Firefox hangs when coming out of hibernation & standby

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
campersand

Firefox hangs when coming out of hibernation & standby

Post by campersand »

Hi, Firefox has been acting kind of weird lately, pretty sure it's been since version 13. When I bring my computer out of hibernate or stand by mode Firefox freezes in a weird way. If I try to do something (search, open a tab, switch tabs, etc) it doesn't respond until I go down to the bottom of the screen and trigger the windows taskbar to appear (I have it on auto-hide). It'll minimize and restore fine. It never registers as "not responding" in the task manager and the memory usage has been anywhere from 30,000 to 300,000 when it happens. It happens even with addons disabled.

When I close it sometimes the memory usage skyrockets for 2 or 3 minutes before the process actually ends, sometimes it closes down within a couple seconds.

I have FF 14.0.1 on Windows XP Home Edition w/SP 3, 1.66 GHz Atom processor, 1 gig of ram (I'm on a netbook).

I can post the "troubleshooting information" too if that would help.
dfoulkes

Re: Firefox hangs when coming out of hibernation & standby

Post by dfoulkes »

When you say addons disabled... was that from safe-mode? ... or did you just go into the addons mgr. and disable them?

Also Firewall/AV products can sometimes cause weird things to go on if they haven't updated their data files properly during updates... What products do you use and ....

You might want to close Firefox, find all refs. to Firefox in those products, remove them and then start Firefox... in that way those products can get the latest data.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
campersand

Post by campersand »

Thanks for the response. I've both run firefox in safe mode and manually disabled all addons and the problem occurs in both situations.

I use COMODO firewall and Avast! antivirus, both free versions. I can't find any rules or anything like that pertaining to firefox in either application.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

OK... the FW and AV was just kind of a long shot.

When you bring your comp out of sleep mode is Firefox already running... that is, did your comp go into that mode while Firefox was running in your system. If yes, then what happens if you had closed Firefox and then put your comp in that mode... then say, the next morning you were to wake it up and then start Firefox... how does it act.

The reason I as is that one thing I'm testing here is that if I put my comp to sleep but I have Firefox minimized and say the next day I wake it up ... there are times when my Network connection will never become active and I have to reboot my comp. to get it going again. I have this happen about 1 out of 10 days of sleep... currently, I'm closing out Firefox before I put it to sleep mode and I've had no problems for about 40 days now. I'm not sure of the cause yet but that's what I'm doing to try to figure it out... so far.

Anyway, you might want to have Firefox closed when you sleep your comp... at least for a time period to see what happens... just as a test.

One thing that Firefox does when it becomes active is to re-establish some connections... maybe that's causing the issue.
campersand

Post by campersand »

If I close Firefox before putting my computer into standby or hibernation it's fine when I launch it, it's only when it's left open that the problem occurs.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

We may both have similar issues thought they act a little diff... basically, if we leave Firefox minimized and put our comps. in a sleep mode type of thing we have issues with it... mine is not so much that it won't respond but messes with my net card in some way... you're of course is diff. Both issues may be related in some way but to be honest I don't know what causes these problems... yet. I'm still testing and it's going to be another month until I'm satisfied with my testing... and then I'm going to start minimizing it again to see what happens.

Let's hope that somebody will come along here with better answers than I have :cry:
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

I have similar behavior but I always thought it was normal that the internet connection be dropped in hibernate and not reestablished until some user action is taken in the browser like clicking a tab.
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Yeah, I thought that too... but my Net connection is down (somewhere in the comp) but when I open up my Network (Windows) screen it all look normal and when I test my side of it (hardware/drivers stuff) Windows comes back stating that all is well... yet the net-icon on the Win bar show a yellow marker of sorts. "All" attempts to get to my ISP fail, even with TB ... all software that can talk to the Net. Disabling the line-device in Control panel and then enabling it does no good... wireless work OK...

The only way to resolve it so far is a Win-reboot... and... reboot of router does no good.

It is only when I have Firefox minimized and Sleep the comp. does this happen... and it happens about 1 out of 10 days so it's going to be interesting to figure out. A friend told me to get Wireshark and run it to try to catch a diff. between the good connection and the bad one but I'm waiting for another month to reallllly verify that having Firefox closed at sleepy-time clears up the issue... after that I'll start minimizing it again and watch.

As for the OP's issue... sounds different but maybe related?
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

I think it's a Gecko problem. On Instantbird, whenever Windows comes out of sleep or hibernate or low power mode or whatever, all of the open Instantbird windows display as blank. If I click on them they will usually refresh.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Maybe it does have something to do with that... don't know... it's almost like Firefox is ahead of my comp. and the router in its hand-shaking work isn't settled down yet. I do see where when I hit a button/move the mouse and my system wakes up it takes a couple of seconds for it to complete the re-connect to the network... maybe during that time Firefox is trying to establish connections and the comp. doesn't handle it correctly ... and then puts my card in a state where the only way to resolve it is to reboot the comp... tis a strange thing.
jarmy

Post by jarmy »

I've been having the same issue with XP and FF 15. I'm inside a corporate firewall and have numerous FF windows and tabs open so it could be any combination of things. I've found that the best solution is to kill the firefox.exe process then restart FF. That will allow you to at least restore FF to its previous working state.
torkiloe

Post by torkiloe »

I have this problem too.
Atom 1,66, 2G RAM, Windows XP (all SPs), FF 15.0.1.
I *think* the problem came with a new FF version (some versions back).
Have tried to remove all add-ons, reinstall FF etc. All to no effect.
The problem does not occur every time my PC exits hibernation, but it does occur quite often (>50% of the time when I turn the PC on in the morning).

As described in previous posts the problem only occurs if FF is running when entering Hibernation.
When the problem occurs I have to restart FF.

I also put my desktop PC (also Windows XP, but faster processor and more RAM) into hibernation with FF running, but I don't see the problem there.

Update: Some additional info:
When the problem occurs FF does not hang 100%, it is just *extremely* slow to respond to anything. CPU usage and disk activity is low. I am running Avast antivirus (free version).
Last edited by torkiloe on September 10th, 2012, 1:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Just to update here... I have plenty of memory and a fairly fast cpu(s)... I've closed down Firefox every time I put my comp. in sleep mode and since before the start of this topic I've not had one case where my web-connection has had a problem. I'm going to continue closing Firefox for a few weeks before sleeping my comp. and then I'm going to start minimizing it before I sleep this comp... I want to do this just to clarify the sequence of this problem. As you state... having com. issues after bringing up the comp. was a hit and miss issue... no pattern other than the fact that FF was minimized.
MacGuyver

Post by MacGuyver »

Hmm, my own issue is Win XP Pro x64 but sounds a little different from what you guys are mentioning. My only purpose in posting here is to drop some other issues after wake from standby/hibernate.

On any unsuspend/wake in my case, FFx is technically working but does not refresh/redraw most elements of the UI or content with out either right-clicking and then moving the mouse a bit, or min-maximizing or switching to another app and then back to FFx. The issue does not go away, but you can limp along a bit until it drives you nuts. Exiting and relaunching FFx restores full functionality. Had similar variations on this since FFx v11.

Has anyone in this thread tried a test downgrade to v10 (or another prior version) and had the same issues?

I detailed my own grief in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2542571
torkiloe

Post by torkiloe »

@MacGuyver:
Though my problem is somewhat different than yours, it has existed for quite a while and it could well be that it came with version 11. For each update since, I have been hoping it would go away, but so far (FF15) that hasn't happened.

I haven't tried downgrading. Can the older version be downloaded anywhere?

Edit: Found the old versions:
https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org ... /releases/
- will try.