Waterfox with Flash & Java

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Tony67

Waterfox with Flash & Java

Post by Tony67 »

Been using Firefox for a few years now (currently on v14.0.1). I just discovered Waterfox. My question is: if I use Waterfox for browsing etc, do I need to install adobe Flash 64 bit & Java 64 bit for a better overall performance?
Also, I still use Firefox 32 bit version as well. Can I still use Flash & Java (both 64bit version) while using Firefox 32 bit version, or uninstall the 32 bit version of each and just use the 64 bit versions?

I have Win 7 64 bit

Thanks
kronckew

Re: Waterfox with Flash & Java

Post by kronckew »

waterfox is 64 bit. it needs 64 bit plugins. so you need 64 bit flash and java for waterfox.
32 bit firefox uses 32 bit plugins, so you need those as well. they both can use the same extensions (extensions and plugins are NOT the same) as they are javascript and do not depend on the bit level. plugins do. 64 bit plugins do not work in 32 bit firefox. 32 bit plugins do not work in waterfox.

best to use different profiles between the 32 and 64 bit flavours. some plugins do not come in 64 bit, so they will not work in waterfox.

i use both myself, but tend to use the 64 bit as default for no particular reason other than my OS is 64 bit. it's a toss-up as to which is faster.
CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Retired: Everyday I make a list of those things
That I am not going to do today, Then I don't do them.
Tony67

Re: Waterfox with Flash & Java

Post by Tony67 »

Thanks for the explanation Kronckew, I will use different profiles.

Thanks again, cheers! :D