Twitter Untrusted Connection

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Harv72b

Re: Twitter Untrusted Connection

Post by Harv72b »

Okay, getting the error again, here's the technical details verbatim:

twitter.com uses an invalid security certificate.

The certificate is only valid for the following names:
a248.e.akamai.net , *.akamaihd.net , *.akamaihd-staging.net

(Error code: ssl_error_bad_cert_domain)

Having seen it again, that's exactly the message I get every time. I've been through every possible setting in Firefox and tried every possible combination, and have also tried turning off individual & all add-ons...nothing makes a difference. Have also tried adding an exception in my Certificate Manager for twitter.com and that has no effect.

I don't have another computer to try logging on with when it occurs; I can obviously get into my account/twitter with my android phone when the issue crops up on the pc.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

@btreloar - A number of ISPs do throttle back during peak times and do make allowances for higher speed accounts. Could be you get bounced between high band width and low bandwidth if reliability is selected over throughput. Ex: When a local web site is bogged down with too many clients and ability to print a form is necessary to complete the reason one visits the site, sometimes it does not respond properly or a certificate error is displayed and it requires dropping to a lower bandwidth. Fortunately that site has a page which allows a person to choose between low bandwidth and high bandwidth. Sometimes this is due to traffic and sometimes this is due to the ISP which one is on during the access attempt.

@Harv72b - Some sites have implemented Akamai and in some cases there appears to be information which either the site tries to transfer or gather which throws Firefox for a loop since it would be considered either a privacy or security concern. It could also be a re-direct, either proper or improper which is causing the problem. Have you updated anything recently. If you had an index of certificates and there were changes whcih removed old certificates and replaced them with new ones it could be twitter or theior Akamai setup is behind the curve on updating their own. Usually Akamai appears to be for archiving but occasionally I detect some other process which is going on and it could be persistent cookies or something else.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
btreloar

Post by btreloar »

Hi, Grumpus, I've never been presented with a choice between low and high bandwidth. But I have inquired of my ISP and they've placed me on a "watch list" so the next time I get blocked I can call and they can investigate. Of course, wouldn't you know it - I haven't gotten blocked in the 24 hours since they put me on the watch list.
Bill Treloar
TXFairTaxer

Post by TXFairTaxer »

Anyone have a solution to this yet? I can confirm it has nothing to do with the Browser; and probably isn't as far up the chain as your ISP. I believe it may actually be related to the Linksys Router, but the original problem stems from a setting within Twitter (and/or Facebook). Remember them asking a while ago if you wanted to "Switch to a secure connection"? Well, that setting forces your browser (Firefox, IE, Chrome, Opera, etc) to use a secure connection while connecting to their websites. I think you can change that in the settings on each website.

Anyways, I've found a temporary workaround, but THIS IS NOT A SOLUTION. This workaround also seemed to work much better in Windows Vista than it does with Windows 7. I've tried a number of suggestions found on the internet and all have failed; including the "SkipCertError" addon; which gives me this message "SkipCertError could not add an exception for twitter.com, because the following options are not set: domain mismatch". That being said, FireFox won't accept the "Exception" because the certification(s) Twitter uses don't reflect the domain(s) in error.

This is the only workaround I have been able to use (temporarily) using my WRT310Nv2 Wireless-N Gigabit Router (Firmware Version: v2.0.00):
1. Enter the Admin side of your Linksys Router (usually 192.168.#.1, where # usually = 0 or 1 or whatever you set it to).
2. Click on the "Wireless" tab and make sure you're in the "Basic Wireless Settings" section.
3. At the bottom, find "SSID Broadcast" and select "Disabled" then click Save Settings.

If your SSID Broadcast was previously set to "Enabled", repeat Step 3 but select "Enabled".

Go refresh your Twitter tab. If it didn't work, try it again or try rebooting your router.

Like I said, it's a Temporary workaround, but it is getting to be really annoying. I'm 1/2 tempted to just go back into my settings on Twitter (and/or Facebook) and changing it back to being an insecure connection, but I would really hate doing that.

Robert Williams ®
@TXFairTaxer