Operation timed out

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Rameshwar

Operation Timed out Firefox Browser

Post by Rameshwar »

I am facing the similar problem with Firefox on Red Hat Linux Fedora core 3. It responds me as Operation timed out for www.yahoo.com. But when I ping it from the x-term terminal it responds me well. Please help me to fix this problem. I have already wasted 2 weeks trying to fix it but could not fix. I am currently in Delhi using MTNL's DSL BroadBand service.

Rameshwar Miniyar

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:In response to the following posts (see below), I have to say that I know the webmaster for the forums I am trying to log onto (it's a small site with some of our friends), and I'm still having problems.
I don't have problems with any other sites.
The forum can handle the load.
It is not down (we are looking at it on his computer now).
This has been happening for the last week.
If you can advise me, I would be ever so grateful!!

I'm having the same problems this person is having and i've tried almost all of the solutions I can and nothing seems to work.
hellene

Post by hellene »

Anonymous guest - what site?
I don't know how to do any of this stuff, I just hire the guys that do
Have you considered reading the HELP folder. Right there on your menu bar.
Image by Juniper http onic.net/~daylight/ - Xmas special by Ol Grumpy

Post by Guest »

The site i'm trying to get onto is www.bronxunderground.com which will most likely work on your computer when you try it. For some reason it won't load on my home PC anymore.
hellene

Post by hellene »

You're right, it loaded for me. Is it just not loading at all - I suspect it offers cookies so do you have allow cookies set?

Also, can you access it from your machine using another browser?

Post by Guest »

hellene wrote:You're right, it loaded for me. Is it just not loading at all - I suspect it offers cookies so do you have allow cookies set?

Also, can you access it from your machine using another browser?

Yes I allow cookies. I also tried it using IE and get the same response. IE gives me the page that says "Page can not be found, DNS lookup error, etc. and Firefox says "connecting to..." then times out.
hellene

Post by hellene »

Guest, if you get the same effect on one machine with two browsers, then it is not anything to do with settings in the browsers. If IE is giving you a DNS lookup error, I am guessing that your ISP is having issues with its DNS server. It's probably not your firewall or adblocker, although you could check both, because they usually give "connection refused" error messages.

Post by Guest »

hellene wrote:Guest, if you get the same effect on one machine with two browsers, then it is not anything to do with settings in the browsers. If IE is giving you a DNS lookup error, I am guessing that your ISP is having issues with its DNS server. It's probably not your firewall or adblocker, although you could check both, because they usually give "connection refused" error messages.

If my ISP is having problems with my DNS server then why is it only this one site that won't work for me?
snkbyte

Not Mozilla's problem?

Post by snkbyte »

hellene wrote:It's not Mozilla's problem. That's the problem.

I would heartily disagree. I can ping sites by name, indicating it's not a DNS issue. I can open them in Konqueror, indicating it's not machine specific (SuSe Linux). I can open them from my Windows box. It's ONLY Firefox which is timing out on about 50 percent of the sites I try to visit.
hellene

Post by hellene »

Anonymous wrote:
hellene wrote:Guest, if you get the same effect on one machine with two browsers, then it is not anything to do with settings in the browsers. If IE is giving you a DNS lookup error, I am guessing that your ISP is having issues with its DNS server. It's probably not your firewall or adblocker, although you could check both, because they usually give "connection refused" error messages.

If my ISP is having problems with my DNS server then why is it only this one site that won't work for me?
Because it's only having problems with that one site....? It's cached a bad lookup for that site? Aliens have eaten that site?
hellene

Re: Not Mozilla's problem?

Post by hellene »

snkbyte wrote:
hellene wrote:It's not Mozilla's problem. That's the problem.

I would heartily disagree. I can ping sites by name, indicating it's not a DNS issue. I can open them in Konqueror, indicating it's not machine specific (SuSe Linux). I can open them from my Windows box. It's ONLY Firefox which is timing out on about 50 percent of the sites I try to visit.
snkbyte please don't misquote me, it's not a good way to get help around here. I made that remark to a different person in respect of a different set of circumstances. In your case, I would have said it was worth checking the knowledge base for "timeout" as I know the other mods have posted a variety of solutions for tweaking the length of time FX will wait before issuing a timeout notice, and this might help your problem.

Post by Guest »

1. Type about:config in location bar
2. Find(scroll down to) network.dns.disableIPv6
3. Right click on above item
4. Choose toggle

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:1. Type about:config in location bar
2. Find(scroll down to) network.dns.disableIPv6
3. Right click on above item
4. Choose toggle

did really works?
Amun-Ra

Post by Amun-Ra »

Thanks. I think its a firewall issue on my side since the website is not accessible with IE either.
amun-ra

Post by amun-ra »

Oh and thanks for the help, hellene and "Guest". The one who posted the whole essay. ;P