown out (southern CAL )so I installed the new version 13 and this is it's new DEFAULT behavior. [-X

thanks to the Moderator that has the HOW to cure this mistake at the top of the page LOCKED.

thank you and shame on who did this. Firefox is all about SECURITY all the way around!!! that means not divulging what the user does. really pissed about this I expect this from Microsoft or Verizon

well moderator if you want to silence me feel free to erase this , but it has to be said in the clear for others to opine on, so that the software engineers stay true to Mozilla's true and oldest direction.

thank you :evil:

L.A.R. Grizzly

User avatar
 
Posts: 5330
Joined: March 15th, 2005, 5:32 pm
Location: Akron, Ohio, USA

Post Posted July 10th, 2012, 3:03 pm

rtoledo2002 wrote:thanks to the Moderator that has the HOW to cure this mistake at the top of the page LOCKED.


The topic you mentioned is only locked because it's a "sticky". You can post about the feature in the regular support section (here, as you have done).
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 27.9.2, Firefox 52.7.3esr, SeaMonkey 2.48, FossaMail 38.9.0 and Thunderbird 52.7.0

rtoledo2002
 
Posts: 9
Joined: March 31st, 2007, 3:17 pm
Location: Los Angeles area

Post Posted July 10th, 2012, 3:09 pm

thanks I knew that. I was not putting it down on the contrary I was being thankful to Robert ? for having it as a sticky, so it's the first thing we see. As you can see a lot of people have looked at it and will continue to do so.

I thought we got rid of the mentality of activating stuff in the late 90's. I think Leo Laporte stood on the pulpit and said so a thousand times, so that only those that needed it something so useless and dangerous would OPT-IN

I guess " vigilance is a ongoing thing"

L.A.R. Grizzly

User avatar
 
Posts: 5330
Joined: March 15th, 2005, 5:32 pm
Location: Akron, Ohio, USA

Post Posted July 10th, 2012, 3:20 pm

rtoledo2002 wrote:thanks I knew that. I was not putting it down on the contrary I was being thankful to Robert ? for having it as a sticky, so it's the first thing we see. As you can see a lot of people have looked at it and will continue to do so.

I thought we got rid of the mentality of activating stuff in the late 90's. I think Leo Laporte stood on the pulpit and said so a thousand times, so that only those that needed it something so useless and dangerous would OPT-IN

I guess " vigilance is a ongoing thing"


Firefox is getting more cluttered with every release. I'm "old school" too and I don't like most of the new features. I assume most of the younger generation like these options, so we will just have to put up with them (there's always SeaMonkey if you want to old feel of Netscape back). Unfortunately, SeaMonkey is following along with Firefox and a lot of these features will probably end up there too.
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 27.9.2, Firefox 52.7.3esr, SeaMonkey 2.48, FossaMail 38.9.0 and Thunderbird 52.7.0

James
Moderator

User avatar
 
Posts: 27278
Joined: June 18th, 2003, 3:07 pm
Location: Made in Canada

Post Posted July 10th, 2012, 3:20 pm

Hard to say if you are aware of it or not but mozillaZine is not run by or a part of Mozilla. http://www.mozillazine.org/about/

Some would say people can see what you were looking at by way of History.

Also if you do not want people to use your Firefox then lock the screen or account when you are not there and have people use another account or Guest account if need be if you want to be private. Private browsing mode is another option.

Mozilla has their own forum for Firefox support at support.mozilla.org/questions/

Frank Lion

User avatar
 
Posts: 19888
Joined: April 23rd, 2004, 6:59 pm
Location: ... The Exorcist....United Kingdom

Post Posted July 10th, 2012, 3:25 pm

rtoledo2002 wrote:seriously do you want others knowing you have been to websites about sexual deceases ? about selling stuff no one else knows about, how about good old porn sites?

Ever thought of leading a more normal life?

You wouldn't have to feel so guilty about people knowing what you get up to then.
Metal Lion latest SeaMonkey & Thunderbird Themes - Sea Monkey and Silver Sea Monkey
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)

rtoledo2002
 
Posts: 9
Joined: March 31st, 2007, 3:17 pm
Location: Los Angeles area

Post Posted July 10th, 2012, 4:50 pm

to both of you in one post:

yes I know this is outside support, but some how think it may get their attention.

what's more normal? I'm always amazed by young people not caring about anything.

because I cited 3 things off the top , that are meant to make a point does not make it my routine.

seriously no one ever does anything they want to keep to themselves? either way showing others what sites you have been to the most so others can eavesdrop is not cool

malliz
Folder@Home

User avatar
 
Posts: 43467
Joined: December 7th, 2002, 4:34 am
Location: Australia

Post Posted July 10th, 2012, 5:04 pm

rtoledo2002 wrote:to both of you in one post:

yes I know this is outside support, but some how think it may get their attention.

Wrong
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"

KWierso
 
Posts: 8831
Joined: May 7th, 2006, 10:29 pm
Location: California

Post Posted July 10th, 2012, 6:43 pm

So if you have something to hide, do it in private browsing mode, where nonthing is stored.

mightyglydd

User avatar
 
Posts: 9174
Joined: November 4th, 2006, 7:07 pm
Location: Hollywood Ca.

