How to configure Norton Internet Security (NIS)

User Help for Mozilla Firefox

Post by Guest »

Hi Hellene:

I had precisely that problem this morning and was going crazy. By instinct I did what you so clearly and orderly explained. I just wished I would have read your message before.

Thank you very much for such a crystal clear instructions.

Regards, :-)
MeanDean

Post by MeanDean »

Thank you! I was wondering why it was saying, looking for this and that page. I didn't have to boot - my Norton Firewall was blocking it all. Dang.

Post by Guest »

My heros... all of you...
eagle

Post by eagle »

I ditched norton and my system boots and shuts down faster. its gotton so bloated.
heres a link to some free anti-virus/firewall to use.
http://www.geocities.com/theeagles_page ... _page.html
henry1

Trouble with firewall. Instructions here did not fix it.

Post by henry1 »

I am using NIS 2005 with Personal Firewall. I followed the directions given here, but Firefox still cannot penetrate my firewall. I deleted references to Firefox in my firewall and then rebooted. I then added Firefox and set Permit All and then rebooted. Still no luck.
henry1

Post by henry1 »

I removed the NIS firewall settings for all Mozilla settings, rebooted, and then did a program scan. No luck. Does anyone have any advice?

Post by Guest »

Get rid of NIS and just use ZoneAlarm free & ANTIVIR free This combo works great for me & little bloat.
henry1

Still no luck with my firewall. This is getting frustrating.

Post by henry1 »

In the past NIS disabled my Windows Firewall, but now it seems to be active. In the Security Center main menu, the firewall is on, but in the control panel it is off. I entered exceptions for all Mozilla programs in the Exceptions tab, and in the Advanced tab I disabled the Windows firewall for each email account. Still no luck. Firefox still cannot get through.

If anyone has some advice, please tell me.

Post by Guest »

mine is set to premit all, but I still get a "page cannot be found" error
occenal

NIS locks up after making Manual Program Control change

Post by occenal »

The post by Hellene at the very top would have been helpful except that when I try to change the settings in step 5 (Internet Access and Category) and click OK, NIS locks up! Has this happened to anyone out there? I have searched Symantec's help forum to no avail.
a;skdjfajf;ak

Re: NIS locks up after making Manual Program Control change

Post by a;skdjfajf;ak »

occenal wrote:The post by Hellene at the very top would have been helpful except that when I try to change the settings in step 5 (Internet Access and Category) and click OK, NIS locks up! Has this happened to anyone out there? I have searched Symantec's help forum to no avail.

I saw a post similiar to this someplace..now can't put my finger on it...
Seems the system was locking up trying to 'remove' an entry.
As I recall .. I think the work-around was to 'disable' the firewall...then remove the entry...

Re: NIS locks up after making Manual Program Control change

Post by Guest »

Littlemutt wrote:I saw a post similiar to this someplace..now can't put my finger on it...
Seems the system was locking up trying to 'remove' an entry.
As I recall .. I think the work-around was to 'disable' the firewall...then remove the entry...

The above was a life-saver :D
I just wish that NIS had the sense to make those steps more obvious in its instructions.

Like many in this forum, I had problems getting the latest Firefox version (1.0.6) to work with NIS 5. This is what worked for me. I first removed the older version of Firefox using Control Panel-Add/Remove. Then I followed Littlemutt's instructions to disable the firewall and manually remove Firefox from the program control list. Then I installed the latest FireFox version. Finally, I again disabled the firewall and manually added Firefox to the program control list (you will be asked to browse the program executable firefox.exe). Now it works fine.
w8forme

Post by w8forme »

i have performed all the steps recommended above & performed a program scan in NIS '05, but my FF 1.0.6 still does not connect to the internet at all. any other steps recommended, anybody??

i'm using FF 1.0.6 on a win xp system.

Post by Guest »

Thank you! The most helpful suggestion!!!

Post by Guest »

This is crazy. Firefox was working fine before I upgraded to 1.0.6. I've changed the settings as shown at the beginning of this post with NIS '05 and I can't get on firefox without disabling NIS, which I don't want to do. Makes me want to go back to IE!!! What can I do?