Firefox Crashes Upon Opening

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Anonymous123

Re: Firefox Crashes Upon Opening

Post by Anonymous123 »

I have the exact problem, down to the letter.

However, it seems I can use Firefox (until I close it at least) after a fresh install.

I plan on not closing firefox until I find a new solution. I'm running Malwarebytes to check to make sure it isn't that.

Post by Guest »

Try what no-good-deed said just above - make sure Firefox is set to not clear cache or history - the setting under options -> privacy Firefox will "remember history" will do that.
Anonymous123

Post by Anonymous123 »

I changed it and it still happens.

And my malware check found nothing.

Reinstalling is the only way for me to open up firefox.
PanheadBill

Post by PanheadBill »

Several minutes into using Firefox it BSOD's, usually after using the back button or just scrolling up or down the page. This has happened since the last couple of updates. EI works and for now I'm using Chrome with success, but I'm used to firefox and would really like it to work again.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Have you tried any diagnostics at all? Mozilla Safe Mode? A new unmodified profile?
WH10

Post by WH10 »

:( Had the same problem with one of our computers. I fixed it by changing to Chrome. Another computer is having problems with Facebook. Guess I will have to get Chrome for that machine as well. Tried all the fixes I could find on the Internet, but nothing seemed to work. In fact, some of the things I was suppose to find in step 2 after successfully going through step 1 were not there. Really have enjoyed Firefox for many years and so sad to have to remove it from my computer. Thunderbird did the same thing as Firefox. Not sure what I am going to do about e-mail. Hope Mozilla gets the bugs worked out soon. Too good of a browser to go in the tank.
Cheers
James

Post by James »

Firefox any version on Windows does Not cause BSOD as it is things like a drivers or hardware issues that is causing the BSOD. You can even run Firefox completely off a usb flash drive for example. Just because some random <insert browser> seems to work fine does not automatically mean Firefox is causing the BSOD.

Have you tried disabling hardware acceleration in Firefox? You can do that from Tools-> (or Firefox button) Options -> Advanced -> General.