Firefox-Flash saga

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
patfla

Re: Firefox-Flash saga

Post by patfla »

Dan> I'll try disabling protected mode.

fits79> backing up to v. 18.0.2 eliminated my problems with Flash hangs.
patfla

Post by patfla »

I found a beta of flash 11.8

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flas ... ashplayer/

and have tried it out with FF v 21. So far, none of the long flash hangs that I used to see.
fits79

Post by fits79 »

Guys the problem STILL REMAINS is there no solution for that?
FFman

Post by FFman »

I'm now on Flash version 11.7.700.202 Hardware Acceleration ENABLED
Firefox version 21.0 with Hardware Acceleration ON
Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)
and it's still working for me.
JWW

Post by JWW »

Astonishing. I've come back to Firefox after years of using Chrome - pretty happy with Firefox performance which is much better than it used to be, except this unresponsive Flash issue which very quickly became a 'thorn in my side'. I have tried every suggestion listed by Mozilla, et al, in an attempt to clear the issue but failed, until I found this thread. Turning off Protected Mode in Flash appears to have finally solved it, but I'm amazed that it's taken so long and the solution is so well hidden. First of all my set-up:

Windows 7 Pro x64
Firefox 27.01
Flash 12.0.0.44

Please note though that if you run 64 bit Windows and wish to try this tweak than your mms.cfg will reside here: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash

Lastly, this is of course a workaround and not a solution. Why on earth does it persist, particularly as there are clearly many, many, many people who remain frustrated by it and have even stopped using Firefox because of it? I was nearly at that point again until I tripped across the posts here. Very annoying issue but thanks to DanRaisch for persisting here in pushing the solution forward.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Locking due to the age of the original posts.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Just for clarity, please note that the work around for the problem involves changes to the files for Flash, which is provided by Adobe and not by Mozilla. If you want to know why a real solution is so long in coming you will need to ask Adobe as it is not a problem with Firefox itself.