MozillaZine

bookmarks

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
dcaldwell

Post Posted July 12th, 2012, 6:11 am

When I want to save a bookmark it goes into a file called Unsorted Bookmarks. How do I put a bookmark in a folder? This used to be possible in previous versions of Firefox. Also, I just noticed a folder called Recently Bookmarked. It contains 10 bookmarks to sites I've never seen. How did these get in there? (I am the only user of my computer.)

[Post ID: Firefox.12.07.2012]

LIMPET235

Post Posted July 12th, 2012, 6:19 am

You can use the drop down on the RHS or just double click the Star to open the options.

To put a BM in a folder, just open the Library (Bookmarks > Show all)
highlight the required folder in the left column & drag them to wherever you want.

As for your Recently BM'd?
Not sure. Maybe a gremlin? ;)
Ancient Amateur Astronomer
Win-7-HP/IntelĀ® DualCore-2.0GHz/500G HDD/4 Gig Ram/550Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-20.0-50.0-56.0.1/T-bird-2.0.0.24/SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.11.0.
RadioYachting. Conficker Test. (Always choose the "Custom" Install.)

dfoulkes

Post Posted July 12th, 2012, 8:36 am

The extension Compact Menu 2 is breaking the bookmark features of Firefox... I see no easy way to contact the author but a problem-post has been made on AMO and the authors blog... which costs $$ to post on it, BTW.

So, if people are using that extension it will break normal bookmarking and put stuff into unsorted.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!

dcaldwell

Post Posted July 13th, 2012, 5:39 pm

I cant' get rid of the bookmarks in the Recently Bookmarked folder. Every time I delete one, another pops up. Where the hell are these coming from? Not from anything I'm doing!

dfoulkes

Post Posted July 13th, 2012, 8:51 pm

As far as I know the "Recently Bookmarked" items are just keys to the actual bookmark and not the bookmark itself. But, if you delete them you "may" be deleting bookmarks... not sure.

So, you may have bookmarked something into folder30 ... and bookmarked something into folder 5 but the Recently section will have them next to each other... since it's just a key-value... anyway, that's the way I understand it. You can alter the headings for bookmarks in the right hand viewing window by right-clicking on the header and choose more columns. There is also this good extension that provides where those bookmarks are located in the "parent" folder.
Show Parent Folder :: Add-ons for Firefox
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!

dickvl

Post Posted July 13th, 2012, 9:17 pm

"Recently Bookmarked" is one of the so called smart folders that show a list of bookmarks that are the result of a specific place query.
Any action that you perform is done on the original bookmark.
https://support.mozilla.org/kb/Smart+Bookmarks+folders
https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Places_query_URIs

the-edmeister

Post Posted July 14th, 2012, 1:06 am

If you don't want to see that Recently Bookmarked folder, just right-click that folder and select Delete.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.

dcaldwell

Post Posted July 17th, 2012, 9:27 am

Thank you.
The folder is now gone.

Return to Firefox Support