Summary of Can't Connect/timeout Solutions

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
hellene

Post by hellene »

Ballack, we've put everything we know into this thread. We can't tell why only one site won't load - especially if you don't post a link.

bguest - if Firefox sometimes connects the problem isn't your firewall. When you say "constant reloads" do you mean page loads or firefox restarts? Have you checked the settings on your machine against those on the computers that do work?
I don't know how to do any of this stuff, I just hire the guys that do
Have you considered reading the HELP folder. Right there on your menu bar.
Image by Juniper http onic.net/~daylight/ - Xmas special by Ol Grumpy
L.A.R. Grizzly

Re: Summary of Can't Connect/timeout Solutions

Post by L.A.R. Grizzly »

craigevil wrote:I have not played around with these setting so I am not quite sure if raising or lowering the numbers is the best answer.
network.dnsCacheExpiration 60 (seconds)
network.dnsCacheEntries 20 (entries)
Hardcoded, not visible in about:config.
Create and set both values to "0" to disable.

craigevil,

Could you tell me what to create: String, Integer, or Boolean?

Thanx!
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.0.1, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.8.0esr, Thunderbird 115.8.1, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18
itfidds

Post by itfidds »

I have been having the 'The document contains no data' error for sometime now. I have tried every solution posted on this (and other) websites!

I do not get problems with IE nor Opera.

The only solution that I found was to stop my Panda Internet Security (8.05.02)
It is no good just configuring the automatic protection to disabled - you have to close automatic protection completely

However, this is not an ideal solution. I have just purchased the upgrade to Panda Internet Security 2005 and will see if this makes a difference.
If it does not, it is unlikely that I will change AV product as Panda is excellent. I will probably stop using FireFox and go back to Opera (boo-hoo!!!)

Here's hoping...
Roger77

Post by Roger77 »

But Panda causes the problem in some circumstances.
<a href="http://www.pandasoftware.com/support/card.aspx?idSolucion=43&idProducto=35&idNecesitoAyuda=&idDeseo=&id=20508&IdIdioma=2">How do I solve it if I have Panda</a>
itfidds

Post by itfidds »

Rather subjective!

I have been using Panda for over 4 years and have not had any problems with other applications
Panda still works OK
Only Firefox has problems with Panda

Perhaps the Mozilla developers could talk with Panda?
Roger77

Post by Roger77 »

If Panda is blocking Firefox, then it's not working OK.

p.s. Did you read Panda's hotfix for the problem that I included with the above message?
itfidds

Post by itfidds »

Hi Roger,

I see what you mean - but I still say it's subjective. Almost chicken and egg!

From my perspective, just because Panda blocks FireFox doesn't mean that Panda isn't working properly - it could be that FireFox is badly written and doesn't 'behave' itself?

Either way, they are 2 fantastic products. But, due to my work in IT technical support and security, I would want to retain Panda for the complete protection of my PCs.

And yes, I did check out the Panda hotfix sometime ago, but it is not relevant to the version of Panda that I have been running...
miran

Post by miran »

AnotherGuest. wrote:Part of the DNS problem may be due to a bug in Windows that may exacerbate the DNS problem. At least I would call it a bug. I wouldn't be surprised if other OSs do this too. <b>Here's an explanation of the problem and to fix it: How to keep DNS Errors from slowing you down!</b> Here's another explanation. Search for "Reduce DNS errors in Windows 2000/XP".

What happens is that <b>domain name service fails and your computer <i>caches the negative result!</i></b> So when you try again, your computer checks the cache and tells you again (and again and again) that the domain name lookup failed. Then after a little while you try IE, which of course works, with a little help from Murphy's Law, because the cache has finally expired. When Hellene tells you to flush the DNS cache, that helps. But even better, the link <i>tells you how to disable caching of failed lookups.</i>

Caveat: the solution sounds good, but I haven't tried it, and can't try it because I've never had the problem.

Edit: <b>Here's a Microsoft document that shows how to disable the negative cache:</b> http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... -us;318803 . Note that the script in the link above appears to be more comprehensive than Microsoft's version, but the names of the fields are somewhat different. I suggest that you look at both and use your own judgement.

Here's a very <b>handy Microsoft reference on using IPCONFIG to diagnose network problems:</b> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/docu ... onfig.mspx .

<b>If you just need a quick, on-the-spot fix</b>
Go to the Windows Start menu. Run --> cmd
(or Run --> command)
In the command processor window type in ipconfig /flushdns

Thank you so much for this info.

I tried it (I love to mess around with the registry ... probably because MS keeps telling you not to) and it works. By that I mean that if you do this and you get the can't-find-error, it isn't cached and by repeatedly clicking on the link you may actually pull up the site.

I've set Firefox to permit all in Norton's Firewall but there still seems to be something that interrupts the search for a site.

Still looking for improvements ...............
AnotherGuest.

Post by AnotherGuest. »

miran wrote:Still looking for improvements ..............

Here's everything I've got on it: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 20#1368320 . In the worst case you use an alternate DNS service.

Another hint: check ZoneAlarm for DNS settings. Disclaimer: I know nothing about this. If you know something, now is the time to mention it. :)
Mig190

Post by Mig190 »

I'm having the same problem. Only one website is getting the "Connection timed out." (www.darkhorizons.com) I have read this whole post and nothing has seemed to work. The page also does not load up through IE and the page loaded up at work just fine, so I have no idea what is going on. I noticed this problem when XP updated itself about a week ago.
AnotherGuest.

Post by AnotherGuest. »

Mig, try this. When that happens, flush the DNS (See Miran's post above).

If you like that, try running this:
net stop dnscache .

Let us know if it works.

Post by Guest »

My difficulty (and bear with me as I am not an expert as you all are) is that not only am I getting a lot of "time outs" but it appears that ANYTHING I type in the URL line gives me a "website not found" error.

I have to "backdoor" my way into almost all web pages anymore (assuming that will work without a timeout) by googling something and clicking on a link there. I am getting so frustrated with Firefox. This just started happening - I did not install anything new except the FF upgrade 1.05 (but deleted it and went back to 1.04 - worked for awhile, then same thing - I keep having to reinstall the browser.) Actually AFRAID to upgrade to 1.06 since clearly the upgrade to 1.05 caused me all these problems.

This is really starting to blow.
Mig190

Post by Mig190 »

Before my last post, I had tried the flush DNS command to no avail. I ran the "net stop dnscache" and it still didn't work. I looked at the other commands possible and didthe released command and it cleared my IP address. My connection was lost for a few seconds and windows was able to reconnect. During that process it tried to clear the DNS itself and it was unable to. Now I try the flush command again and it now fails to execute. I'm on the phone (on hold) with my internet service waiting to see if they have anything. Any other ideas? From what I have read, this seems to be a new and growing problem with everybody.
Mig190

Post by Mig190 »

Well, I just got off the phone with my ISP and they helped me at least see where things are going wrong. They had me run 'tracert www.darkhorizons.com' at the Command Prompt to trace the hoping pattern between my computer and to the website. The connection timed out at some other server. It didn't fix the problem, but it at least showed me where things went wrong and who I can contact . So for anyone else having problems, just type 'tracert' and the website address in the CMD. Remember, no quotation marks.
AnotherGuest.

Post by AnotherGuest. »

Mig190 wrote:...just type 'tracert' and the website address in the CMD

A good idea. At least now you know the problem is not in your computer.