Post Posted July 10th, 2012, 6:58 pm

rtoledo2002 wrote:I am a evangelist, seriously do you want others knowing you have been to websites about sexual deceases ? how about good old porn sites


Evenin' Vicar,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7s9SYX7TSJ0
#KeepFightingMichael

Gingerbread Man

User avatar
 
Posts: 7734
Joined: January 30th, 2007, 10:55 am

Post Posted July 10th, 2012, 8:28 pm

rtoledo2002 wrote:yes I know this is outside support, but some how think it may get their attention.

Open the Help menu and choose Submit Feedback.

If you post incoherent rants on this inter-user support forum, you'll only get a well-deserved ribbing.

If you do the same on the official support forum, you'll get three dozen different people profusely apologizing for the hardship you've had to endure as a result of this feature that they had nothing to do with. But all the same, your comment won't end up where it needs to go.

For what it's worth, over at Mozilla they're well aware that most users don't care for the New Tab Page feature. They seem to be attributing the negative feedback to user ignorance.
wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox/Planning/2012-06-13

James
Moderator

User avatar
 
Posts: 27278
Joined: June 18th, 2003, 3:07 pm
Location: Made in Canada

Post Posted July 10th, 2012, 10:38 pm

Gingerbread Man wrote:If you do the same on the official support forum, you'll get three dozen different people profusely apologizing for the hardship you've had to endure as a result of this feature that they had nothing to do with. But all the same, your comment won't end up where it needs to go.

Lol yeah some of the Mozilla related people (especially newer ones) and a few volunteer mods have been doing that more often lately with the monotonous sort of feeling to them.

rtoledo2002
 
Posts: 9
Joined: March 31st, 2007, 3:17 pm
Location: Los Angeles area

Post Posted July 11th, 2012, 2:17 pm

mightyglydd wrote:
rtoledo2002 wrote:I am a evangelist, seriously do you want others knowing you have been to websites about sexual deceases ? how about good old porn sites


Evenin' Vicar,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7s9SYX7TSJ0


well your AVATAR seems to suit you well. you must be drunk or experimenting with heavy drugs like in the avatar. cause I never said what you are quoting me as saying. you better go back and read it again junior [-X

rtoledo2002
 
Posts: 9
Joined: March 31st, 2007, 3:17 pm
Location: Los Angeles area

Post Posted July 11th, 2012, 2:18 pm

Gingerbread Man wrote:
rtoledo2002 wrote:yes I know this is outside support, but some how think it may get their attention.

Open the Help menu and choose Submit Feedback.

If you post incoherent rants on this inter-user support forum, you'll only get a well-deserved ribbing.

If you do the same on the official support forum, you'll get three dozen different people profusely apologizing for the hardship you've had to endure as a result of this feature that they had nothing to do with. But all the same, your comment won't end up where it needs to go.

For what it's worth, over at Mozilla they're well aware that most users don't care for the New Tab Page feature. They seem to be attributing the negative feedback to user ignorance.
wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox/Planning/2012-06-13


I guess so. I forgot why I haven't been here in a long time my memory fails me these days guess I'll just delete this web site from my lastpass vault ;)

as for the official folks attributing things to ignorance , well i can see that here at home and at work all day long. I guess when I gave my 3 examples above, I should have added the other programs that does what Firefox does only a lot worse , Verizon has a program that goes thru ALL the hard drives of every one in my house (8machines) from my 6 year old grandson to my 29 and 31 and 14 year old sons and daughter. as you can imagine they have a lot of stuff in their drives I do not want my grandson or granddaughter near to. this program just offers it all for everyone.

Well i yanked that sucker off as soon as it got thru, and it started displaying tiles of every film. mind you I have a SiliconDust HD homerun Prime with six tuners and all the people in the house can record off the Verizon Fios and it gets saved in the persons computer.

now for all the folks that like to prounce on people asking for help(get a life), I have no idea if there is porno, but I know there is films with "live action" sex going on.
not good for little kids. since you are the types with reading comprehension ( LOL) you will probably not get the comparison to firefox doing the same crap.

oh and I just unsubscrived from this so feel free to go at it :lol:

for those

kgbme

User avatar
 
Posts: 329
Joined: May 26th, 2005, 4:50 pm
Location: Belgrade

Post Posted July 11th, 2012, 7:13 pm

rtoledo2002 wrote:[..] Firefox does [..]

Firefox doesn't "do" anything, without being installed and then launched by the user; much like other software. It has privacy features built in and there are also user profiles on every operating system (like it's been mentioned). Besides add-ons for password-protecting the Firefox profile, firefox.exe -profilemanager can be invoked and selected to start with a profile without prompting; and there are also (many) other ways to go about keeping browsing private.

Anyway, you gotta be kidding.

P.S.
Setting browser.newtab.url to about:blank in about:config will get rid of the New Tab Page and browser.newtabpage.enabled will have it minimized.

Code: Select all
http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/new-tab-page-show-hide-and-customize-top-sites
pls disregard my (previous) disillusioned ff => 4.x posts, tnx. I've embraced it; apologies.

Return to Firefox Support


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 7 guests