Firefox-Flash saga

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
patrickjdempsey

Re: Firefox-Flash saga

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Flash resets your options to the defaults on just about every update... I have to disable HWA and set the volume down every time.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Gopher John

Post by Gopher John »

I've had good luck with Flash retaining it's settings on the WinXP Pro SP3 limited user accounts while updating. I've had to reset Flash settings on the one Admin account. It reset the Allow storage to allow on all accounts this update.

Flash update reset a few things this time on Win 7 SP1 on all accounts.
The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them. - Albert Einstein
FFman

Post by FFman »

FFman wrote:
Gopher John wrote:FWIW, current Flash version is 11.5.502.146, and this version is a security update, as usual :-" :roll: .
http://www.adobe.com/support/security/bulletins/apsb13-01.html

If anyone is using Adobe Reader, there is a new security release for it, also. http://www.adobe.com/support/security/bulletins/apsb13-02.html

I usually wait until it asks to update before updating Flash.
When it does I'll do the checks again, as mentioned in Ortho_Fan's post.

I've just updated to Flash 11.5.502.146 and everything still seems OK; and no crashes etc.
Ortho_Fan

Post by Ortho_Fan »

Well, I just re-enabled Protected Mode by deleting ProtectedMode=0 from the mms.cfg file, to see how well Flash Player 11.5.502.146 works with Firefox 18.0, and played a few videos, and even closed FF while one was playing. No crash reports/no dmp files.

Then I re-booted my PC and tried it again. No crash reports, however, a new *.dmp (minidump) file was created. Since I don't want to see hundreds generated over time, as was the case before, I re-disabled Protected Mode.

Guess it will NEVER be fixed, or if it is, it won't work with my @#$#@ computer!

Ortho_Fan
fourwinds67

Post by fourwinds67 »

On OS windows vista 32bits, haven't update ff since ver. 14.0.1, actually did (when ver.15 was released) but restored back to ver. 14.0.1 because of the video hanging and stutter problems...
Yesterday I tried to update to ff ver.18.0.2 having read that the flash video problem "seemed' to be solved....
well not quite so , for me anyhow !
Actually much less stuttering than the horrendous ver.15, but still every two or three minutes over the run of any video...and this strange sensation of lack of smoothness when video plays...!!!!
disabling the protected mode in the mms.cfg file didn't do any good...!!!!!
so here I am back to good old ff 14.0.1 !!!!
awaiting for better days !
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You haven't been reading enough. All of these problems with Flash come from the Flash side of the situation, not from Firefox. Did you also disable hardware acceleration in both Firefox and Flash?
fourwinds67

Post by fourwinds67 »

Is the Saga still running...!!!!

Have any of the latest updates from Adobe and/or Mozilla fixed the problem ?!
FFman

Post by FFman »

fourwinds67 wrote:Is the Saga still running...!!!!

I've had several updates since my last post and I've had no problems.
Currently on Adobe 11.6.602.171 and Firefox 19.0.2
MarkRH

Post by MarkRH »

FFman wrote:

I've been running Flash 11.6.602.180 (recently updated) and FF 19.0.2 without any issues.
fourwinds67

Post by fourwinds67 »

MarkRH wrote:
FFman wrote:

I've been running Flash 11.6.602.180 (recently updated) and FF 19.0.2 without any issues.

Is that with or without all the workaround tricks : Disabling Hardware acceleration, disabling the protected mode etc.. ????
FFman

Post by FFman »

I've just checked to make sure and there is no workaround.
Hardware acceleration is ON.
I'm now on Flash version 11.6.602.180 Windows 7 (64-bit) and the mms.cfg file contains:

AutoUpdateDisable=0
SilentAutoUpdateEnable=0
MarkRH

Post by MarkRH »

fourwinds67 wrote:Is that with or without all the workaround tricks : Disabling Hardware acceleration, disabling the protected mode etc.. ????

Hardware Acceleration is enabled everywhere and it's running in Protected mode (Windows 7). My combination of hardware/drivers/software just lets everything work fine. Win 7 Pro 64bit, NVidia Geforce Ti550 w/ 296.10 drivers.
fourwinds67

Post by fourwinds67 »

Thanks to FFman and MarkRH for the feed back and experience sharing..
I did update from FF 14.0.1 to 19.0.2, seemed OK for a while, even if running few youtube video showed some (very few) video hiccups, purely video (no audio problems at all ---> 100% OK ) , I thought never mind, can live with that !...
But then the "unacceptable" happened, upon opening several FF tabs. the Flash Player plug-in ( ver 11.6.602.180) would "miserably" crash under windows Data Execution Prevention "scheme".....happened once, twice, three times.....I ran back restoring that good old FF 14.0.1....which has proved, as far as my machine is concerned, the last stable and problem free version of FF when updating Flash player regularly....
Reflecting on this nagging problem as a non-professional and purely amateur, I would say that OS window vista 32 bits is not the best thing to be rolling on...!!!!!
As, on a another machine (that I get to manage from time to time) under OS windows 7 64 bits, I have always ran all the FF and Flash player updates and never encountered any of these glitches and annoying malfunctions......

Waiting for better days ( i.e versions).....!!!!
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Before blaming it on the OS or the version of Firefox, check into the video drivers in use on each of those systems. And have you disabled protected mode in Flash? http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1018071
mimi123

Post by mimi123 »

I have had problems with Shockwave Flash the last few days, after its most recent update (11.7.700.169). It crashes constantly and I can't look at websites. This is the error message I get:
Warning: Shockwave Flash may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You can stop the plugin now, or you can continue to see if the plugin will complete. "Continue" "Stop Plugin".

It doesn't matter which option I choose, the browser closes every time. What can I do, or is there an alternative product out there to replace Shockwave Flash? Reading online it seems it has a lot of problems.
Thank you.