FireFox freezing on when executed?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
HeilBush

Post by HeilBush »

I had a similar problem for quite some time, but I wasn't using Switchproxy. I was using FoxyTunes with WinAmp, and I finally figured out that Firefox would lag every time in sync with Winamp. So I stoped using it, and it still isn't one hundred percent better--once every few hours or so I get a lag--but it's much better.
Proxyslut

Post by Proxyslut »

Yes, the switchproxy tool is causing 15-20 sec 'hanging' on my pc too. Disabling the auto update seems to get around it, so all is not lost.
old FatJohn

Post by old FatJohn »

Freezing -> Prescott Pentium 4 Hyperthreading?
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=230393

Freezing -> Switch Proxy extension?
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=225232
rodeostar8

Re: FireFox freezing on when executed?

Post by rodeostar8 »

haifista wrote:My FF loads up, then freezes anywhere from 5 to 30 seconds. This is extremely annoying? Does anyone else have this problem? Is it spyware? Should I post sys. specs.?
:!: i dont know a who;e lot about any of this but i suspect(paranoid?) it has something to do with my browser-it seems freeze .com has taken over and just that-freezes up or leaves me in outer space 1 screen saver and regret for life--i cant get rid of it --HELP???? no pun intended!
hellene

Post by hellene »

rodeostar, It is nothing to do with Firefox. Use some reputable antispy/anti adware to get rid of any lurking nasties left by myfreeze.com or any others. Get rid of the freeze homepage by locating a file called user.js, opening it in notepad, and removing any lines referring to myfreeze.com
I don't know how to do any of this stuff, I just hire the guys that do
Have you considered reading the HELP folder. Right there on your menu bar.
Image by Juniper http onic.net/~daylight/ - Xmas special by Ol Grumpy
Dalo

Post by Dalo »

I don't have any extensions, and it stills freezes when I go to some
loaded pages, that doesn't happen with IE, so I suppose it's a ff
problem.
doogus

firefox freezing

Post by doogus »

What the hell is switchproxy? How can I unload something if I dont know what it is or where to find it? I have an iMac.
batts13

Post by batts13 »

I have imac Sys OSX 10.28 - I used FF 1.0 w/no problems. Upgrade to FF 1.5 always crashes - especially when filling in forms!! Anyone help? Thanks
ToMMyHR

Post by ToMMyHR »

Same prob here and I don't use any of the above mentioned extensions. Sometimes (quite often actually) when I go to a page it just hangs, eventually it loads but it's rather annoying. I never had that problem until I upgraded to 1.5. :(
Prestonkh

Post by Prestonkh »

Mine freezes sometimes when I am trying to fill out a form. The extensions I'm using are DOM Inspector , Talkback, StumbleUpon, Answers, and PayPal Send Money. Could any of these be causing the freezing? I always just force-quit and then get back on and it will freeze at the same place where I fill out the form unless I click on the auto-fill that appears below the cursor. Then its fine as long as I'm using a word that I have used before and therefore appears in the drop-down menu so I can just click on it. It sure is annoying and it sure did not freeze before I reinstalled my Mac OS 10.2.8 and downloaded the newest version.

Post by Guest »

A bug in Firefox 1.5 prevents it from running properly in OS 10.2.8. You have to go back to Firefox 1.0.7. The next update to 1.5, apparently coming soon, fixes the bug.
jundam

Post by jundam »

i have had the same problem also. since upgrading to 1.5, it tends to hang for a few seconds randomly. it didn't do this when i was using earlier versions (except for once in a version i was using pre 1.0). i've also tried uninstalling all my themes and extensions and nothing helps.
old FatJohn

Post by old FatJohn »

Did you do a clean install? If you want to, there's how to do it http://kb.mozillazine.org/Uninstalling_Firefox

Note that you might want to backup your profile http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/profile#locate
ZillaFox

Firefox keeps freezing!

Post by ZillaFox »

Dear all,

Really sorry if I'm just repeating a problem that has been posted over and over..but I notice that many people are having problems with FF just freezing or 'hanging' and I'm really at my wits' end!

Usually it happens when I'm typing an email address or something and the little drop-down menu appears with stored form info or whatever..then firefox just freezes, I have always had to make it "Force Quit" (I have an Apple Powerbook, Mac OS 10.28) and I'm concerned that I'm making the problem worse by just killing the application all the time! Please advise me what to do! I'n not very tecchy so step-by-step help would be brill!

Thank you!

x
Dudly

Re: Firefox keeps freezing!

Post by Dudly »

ZillaFox wrote:Dear all,

Really sorry if I'm just repeating a problem that has been posted over and over..but I notice that many people are having problems with FF just freezing or 'hanging' and I'm really at my wits' end!

Usually it happens when I'm typing an email address or something and the little drop-down menu appears with stored form info or whatever..then firefox just freezes, I have always had to make it "Force Quit" (I have an Apple Powerbook, Mac OS 10.28) and I'm concerned that I'm making the problem worse by just killing the application all the time! Please advise me what to do! I'n not very tecchy so step-by-step help would be brill!

Thank you!

x

I am having the very same problem -- I have win98se -- done the clean install and the whole round of 'bits and bites' --
And this new upgrade, update - whatever -- has made things so slow it is making me crazy :-({|=

I also have to Force Quit -- after every single download -- I have not changed any of my softward -- I never had this problem before having to change to this darn "update" version -- this is the "pits"! :2gunfire:

If they are going to make an "improvement" -- then it should BE one -- not this kind of "bugger"!
](*,)